Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

And another out of order snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: And another out of order snippet #2
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:55 am

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:Flight Control? That's not the same as Astro Control in the Manticoran system? What ships would it be, doing 400Gs and intercepting debris and dead pods?

Flight Control is the operations controller for a ship's boat bay and near environment. They would be responsible for dispatching crews and managing their flight/crew rest time. But we know that rules are made to be broken, especially where lives are at stake. The former USAF Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Service (now part of Air Force Special Operations Command, mostly) had the motto, "That others might live."
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Crew rest rules have combat exceptions, but they are moderate extensions, not “there are no rules”. People crashing doesn’t tend to get useful work done.
Post by clancy688   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:43 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:Insufficient info in this snippet. However based on the previous snippets, + the seeming lack maintenance of sefety pods, I would infer that it is not in the Manticoral system. Quite probably Cachalot since that is the only planet being mentioned yet in the snippets as at the verge of an Operation Buccaneer attack. Yet there is mntion of others, so, may not be Cachalot. But probably not anywhere in SEM space.

I never thought this is in the Manticore system.

But I don't think it's necessarily in Cachalot either. It could be in Beowulf. :)
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:17 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

We could be erroneously assuming that this is Manty, or allied, debris and a dead Manty aboard a Manty pod. By the nature of the amount of debris implied by textev, this could be the aftermath of Solarian destruction and poor Solarian souls and orbital debris.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ti3x   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

cthia wrote:We could be erroneously assuming that this is Manty, or allied, debris and a dead Manty aboard a Manty pod. By the nature of the amount of debris implied by textev, this could be the aftermath of Solarian destruction and poor Solarian souls and orbital debris.

Why would anyone think this is Manty? I mean, Beowulfian, maybe, but Manty? That would make the least amount of sense.
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ti3x wrote:
cthia wrote:We could be erroneously assuming that this is Manty, or allied, debris and a dead Manty aboard a Manty pod. By the nature of the amount of debris implied by textev, this could be the aftermath of Solarian destruction and poor Solarian souls and orbital debris.

Why would anyone think this is Manty? I mean, Beowulfian, maybe, but Manty? That would make the least amount of sense.

I certainly agree. But the collective consensus seems to be that it isn't the Beowulf system. And on account of the compassion displayed for the poor souls involved, would make one initially think they are either Manty lives, or at least non-Solarian.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:56 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ti3x wrote:Why would anyone think this is Manty? I mean, Beowulfian, maybe, but Manty? That would make the least amount of sense.

cthia wrote:I certainly agree. But the collective consensus seems to be that it isn't the Beowulf system. And on account of the compassion displayed for the poor souls involved, would make one initially think they are either Manty lives, or at least non-Solarian.

I think that's ... pretty cold. I am assuming that it is somewhere not SEM, because there's nothing left to blow up yet. It may be Beowulf. But I'm assuming its some SDF or customs patrol or whatever this system has. 2 person crew, its obviously not a LAC, probably a pinnace. Just because we're doing snippets of SLN Operation Buccaneer, I'm assuming it is the aftermath of just such an attack.

She reminds me of a certain newly female ensign of the GSN immediately after Oyster Bay as she was searching Blackbird for survivors. Its her planet's people she's searching for, nor the SLN perpetrators doing the searching, IMHO. But I admit that I could be wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

ti3x wrote:Why would anyone think this is Manty? I mean, Beowulfian, maybe, but Manty? That would make the least amount of sense.

cthia wrote:I certainly agree. But the collective consensus seems to be that it isn't the Beowulf system. And on account of the compassion displayed for the poor souls involved, would make one initially think they are either Manty lives, or at least non-Solarian.

I think that's ... pretty cold. I am assuming that it is somewhere not SEM, because there's nothing left to blow up yet. It may be Beowulf. But I'm assuming its some SDF or customs patrol or whatever this system has. 2 person crew, its obviously not a LAC, probably a pinnace. Just because we're doing snippets of SLN Operation Buccaneer, I'm assuming it is the aftermath of just such an attack.

She reminds me of a certain newly female ensign of the GSN immediately after Oyster Bay as she was searching Blackbird for survivors. Its her planet's people she's searching for, nor the SLN perpetrators doing the searching, IMHO. But I admit that I could be wrong.

I think your logic is sound. Except that I doubt it's Beowulf because of the limited officers on duty to effect the search. I don't think Beowulfan space would experience such a shortage, especially with the new rooster living right next door and hanging out in system watching over the eggs in the henhouse.

Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:31 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I think your logic is sound. Except that I doubt it's Beowulf because of the limited officers on duty to effect the search. I don't think Beowulfan space would experience such a shortage, especially with the new rooster living right next door and hanging out in system watching over the eggs in the henhouse.

I am also dubious that it is Beowulf. Kinda hopes the italics would indicate my sense of the dubious. can't imagine there being only one or a scant handful of craft flying SAR missio

ns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by SCC   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:47 am

SCC
Commander

How about Mansa as the possible location for this snippet?

Return to Honorverse