Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 59 guests

So Who thinks it’s gonna be an April fools joke

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: So Who thinks it’s gonna be an April fools joke
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:35 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

isaac_newton wrote:I'm with you on that! Paper for me.

I shall have to keep a beady eye our for spolier warning ... sigh

BTW i have seen 2 quite different prices from Book depository and Amazon... I would have thought that the big companies would be quite similar in pricing!

Caveat emptor? Let the price wars begin!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:38 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

NervousEnergy wrote:
pappilon wrote:

Oh joy! You mean to get the e-arc I need another piece of obsolescent electronic junk? And its an unedited version so I need the hard back too! Well heck, boy Howdy, Sign me up

NOT

If you want any editorial fixes between eARC and publication then yes, you'd need to get the hardback or final ebook. The first part, though, is off base. Baen sells ebooks in any form you want without DRM. If you're posting on this forum you can read the book without buying 'obsolescent electronic junk'.

Nice. TY. Still probably pass.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:42 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Randomiser wrote:Much as I like RFC's writing, I am not going to buy more than one copy of anything, and would much rather have the version RFC is happy with than an unedited draft, so I'm waiting the 6 months till the real version comes out.

Mmmm... I suspect that RFC is at least "happy" with it or he wouldn't have submitted it for publication in the first place.

We live in an imperfect world. A few flaws generally are acceptable.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by ti3x   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:33 pm

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

OrlandoNative wrote:
Randomiser wrote:Much as I like RFC's writing, I am not going to buy more than one copy of anything, and would much rather have the version RFC is happy with than an unedited draft, so I'm waiting the 6 months till the real version comes out.

Mmmm... I suspect that RFC is at least "happy" with it or he wouldn't have submitted it for publication in the first place.

We live in an imperfect world. A few flaws generally are acceptable.

Considering the previous e-arcs which he was happy with I'm going to say that that isn't a super high bar. That's not to say that he is bad or anything, just that good editors that catch inconsistencies (not just grammar and spelling errors) are worth their weight in gold, even for writers that feel they're persnickety when it comes to checking their manuscripts.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Plus, some of the hard backs seem to stand some editing as well. Potential editing errors isn't why I wouldn't purchase an eBook until after the initial read.

I'm just an incurable romantic. I like going into a bookstore and hunting down my quarry. Bookstores are wonderful places. When my wife and I, or my family members and I, enter bookstores, the proprietors perk up. It's going to be a very good day for them. They can close up shop for the day after we leave -- with hired sheep dogs herding our prey from falling from our clutches. LOL

I get excited about a trip to the bookstore. I doubt I could ever feel that way in anticipation of an eBook.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:14 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I buy earc's and ebooks these days because I'm not sure where I could put a new book shelf.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:19 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Living in Australia I have to order my books to ensure they come here. Still remember from a couple of years ago going to pick up a new one to find I'd received a Weber, Stirling and Turtledove all at once. Family wondered if I had died for a few days.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:34 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

ti3x wrote:Considering the previous e-arcs which he was happy with I'm going to say that that isn't a super high bar. That's not to say that he is bad or anything, just that good editors that catch inconsistencies (not just grammar and spelling errors) are worth their weight in gold, even for writers that feel they're persnickety when it comes to checking their manuscripts.

Perhaps. But one sometimes has to wonder about differing definitions of "good". That editing should take place long before any of these books get to paperback, but I've seen some pretty obvious errors in several of them.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:
ti3x wrote:Considering the previous e-arcs which he was happy with I'm going to say that that isn't a super high bar. That's not to say that he is bad or anything, just that good editors that catch inconsistencies (not just grammar and spelling errors) are worth their weight in gold, even for writers that feel they're persnickety when it comes to checking their manuscripts.

Perhaps. But one sometimes has to wonder about differing definitions of "good". That editing should take place long before any of these books get to paperback, but I've seen some pretty obvious errors in several of them.

The difference is not all that much. Further, DW handed in the manuscript a month or so ago. We can assume that at least one person has read through it and made some changes.

By the way, mistakes still get through.

I don't worry all that much about minor differences. When I can get favorite authors, I go.

Return to Honorverse