Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests

And another out of order snippet #2

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
And another out of order snippet #2
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Not going to say where this comes in the book. :twisted:

I will say that there is no internal editing, however.

Paulette Kilgore should have been grounded by Flight Control. For that matter, she should damned well have grounded herself, and she knew it. Tired pilots made mistakes; exhausted pilots made catastrophic ones.

Screw it, she thought drunkenly. There’s nobody aboard but me and John, and he’d be even more pissed off than me if somebody did try to yank us.

“Got something at zero-three-eight,” Sergeant Debnam said, as if her thought had summoned the announcement.

“Like what?” Kilgore asked, automatically swinging the nose to the indicated bearing. The question came out slurred by fatigue, she realized, but Debnam appeared not to notice.

“Dunno,” he said. “Could just be another chunk of debris — God knows there’s enough of that,” he added bitterly.

Got that right, John, she thought with equal bitterness. Four of the last five radar targets they’d intercepted had been just that: debris. The fifth had been a life pod, its transponder as dead as the young woman aboard it. Kilgore didn’t like to think about how that young woman had died, alone in a dead pod, slowly bleeding to death from her internal injuries. But Debnam had gone EVA to bring her aboard and Kilgore had left her flight couch to help him stow her, gently and reverently, in the passenger compartment beside the two skinsuited corpses they’d already recovered.

“Got no transponder, but it’s about the right size,” Debnam continued. “Range . . . forty-three-point-six thousand klicks. We’ve got an opening velocity of about two hundred KPS.”

“What’s that make our intercept time?”

The question was a dead giveaway of her exhaustion. That was the kind of solution she did in her head every day.

“’Bout . . . fifty seconds to match velocity at four hundred gravs, then three-point-eight minutes to actually catch it,” Debnam replied.

“Well, let’s go find out if somebody got a little luckier this time around,” Kilgore said, and goosed the impellers.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: And another out of order snippet #2
Post by ti3x   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:46 am

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I should not be awake right now. I have to get up in the morning.

<goes back to refreshing the forum page for the in order snippet #2>
Post by Eagleeye   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

Thank you, very much, RFC, for this new snippet!

If I should make a guess - based on the snippets so far - I would put it into a system after it had the dubious fortune to be the host of an Operation-Buccaneer-visit ... maybe Cachalot?
Post by Randomiser   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:02 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

This seems a fairly random snippet; there has been some kind of attack or battle somewhere and this workaholic is doing S&R afterwards. And this tells us???
Post by clancy688   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:18 am

clancy688
Captain of the List

I'm wondering if the pilot is related to the Marine LT ("Liam Kilgore") in OBS...? If she's a Manticoran. :D
Post by Lunan   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:20 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

Eridani violations and more Eridani violations. What happens when the star nation that issued the edict is the one violating it

runsforcelery wrote:Not going to say where this comes in the book. :twisted:

I will say that there is no internal editing, however.

Paulette Kilgore should have been grounded by Flight Control. For that matter, she should damned well have grounded herself, and she knew it. Tired pilots made mistakes; exhausted pilots made catastrophic ones.

Screw it, she thought drunkenly. There’s nobody aboard but me and John, and he’d be even more pissed off than me if somebody did try to yank us.

“Got something at zero-three-eight,” Sergeant Debnam said, as if her thought had summoned the announcement.

“Like what?” Kilgore asked, automatically swinging the nose to the indicated bearing. The question came out slurred by fatigue, she realized, but Debnam appeared not to notice.

“Dunno,” he said. “Could just be another chunk of debris — God knows there’s enough of that,” he added bitterly.

Got that right, John, she thought with equal bitterness. Four of the last five radar targets they’d intercepted had been just that: debris. The fifth had been a life pod, its transponder as dead as the young woman aboard it. Kilgore didn’t like to think about how that young woman had died, alone in a dead pod, slowly bleeding to death from her internal injuries. But Debnam had gone EVA to bring her aboard and Kilgore had left her flight couch to help him stow her, gently and reverently, in the passenger compartment beside the two skinsuited corpses they’d already recovered.

“Got no transponder, but it’s about the right size,” Debnam continued. “Range . . . forty-three-point-six thousand klicks. We’ve got an opening velocity of about two hundred KPS.”

“What’s that make our intercept time?”

The question was a dead giveaway of her exhaustion. That was the kind of solution she did in her head every day.

“’Bout . . . fifty seconds to match velocity at four hundred gravs, then three-point-eight minutes to actually catch it,” Debnam replied.

“Well, let’s go find out if somebody got a little luckier this time around,” Kilgore said, and goosed the impellers.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:44 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

clancy688 wrote:I'm wondering if the pilot is related to the Marine LT ("Liam Kilgore") in OBS...? If she's a Manticoran. :D

Insufficient info in this snippet. However based on the previous snippets, + the seeming lack maintenance of sefety pods, I would infer that it is not in the Manticoral system. Quite probably Cachalot since that is the only planet being mentioned yet in the snippets as at the verge of an Operation Buccaneer attack. Yet there is mntion of others, so, may not be Cachalot. But probably not anywhere in SEM space.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by phillies   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm

phillies
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
clancy688 wrote:I'm wondering if the pilot is related to the Marine LT ("Liam Kilgore") in OBS...? If she's a Manticoran. :D

Insufficient info in this snippet. However based on the previous snippets, + the seeming lack maintenance of sefety pods, I would infer that it is not in the Manticoral system. Quite probably Cachalot since that is the only planet being mentioned yet in the snippets as at the verge of an Operation Buccaneer attack. Yet there is mntion of others, so, may not be Cachalot. But probably not anywhere in SEM space.

Alternatively, in SEM space, and the perfectly maintained pods of the Invincible Solarian League Navy.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lunan wrote:Eridani violations and more Eridani violations. What happens when the star nation that issued the edict is the one violating it

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9436
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Flight Control? That's not the same as Astro Control in the Manticoran system? What ships would it be, doing 400Gs and intercepting debris and dead pods?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse