Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bellerophon and 62 guests

And another out of order snippet while I'm thinking about it

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: And another out of order snippet while I'm thinking abou
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

filbert wrote:Adding 2 plus 2 and coming up with 42 . . .

What if Honor was late to that goodbye State dinner for Benjamin in the other snippet today, and the Sollies (or the Detweilers?) KEW'ed or otherwise took out Mount Royal Palace?

That would punch Honor in the gut (again) and piss her off (again) in equal measure, wouldn't it?

Now there's a thought.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Kensai   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Kensai
Ensign

I strongly suspect.....

IT will be focused fire on specific targets. Targets that cannot adequately defend themselves.

They will be LEGIT military targets too.... then they will get within reach of whatever planet they heading for and it will likely be broadcast to the entire system (we already know SL encryption is for shit...) what happened to bring The Salamander to where they were - likely Sol, I'm thinking....

And the case AGAINST the Governing Body of the Solarian League will be laid out in Lavender.

And I also think an important request may get made...

"Give me Every Single Mandarin or I burn this place to the ground for the Lives of those killed at their order...."

Or something like that. I do not see her murdering innocents.... but I do see her destroying ANYTHING that would be of value in a system to make her point.

This is War.

And one must remember, to quote another book, War is fought by Human Beings.

Emotion can cloud things.... even with Honor.
John T.

aka The Philosophical Kensai

"Master your craft lest it master you."
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Kensai wrote:I strongly suspect.....

IT will be focused fire on specific targets. Targets that cannot adequately defend themselves.

They will be LEGIT military targets too.... then they will get within reach of whatever planet they heading for and it will likely be broadcast to the entire system (we already know SL encryption is for shit...) what happened to bring The Salamander to where they were - likely Sol, I'm thinking....

And the case AGAINST the Governing Body of the Solarian League will be laid out in Lavender.

And I also think an important request may get made...

"Give me Every Single Mandarin or I burn this place to the ground for the Lives of those killed at their order...."

Or something like that. I do not see her murdering innocents.... but I do see her destroying ANYTHING that would be of value in a system to make her point.

This is War.

Emotion can cloud things.... even with Honor.
Pardon my bold.

Not anymore. The Malign, as an unholy creation, has forever changed that precept.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Torlek   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Torlek
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

NervousEnergy wrote:Yeah, there's something missing here. Something bad. Honor's reaction seems far more extreme than her reaction after Yawata. I don't see how the loss of a distant uncle, no matter how close (especially to her mother) could produce that reaction. Even is said Uncle died along with millions of others it likely wouldn't have caused that degree of personal response.

The casualty list has got to be more extensive. And personal.

I don't think, a sane navy would use immediately use an Admiral, which is that emotionally compromised.

What if Honor was late to that goodbye State dinner for Benjamin in the other snippet today, and the Sollies (or the Detweilers?) KEW'ed or otherwise took out Mount Royal Palace?

That would punch Honor in the gut (again) and piss her off (again) in equal measure, wouldn't it?

That would require the SLN to sneak or smash through the Manticorian Defenses. There is no indication, that forces that could attempt to do that are even in place, which means they would have to have gotten past the wormhole defenses before that. Highly unlikely.
Post by filbert   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:13 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:

Now there's a thought.

New! Improved! Now with Snippet Textev!
Post by n7axw   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

NervousEnergy wrote:Yeah, there's something missing here. Something bad. Honor's reaction seems far more extreme than her reaction after Yawata. I don't see how the loss of a distant uncle, no matter how close (especially to her mother) could produce that reaction. Even is said Uncle died along with millions of others it likely wouldn't have caused that degree of personal response.

The answer is that there is nothing distant about the uncle. Honor and Jacques were very close. Add into that the fact that Allison and Jacques were twins who adored each other and I'm sure that Allison is torn up over it. Now consider that Honor as an empath is not only dealing with her own grief, but what is going on with her mother as well.

More than enough to account for the way that Honor is reacting.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:

The answer is that there is nothing distant about the uncle. Honor and Jacques were very close. Add into that the fact that Allison and Jacques were twins who adored each other and I'm sure that Allison is torn up over it. Now consider that Honor as an empath is not only dealing with her own grief, but what is going on with her mother as well.

Don

-

Piled onto the already heavy burden of lost relatives.

Post by feyhunde   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:11 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:
Kensai wrote:
Pardon my bold.

Not anymore. The Malign, as an unholy creation, has forever changed that precept.

I think something to remember is people are people. Even genetic supermen are still ultimately men. They might have fancy changes to make them 'smarter' but they are still mere mortals.

Hubris will always bring Nemesis.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

If Honor's uncle Jacques is dead then there are two broad possiblities based on the earlier snippet. One is he was killed in whatever finally happend that cause the 10million casualutes at Beowulf and Two that he was at one of the planets mentioned in the prior snippet where SL was going to make a demonstration/teach a lesson.

The Alignment doens't really care as long as the League is shattered and more of the people who will impede the Alignment are killed.

Some how I can see Honor channeling Ivanava. The Salamander is back in the mode of Death riding your party and it's not names she will be taking. Primal deamon with a razor sharp tactical mind and a bill that WILL BE PAID.
Cold, Honor COLD is very bad news.

At this point not quite Ivanva commanding a Vorlon fleet but could be close.

Will be interesting to watch.
Post by Rincewind   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

n7axw wrote:

Don

-

It's not just Allison's grief. As related in Beauty and the Beast Alfred Harrington was very close to Jacques as well and, on top of his grief for the losses he suffered from the Yawata Strike, this could have come close to tipping him over the edge. Remember, Honor inherited that deep down darkness from her father; (his treecat name is Deep Roots) and if she has sensed her father's grief it could have pushed her over the edge too.

Return to Honorverse