Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

New Uncompromising snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: New Uncompromising snippet #1
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
cthia wrote:At the risk of sounding too demanding, runsforcelery, can you tell us the length of UH? How many words/chapters?

If it's classified, bear in mind I am a Fleet Admiral. :roll: :D :mrgreen:

It's not classified. In fact, if memory serves, RFC himself said during his 1st snippeting period of UH that the book is around 300.000 words long. Amazon equals that to 768 pages ... so, I think it's safe to assume that the book has around 70 to 80 chapters (if he follows the example he had set in Shadow of Victory).

Thanks Eagleeye. I missed this post. I do seem to recall RFC giving us, what I remember to be, a tentative account, before editing. I thought. Anyways, thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Annachie wrote:It really is very simple.

The MAlign want the SL to break up. Well shatter.

Beowolf suceedes, the SLN send a hammer. (That presumably gets smashed but not before bombing the planet somehow.

Maya suceeds (before they are ready?) SLN sends a hammer which gets smashed. (The MAlign want Maya to go it alone, but not be too strong)

Next one of the MAlign systems goes. Smashes the SLN response.

By that time all hell is breaking loose.

Only real change is that now instead of Manticore and Haven being wrecked, they are political entities that the MAlign want to execute the PLAN before Manticore/Haven become political giants.

Yes, you are correct in your analysis of the MAlign design for the universe.. I think, its a bit late for Maya to go it alone. They are already allied with Torch, they already have contacts and commercial commitments with Erewhon. The MAlign may not know about the secret pact with Haven, thus, by extension, with Manticore.

May also be too late for the GA to become a political giant. They have control of most of the WHJs that they can grab and hold, There is no reason for the planets on either side of the junctions to be hostile to the GA. especially with a mutually agreeable split in Junction revenues. Which revenues Manticore does not need more than minimal to support the security and operation of the junctions. Which is probably also somewhat negotiable.

There is the not-alliance with the Andermani, and Meyers, etc. The GA is bigger than the RF at this point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CID is the last place anyone would expect to find a counterintelligence op. That’s Noritoshi Väinöla’s bailiwick . . . and exactly the reason neither Lupe Blanton nor I went anywhere near him with this. And it’s a pain in the arse, too, because I’m pretty damn sure Väinöla’s as straight as they come in the Gendarmerie.” She grimaced in obvious frustration. “The problem is —”

“That if he is straight, and if this is the kind of operation he’d normally be in charge of, then he’s the one our bad guys are going to keep the closest eye on,” al-Fanudahi finished for her, and she nodded.

Sometimes I think people doublethink themselves right out of a solution. If he is clean, then surely he can handle an investigation covertly. At any rate, I'm not so sure I would put stock in the fact that CID wouldn't be a target of infiltration. I'm having opposite feelings.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:46 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
CID is the last place anyone would expect to find a counterintelligence op. That’s Noritoshi Väinöla’s bailiwick . . . and exactly the reason neither Lupe Blanton nor I went anywhere near him with this. And it’s a pain in the arse, too, because I’m pretty damn sure Väinöla’s as straight as they come in the Gendarmerie.” She grimaced in obvious frustration. “The problem is —”

“That if he is straight, and if this is the kind of operation he’d normally be in charge of, then he’s the one our bad guys are going to keep the closest eye on,” al-Fanudahi finished for her, and she nodded.

Sometimes I think people doublethink themselves right out of a solution. If he is clean, then surely he can handle an investigation covertly. At any rate, I'm not so sure I would put stock in the fact that CID wouldn't be a target of infiltration. I'm having opposite feelings.

Italics MINE

Which is pretty much what Daoud is tactfully saying here in the italics. Of course if he is clean he will probably assume everyone in his department is also clean. At any rate just because you think people will try to kill you if they find out what you're doing, doesn't mean you're paranoid.

I thnk it was mentioned in ART that Daoud is pretty sure CI has been infiltrated because the best place to put spies is in the shop looking for spies. Some MI-5 double agent that helped set up the CIA comes readily to mind.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse