Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tlb and 63 guests

Nuncio's Windfall.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Nuncio's Windfall.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Indeed so. But what would draw people there? The entire Quadrant is ripe with opportunity and all those planets have enough locally to keep the most driven of their members at home.
Only those with either a need for Basillica's climate or a deep love of it would relocate. The aged are one group. Since most illnesses are treatable, the aged or aging are likely the largest group that would find the climate worth relocating for.

n7axw wrote:With the proper terraforming and tech needed to deal with the issue that almost wiped out the original colonists, Basilica could become a full fledged thriving colony, not just a vacation spot.

Don

-

Cater to the uber-rich that can take more than the de rigeur 3 week vaykay. Or the Prep School scions of the same uber-rich doing a year before the rigors of university.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:59 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Indeed so. But what would draw people there? The entire Quadrant is ripe with opportunity and all those planets have enough locally to keep the most driven of their members at home.
Only those with either a need for Basillica's climate or a deep love of it would relocate. The aged are one group. Since most illnesses are treatable, the aged or aging are likely the largest group that would find the climate worth relocating for.
n7axw wrote:With the proper terraforming and tech needed to deal with the issue that almost wiped out the original colonists, Basilica could become a full fledged thriving colony, not just a vacation spot.

Don
-
pappilon wrote:Cater to the uber-rich that can take more than the de rigeur 3 week vaykay. Or the Prep School scions of the same uber-rich doing a year before the rigors of university.

Tourism alone won't be enough to lure sufficient number of immigrants in to the system. Sure targeting the uber-wealthy will attract investments to Bascillica. Likely enough to begin terraforming the planet. I can see the terraforming efforts as an added attraction to tourists.

We start with Duchess Harrington suggesting to the cartel developing her Gryphon holdings that Grayson Skydoms can build multi-use domes on Bascillica while the planet is being terra formed. Those domes will be placed in the most scenic areas and give tourists a chance to experience "hostile" environments while enjoying luxurious accommodations in perfect safety. Other domed farms can provide staple foods locally while the vacationer can experience exotic imported viands that is the class of the galaxy; Montana beef and prairie hens, seafood and mutton from I forget where, Quadrant seafood from Spindle as well as specialities from all over the Quadrant. Perhaps have multiple themed domes showcasing the planets and cultures of the Quadrant. The entire experience will provide absolute luxury and personalized service provided by actual human beings but still include and element of honest .......frontier and selective roughing it.

This tourist destination will draw the uber wealthy from Manticore and Beowulf. It will also as I posted earlier draw family run merchies, Quadrant government officials, foreign trad representatives and eventually the last of the aging non-prolong generations of the Quadrant. The last group will find the climate conducive to providing comfort in their twilight years. As this last group increases in age, medical and research institutions will flock in to study what may be the last non-prolong generations. That generation will provide a basis for therapies for when the first prolong generation reaches the age of diminishing health and vigor. I can see the Quadrant government investing in the infrastructure to support these geriatrics. Once they finally die off, the medical, teaching and research infrastructure will remain. At which time the first prolong generation approaches 200 years and will begin to show their age and require treatment and therapies gained from the decades long research. Oh, and that first prolong generation will begin to look for a nice warm climate to spend their retirement. A place with excellent medical facilities geared to serve aging bodies. The Harrington/Rameriez y Chou clan will be very well placed to lead in the development of each one of these phases.

The destination will draw more merchies deeper into their circuit in the Quadrant. Which will help Celebrandt, Pequod and several other Quadrant planets. Yeah, Nuncio will be very well off in time.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:23 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Tourism alone won't be enough to lure sufficient number of immigrants in to the system. Sure targeting the uber-wealthy will attract investments to Bascillica. Likely enough to begin terraforming the planet. I can see the terraforming efforts as an added attraction to tourists.

We start with Duchess Harrington suggesting to the cartel developing her Gryphon holdings that Grayson Skydoms can build multi-use domes on Bascillica while the planet is being terra formed. Those domes will be placed in the most scenic areas and give tourists a chance to experience "hostile" environments while enjoying luxurious accommodations in perfect safety. Other domed farms can provide staple foods locally while the vacationer can experience exotic imported viands that is the class of the galaxy; Montana beef and prairie hens, seafood and mutton from I forget where, Quadrant seafood from Spindle as well as specialities from all over the Quadrant. Perhaps have multiple themed domes showcasing the planets and cultures of the Quadrant. The entire experience will provide absolute luxury and personalized service provided by actual human beings but still include and element of honest .......frontier and selective roughing it.

This tourist destination will draw the uber wealthy from Manticore and Beowulf. It will also as I posted earlier draw family run merchies, Quadrant government officials, foreign trad representatives and eventually the last of the aging non-prolong generations of the Quadrant. The last group will find the climate conducive to providing comfort in their twilight years. As this last group increases in age, medical and research institutions will flock in to study what may be the last non-prolong generations. I can see the Quadrant government investing in the infrastructure to support these geriatrics. Once they finally die off, the medical, teaching and research infrastructure will remain. The Harrington/Rameriez y Chou clan will be very well placed to lead in the development of each one of these phases.

The destination will draw more merchies deeper into their circuit in the Quadrant. Which will help Celebrandt, Pequod and several other Quadrant planets. Yeah, Nuncio will be very well off in time.

I suppose the guided tours of the PRSSN Cruiser Anhur are off the table? It could be great fun for Jr, High field trips in the quadrant. I know, not much but we're talking jump starts.

Heck they could sell pieces of Solly SDs in the gift shop.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by PeterZ   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:35 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Tourism alone won't be enough to lure sufficient number of immigrants in to the system. Sure targeting the uber-wealthy will attract investments to Bascillica. Likely enough to begin terraforming the planet. I can see the terraforming efforts as an added attraction to tourists.

This tourist destination will draw the uber wealthy from Manticore and Beowulf. It will also as I posted earlier draw family run merchies, Quadrant government officials, foreign trad representatives and eventually the last of the aging non-prolong generations of the Quadrant. The last group will find the climate conducive to providing comfort in their twilight years. As this last group increases in age, medical and research institutions will flock in to study what may be the last non-prolong generations. I can see the Quadrant government investing in the infrastructure to support these geriatrics. Once they finally die off, the medical, teaching and research infrastructure will remain. The Harrington/Rameriez y Chou clan will be very well placed to lead in the development of each one of these phases.

I suppose the guided tours of the PRSSN Cruiser Anhur are off the table? It could be great fun for Jr, High field trips in the quadrant. I know, not much but we're talking jump starts.

Heck they could sell pieces of Solly SDs in the gift shop.

That'll add more of the frontier flavor to the experience. I would recommend bringing in the Joseph Buckley as a tourist attraction. The bad luck factor will make the tour a bit more special. Add the Anhur to the tour and the entire experience reeks of frontier danger.

Perhaps import decommissioned ships from all the Grand Alliance members. Keep them for nostalgia value. Maybe maintain a running theme of nostalgia on planet too. Become the memory of the first prolong generation.
Last edited by PeterZ on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:That'll add more of the frontier flavor to the experience. I would recommend bringing in the Joseph Buckley as a tourist attraction. The bad luck factor will make the tour a bit more special. Add the Anhur to the tour and the entire experience reeks of frontier danger.

Yeah but wouldn't towing it through N-space be kinda cost prohibitive? They could maybe actually fire up another surrendered SD and hyper it to Nuncio. cut Old Joe into paperweight sized chunks and sell them in the gift shop?
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by PeterZ   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:56 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
PeterZ wrote:That'll add more of the frontier flavor to the experience. I would recommend bringing in the Joseph Buckley as a tourist attraction. The bad luck factor will make the tour a bit more special. Add the Anhur to the tour and the entire experience reeks of frontier danger.

Yeah but wouldn't towing it through N-space be kinda cost prohibitive? They could maybe actually fire up another surrendered SD and hyper it to Nuncio. cut Old Joe into paperweight sized chunks and sell them in the gift shop?

No, nostalgia value makes it worthwhile. There are enough othe SDs to cut up.

What other items should they invest in to enhance the sense of nostalgia?
Post by saber964   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:55 pm

saber964
Admiral

Okay I asked a friend who is an attorney and he looked up some admiralty law for me. First Emerald Dawn is a recovered ship not a prize because it still had crew on board. The SKM/SEM can charge a reasonable fee for the recovery. The ship can be impounded temporarily as evidence/crime scene. The SKM/SEM/Nuncian governments can charge reasonable storage and upkeep fees.

The PNE Anhur is entirely different she is a captured prize of war and legally belongs to the crew of HMS Hexapuma. The CO can elect to turn over the ship to the Nuncians for going any prize money for the ship itself and only take the head money for the Anhur's crew. But that is only if the RMN buys it into service. Also with the thawing of relations between Manticore and Haven, the Haven government might elect to pay any reward money that may have been offered. Because I am sure at least some of the officers are on the shoot on sight list.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:19 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:No, nostalgia value makes it worthwhile. There are enough other SDs to cut up.

Maybe some old crates from Silesia? QE III could reward Kumhalo with a newer SD and retire his old flagship to the museum. As long as we're towing junk through N-space one of Byng's surviving ships could go too. Maybe the Golden Butterfly in honor of Rhagnild Paveltek?
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by PeterZ   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:31 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
PeterZ wrote:No, nostalgia value makes it worthwhile. There are enough other SDs to cut up.

Maybe some old crates from Silesia? QE III could reward Kumhalo with a newer SD and retire his old flagship to the museum. As long as we're towing junk through N-space one of Byng's surviving ships could go too. Maybe the Golden Butterfly in honor of Rhagnild Paveltek?

Toss in some of the GSN retired units too. Perhaps a collection commemorating QEIII's dad and the build up to the First Havenite War.

In each of the different domes representing the different Quadrant systems, have local nostalgia items for each represented world. As Quadrant citizens grow older, they have reminders of their memories to accompny them into their sunsets.
Post by n7axw   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:52 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Tourism probably will be a draw for Basilica, but I would visualize it becoming increasingly less important as raw resources are developed, land claimed by terraforming, industry developed. As attractive as the planet is, it shouldn't be surprising if it were to attract immigrants. I would imagine that how rapidly this happens would depend on the amount of money available to invest in such things as infrastructure.

Don

Aim the obsolete space junk at the nearest sun.

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse