Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 58 guests

E-Arc vs normal print of Shadow of Victory

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
E-Arc vs normal print of Shadow of Victory
Post by ti3x   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 am

ti3x
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So a quick question for those who might know:

Is it worth getting the SoV normal book if I have the e-arc? I've just about finished re-reading it and keep on seeing all the errors in that version, like in the end.

SPOILER - HIGHLIGHT TO SHOW
“Tracking’s losing some in the clutter, Mister Chief Executive. That sort of thing happens when a half-million tons of capital ships start churning up the EM spectrum.”
/SPOILER

...when a single cruiser masses that much. Just curious if there are enough things cleaned up in the final version to make it worth the cost.
Re: E-Arc vs normal print of Shadow of Victory
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:41 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

ti3x wrote:So a quick question for those who might know:

Is it worth getting the SoV normal book if I have the e-arc? I've just about finished re-reading it and keep on seeing all the errors in that version, like in the end.

“Tracking’s losing some in the clutter, Mister Chief Executive. That sort of thing happens when a half-million tons of capital ships start churning up the EM spectrum.”
/SPOILER

...when a single cruiser masses that much. Just curious if there are enough things cleaned up in the final version to make it worth the cost.

That particular error is present in the final book (both hardcover and e-book).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:25 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

/SPOILER

ARCs, and that includes eARCs, are traditionally not as well copy-edited as the final version. Shadow of Victory, unfortunately, was turned in too late in the process to get as thorough a copy-edit as Baen normally gives a book. I personally haven't noticed a huge number of errors in the hardcover, but I don't have the eARC to compare it to.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

/SPOILER

That particular error is present in the final book (both hardcover and e-book).

That may not be an error. It may be what the person speaking actually said: not everyone is going to bother being exactly technically accurate when they're talking to a politician who they are sure has chowder for brains - and that it's well past the sell-by date.
Post by munroburton   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 am

munroburton
Admiral

It's a very small slip - million instead of billion.

The Mister Chief Executive had already been whacked with a more significant statement - "at least sixty-four superdreadnought sized signatures".
Post by Theemile   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:It's a very small slip - million instead of billion.

The Mister Chief Executive had already been whacked with a more significant statement - "at least sixty-four superdreadnought sized signatures".

Let's not forget that many of the recent books have been rushed and have not gone through the layers of error checking that previous books have gone through. David's health issues (and family health issues) combined with Eric Flint's schedule, an overzealous printing schedule for MULTIPLE publishing houses, have caused cascading issues until David's Doctor threw up a stop light and forced David to take a Break in late 2016.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by n7axw   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
munroburton wrote:It's a very small slip - million instead of billion.

Let's not forget that many of the recent books have been rushed and have not gone through the layers of error checking that previous books have gone through. David's health issues (and family health issues) combined with Eric Flint's schedule, an overzealous printing schedule for MULTIPLE publishing houses, have caused cascading issues until David's Doctor threw up a stop light and forced David to take a Break in late 2016.

Frankly, due to health issues mentioned above, there really haven't been many recent books. I know he wants to keep writing, but I find myself wondering just how far he is going to be able to come back. He is 65 and it could be that we are looking at a permanently reduced pace for David. I know I don't want him endangering his health just because I can read faster than he can write.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:I know I don't want him endangering his health just because I can read faster than he can write.

Everyone but John Ringo in his manic phase can't even come close to keeping up with what their fans, including me, want. But we will see.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
Theemile wrote:

Frankly, due to health issues mentioned above, there really haven't been many recent books. I know he wants to keep writing, but I find myself wondering just how far he is going to be able to come back. He is 65 and it could be that we are looking at a permanently reduced pace for David. I know I don't want him endangering his health just because I can read faster than he can write.

Don

-

We definitely saw issues with Cauldron of Ghosts, it was released in March 2014, and if I remember the timeline correcty, it was turned in to the publisher at the last minute (read late) in fall of 2013. Was that the start of the issues or was there issues before that?
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse