Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests

If Sag-C = Baltimore, WWII cruisers as HH analog discussion.

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: If Sag-C = Baltimore, WWII cruisers as HH analog discuss
Post by robert132   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Henry Brown wrote:
robert132 wrote:
I don't know if you've made it up this way to Norfolk, but we have the Wisconsin downtown if you'd care to visit. Her internal tour isn't as extensive as North Carolina's but the museum is still working on that and they hope to have most of the ship open for tours before too much longer.

Funny you should mention that. I was up that way 2 weeks ago. It was a combination trip of catching up with an old friend from high school/college and of seeing the band Nightwish at the Norva in Norfolk. But I also managed to find time to tour the Wisconsin. And went over to the Mariner's Museum and saw the parts of the Monitor that have been salvaged.

I haven't taken any of the Wisconsin internal tours as yet, haven't had time frankly. The work Mariner's Museum is doing on the Monitor relics is fascinating, the wife and I squeezed in a quick stop during a business trip to Richmond a few months ago and whenever we can.

When I was stationed aboard USS Nassau (LHA 4) during Desert Storm we got to watch Whiskey and Missouri beat up on Iraqi positions ashore with 1 and 2 gun salvos, no broadsides. After she decommissioned I had a young man come to work for me who had served in one of the 16" turrets.

Odd how that worked out, 2 battleships in the Atlantic and I had a youngster from each come to work for me afterward aboard other ships.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by robert132   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:57 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:I’m not actually sure if any of those torpedoes have an anti-surface ship mode. They’re all, AFAIK, designed for sub hunting and their probably programmed to avoid engaging surface ships so you can safely drop them on subs near your convey, battle group, etc. given that they’d be fairly ineffective at sinking ships (small warheads optimized to poke holes in subs) the designers may have hardwired the surface target lockout so operator error can’t lead to accidentally damaging a friendly ship.

Tom Clancy played around with that idea in his "Debt of Honor" (IIRC) where the USN got into a shooting war with the Japanese in the late 1980s/1990s. In it the Japanese get in the first punch using MK-26 ASW fish to cripple Enterprise and John C Stennis by wrecking steering gear and propellers.

After reading the book I asked a Torpedoman I knew if the MK-46 could be used against surface ships. He said he thought they could, he was a MK-46 tech.

Clancy was notorious in Navy circles for the accuracy of the information in a lot of his books, so accurate that after "Red Storm Rising" came out the NIS paid him a visit to determine where he got his information.

It was ALL open source, easily available (at the time) in the public libraries and today the internet.

What good is an ASW torp that can't go after a shallow running target (less than periscope depth?) All the sub has to do is run shallow to prevent your most effective weapon from engaging.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:
robert132 wrote:Fast note, neither the North Carolina class nor the South Dakota class can be considered "treaty" battleships. Both classes were put into service with 16" rifles as main armament, the treaty limit was 14". The NC originally was designed with 12 - 14" but the design was modified during construction to 9 - 16"/45 cal weapons. The SD class was designed from the start with 16"/45 cal main armament.

I am aware of the gun size and the design process of the North Carolina. In fact I live about 3 hours from Wilmington NC and have been lucky enough to tour the North Carolina multiple times over the years. :)

But if I remember correctly there was an "escalator clause" in those naval treaties which allowed guns larger than 14 inches to be put on ships if it was found that other nations were not following it. Since Japan was already breaking the treaty, the NC and South Dakota classes were technically in compliance. And issues of gun size aside, both the NC and SD classes were designed to comply with the 35,000 ton treaty limit.

The Iowas were 45,000 ton ships. But much of the extra 10,000 tons were devoted to speed. Other than the fact that the main gun barrels are slightly longer (16"/50), they don't carry any extra firepower. And I don't think the Iowas had much thicker armor than the South Dakotas (though it was thicker than the NC class).

But of course, so's we don't lead anyone astray, the USS North Carolina is actually located in Leland, across the Cape Fear river from Wilmington. Albeit, a nice view of it is offered from the riverfront in downtown Wilmington.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse