Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mycall4me, tlb and 104 guests

Equations of motion for missiles under constant acceleration

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Equations of motion for missiles under constant accelera
Post by Hegemon   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 am

Hegemon
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Bill Woods wrote:
Hegemon wrote:Hello,

My search to previous posts on this topic have found nothing, so here it goes.

I knew that calculating the range and speed at the end of the run of impeller drive missiles using Newtonian Physics induces some errors compared to using Special Relativity. ...

[snip]
As you can see, the Newtonian equations break up completely on a four-stage missile like Mk-25, resulting in a speed at the end of run higher than the speed of light. The Hyperbolic motion equations do not have this problem.

[snip]
As you can see, the Hyperbolic motion equations always give lower values for velocity at the end of the run but higher range under power and time under power than the Newtonian equations.

I hope you found this interesting. Please tell me what you think.
A while back, I posted this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7150&hilit=cheatsheet&start=32

[Edit] See also Jonathan's and my posts in
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8922

Sorry, I did not find your posts. I searched specifically for hyperbolic motion. You indeed used the hyperbolic motion equations and your results are identical to mine, but did not explicitly mentioned it.

Anyway, I can say I added the correction needed to account for the initial velocity (a ship moving towards or away from the missile at launch).
Post by Louis R   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

I think that if you could actually test your results you'd find serious errors remain.

Special Relativity deals with _uniform_ motion. Including acceleration moves you into General Relativity - and even ships routinely use accels found in nature only in the immediate vicinity of black holes. With all that that implies for mass, energy and time.

Hegemon wrote:
Sorry, I did not find your posts. I searched specifically for hyperbolic motion. You indeed used the hyperbolic motion equations and your results are identical to mine, but did not explicitly mentioned it.

Anyway, I can say I added the correction needed to account for the initial velocity (a ship moving towards or away from the missile at launch).
Post by Daryl   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:48 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

An interesting topic, and one I have touched upon myself, although I'm too lazy to relearn the maths.
Just to go a step further, in the more extreme examples what would the final mass of the missile be? Plus would that make the kinetic energy ridiculously high? I'm thinking about the free energy supplied by Honorverse physics converted to additional mass at near C velocity, then expended in a collision with a planet for example.
Post by Bill Woods   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:An interesting topic, and one I have touched upon myself, although I'm too lazy to relearn the maths.
Just to go a step further, in the more extreme examples what would the final mass of the missile be? Plus would that make the kinetic energy ridiculously high? I'm thinking about the free energy supplied by Honorverse physics converted to additional mass at near C velocity, then expended in a collision with a planet for example.
KE = (gamma-1) m c^2

After a full burn, a (relativistic) Mk-23 is going 0.67c, which gives it 7.5 megatons per kilogram of kinetic energy. (Put another way, any speck of dust in the missile's way will also pack a punch.)
Last edited by Bill Woods on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Bill Woods   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Louis R wrote:I think that if you could actually test your results you'd find serious errors remain.

Special Relativity deals with _uniform_ motion. Including acceleration moves you into General Relativity - and even ships routinely use accels found in nature only in the immediate vicinity of black holes. With all that that implies for mass, energy and time.
No, SR can handle accelerating objects just fine, though the math is more complicated, requiring calculus rather than just algebra.
The distinction is that SR deals with high-speed objects in flat spacetime, while GR is needed when spacetime is curved by high-mass objects.

See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/R ... ation.html
----
Imagined conversation:
Post by Daryl   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:50 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

What I was looking for was the over 0.9C scenaro where the mass of the missile has increased, due to relativistic effects. So you have the double whammy of enormous kinetic energy just from going so fast, added to by the actual mass increasing in a MC2=E situation.

Bill Woods wrote:
Daryl wrote:An interesting topic, and one I have touched upon myself, although I'm too lazy to relearn the maths.
KE = (gamma-1) m c^2

After a full burn, a (relativistic) Mk-23 is going 0.67c, which gives it 7.5 megatons per kilogram of kinetic energy. (Put another way, any speck of dust in the missile's way will also pack a punch.)
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:08 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Bill Woods wrote:
KE = (gamma-1) m c^2

Daryl wrote:What I was looking for was the over 0.9C scenaro where the mass of the missile has increased, due to relativistic effects. So you have the double whammy of enormous kinetic energy just from going so fast, added to by the actual mass increasing in a MC2=E situation.
You're double counting.
'gamma m' is the "relativistic mass", which you can break down into 'm + (gamma-1)m'.
'(gamma - 1) m' is the extra you get on top of the rest mass 'm' for going fast.
'(gamma-1) m c^2' is the energy equivalent.
At 0.67c, gamma = 1.35; at 0.9c, gamma = 2.29.
----
Imagined conversation:

Return to Honorverse