Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

So Who thinks it’s gonna be an April fools joke

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
So Who thinks it’s gonna be an April fools joke
Post by Lunan   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:35 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

So what do we think. April Fools or legit? (The earc release of course)

I’m 60% legit 40% April fools
Will find out in 12.5 hours
Re: So Who thinks it’s gonna be an April fools joke
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It wouldn't be much of a successful joke to me.

There is no way I can read the final book in digital format. No sirree Bob. I gotta hear the rustling of leaves and experience the romance of paper cuts. Technology has transformed the joy of reading into a somewhat emotionless act. I've never been able to consume the first read in eBook form. Blah!

And just like it is anticlimactic to slam a cell phone down in lieu of a landline to emphatically hang up on someone in anger, tossing an eBook reader against a wall doesn't have the same effect either.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:55 am

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

100% legit. Both Himself, Herself, and Toni have confirmed.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:09 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

NervousEnergy wrote:100% legit. Both Himself, Herself, and Toni have confirmed.

That's my reading, too. Only the exact time it goes online is questionable. The last e-ARCs went online around midday, Baen-HQ-timezone. (That's GMT-5 hours) But maybe, because they want to have a quiet holiday, with no complainings in Baen's Bar, at Twitter or whereever they will make it available early ...?
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It wouldn't be much of a successful joke to me.

There is no way I can read the final book in digital format. No sirree Bob. I gotta hear the rustling of leaves and experience the romance of paper cuts. Technology has transformed the joy of reading into a somewhat emotionless act. I've never been able to consume the first read in eBook form. Blah!

And just like it is anticlimactic to slam a cell phone down in lieu of a landline to emphatically hang up on someone in anger, tossing an eBook reader against a wall doesn't have the same effect either.

Acquiring the latest book of one of your favorite authors, is like going on a safari and stalking your prey on the bookshelves in the sci-fi section, amongst other dangerous animals threatening you with purchase. You come upon the grazing grounds of your quarry, sliding your hand and eyes down the underbrush until "There he is! Get him!" Having cornered and captured your prey, you examine him for injuries and bruises, throwing him back for another if finding any. Finally satisfied with your capture, you cradle your prey by tying him up in your arms and you take him to the register to declare him for transport. When you get him home, you slowly and methodically examine each and every detail about him. He sees in your eyes that he'd better be good or he's going to end up slammed up against the wall. If he turns out to be a formidable prey, you mount him on your bookshelf for display.

How can anyone cheat themselves from that time honored tradition between hunter and prey? EBooks are only for convenience and reference, after the fact. My sister says that EBooks are the fake jewelry that you wear when you don't wish to display the real deal, exposing it to theft. LOL

I must agree.

Last edited by cthia on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by munroburton   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 pm

munroburton
Admiral

I would advise releasing it today, just in case there are any electronic gremlins waiting to appear tomorrow and turn it into a real April Fool. ;)
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:26 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

munroburton wrote:I would advise releasing it today, just in case there are any electronic gremlins waiting to appear tomorrow and turn it into a real April Fool. ;)

Oh joy! You mean to get the e-arc I need another piece of obsolescent electronic junk? And its an unedited version so I need the hard back too! Well heck, boy Howdy, Sign me up

NOT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Randomiser   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Much as I like RFC's writing, I am not going to buy more than one copy of anything, and would much rather have the version RFC is happy with than an unedited draft, so I'm waiting the 6 months till the real version comes out.
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:It wouldn't be much of a successful joke to me.

I'm with you on that! Paper for me.

I shall have to keep a beady eye our for spolier warning ... sigh

BTW i have seen 2 quite different prices from Book depository and Amazon... I would have thought that the big companies would be quite similar in pricing!
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:33 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

pappilon wrote:
munroburton wrote:I would advise releasing it today, just in case there are any electronic gremlins waiting to appear tomorrow and turn it into a real April Fool. ;)

Oh joy! You mean to get the e-arc I need another piece of obsolescent electronic junk? And its an unedited version so I need the hard back too! Well heck, boy Howdy, Sign me up

NOT

If you want any editorial fixes between eARC and publication then yes, you'd need to get the hardback or final ebook. The first part, though, is off base. Baen sells ebooks in any form you want without DRM. If you're posting on this forum you can read the book without buying 'obsolescent electronic junk'.

Return to Honorverse