Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Cover Depictions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Cover Depictions
Post by CASCADE   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:16 pm

CASCADE
Midshipman

My impression, from the few mentions in the various books, is that the Wintons are rather dark-skinned. Why does all of the book cover art depict Honor & Michelle as light-skinned?

Thanks,
Cascade
Re: Cover Depictions
Post by Potato   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Potato
Captain of the List

When has Mike Henke been depicted on the cover? I do not remember her being on any of the Shadow books.

And why would Honor be dark skinned? Her mother is primarily Asian, and if I recall correctly, her father is primarily Caucasian or mixed European.
Post by robert132   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:03 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Potato wrote:When has Mike Henke been depicted on the cover? I do not remember her being on any of the Shadow books.

And why would Honor be dark skinned? Her mother is primarily Asian, and if I recall correctly, her father is primarily Caucasian or mixed European.

I don't recall seeing Michelle Henke depicted on any of the book covers as light skinned. Of course I could be wrong, I have been before.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

robert132 wrote:I don't recall seeing Michelle Henke depicted on any of the book covers as light skinned. Of course I could be wrong, I have been before.

A google search for "honorverse cover art" doesn't turn up a single picture of Michelle Henke (or QEIII) that isn't ethnically accurate and NONE of the pictures turned up for those two ladies is a book cover.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:13 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Potato wrote:When has Mike Henke been depicted on the cover? I do not remember her being on any of the Shadow books.

I am fairly certain that Michelle is on the cover of _Storm from the Shadows_ (don't have a very good view of her since the viewpoint is at her 7:00). Michelle is also on the cover of the reprint of _The Short Victorious War_. I don't think she is represented quite as dark as the text implies.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Louis R   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

given that there is textev that she's not nearly as dark as her cousin, it's probably within parameters. don't have a hires copy, though, so 'probably' is as far as i can go.

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

I am fairly certain that Michelle is on the cover of _Storm from the Shadows_ (don't have a very good view of her since the viewpoint is at her 7:00). Michelle is also on the cover of the reprint of _The Short Victorious War_. I don't think she is represented quite as dark as the text implies.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I always thought Michelle was on the cover of Shadow of Freedom.

~ Three-o-clock.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:I always thought Michelle was on the cover of Shadow of Freedom.

~ Three-o-clock.

The person at three-o-clock who looks like Uhura from ST could be Michelle, but I don't recall any battles where both she and Honor had 'cats at the same time, and who would be the man with a 'cat, who looks as though he is not wearing a uniform? I reckon it is all a bit of artistic licence with a mashup of different stories.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by CanoeSage   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:20 pm

CanoeSage
Ensign

~ Three-o-clock.

Left to right, I would identify the main characters in that cover as:
White Haven (male, older, civilian jacket, tan treecat)
Honor (Manticoran uniform with white beret + admiral's stars, Star of Grayson medal, grey treecat)
Elizabeth(civilian dress at least as far as I can see, darker skin with more African facial features, dark grey treecat).
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CanoeSage wrote:

~ Three-o-clock.

Left to right, I would identify the main characters in that cover as:
White Haven (male, older, civilian jacket, tan treecat)
Honor (Manticoran uniform with white beret + admiral's stars, Star of Grayson medal, grey treecat)
Elizabeth(civilian dress at least as far as I can see, darker skin with more African facial features, dark grey treecat).

Could be Beth I suppose. The reason I imagine it to be Michelle and never gave it a second thought is because of the inside blurb, taking it in context...

INVITATION TO A PARTY
(BRING YOUR OWN WARSHIPS)

Wrong number? There are two sides to every quarrel...unless there are more.

Admiral Michelle Henke, Queen Elizabeth of Manticore's first cousin and Honor Harrington's best fried, has just handed the "invincible" Solarian League Navy the most humiliating, one sided defeat in its almost thousand-year history in defense of the people of the Star Empire's Talbott Quadrant.

snip

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse