Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

Series: Crown of Slaves and Wages of Sin

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Series: Crown of Slaves and Wages of Sin
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Right or wrong, It's called Wages of Sin series on Amazon

No it's not. Amazon groups them as "Crown of Slaves series" The only Amazon reference to "Wages Of Sin" is the vampire/werwolf mashup I referenced earlier.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Theemile wrote:Right or wrong, It's called Wages of Sin series on Amazon

No it's not. Amazon groups them as "Crown of Slaves series" The only Amazon reference to "Wages Of Sin" is the vampire/werwolf mashup I referenced earlier.

At the Amazon prompt, type in "eric flint wages of sin" and see what happens.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Bluesqueak   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Theemile wrote:

At the Amazon prompt, type in "eric flint wages of sin" and see what happens.

Before we get into fistfights over this, Word of Author is:

I've always thought of the Anton/Victor novels as the Torch Series, myself. Never really thought about the fact that they didn't have an "official" series label.

So there it is: Amazon brings them up under both titles because there is no official series title. The author forgot to give them one. :lol:

(This very topic was discussed back in 2014 in http://davidweber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5869)
Post by Down Under   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Down Under
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

nhmar wrote:
I'm confused and even a bit angry. Why must you make this so complicated?

I did a Bing search for Crown of Slaves and was told there are 3 books in the series, in order: Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom & Cauldron of Ghosts.

I did an Amazon search for Wages of Sin and was told by Goodreads those 3 books are part of this series.

Wikipedia states they are the part of Wages of Sin.

Finally, Amazon says there are 3 books in the Wages of Sin Series, in order: Bad Blood, Flesh and Blood & Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Help!!!

Theemile wrote

The Torch series is called the Crown of Slaves series in the Honorverse Wikipedia entry. It has never been called "Wages of Sin." Whoever gave you the notion that there is an Honorverse series called "Wages of Sin" is simply wrong.

Most fans consider the mainline series, the misnamed Saganami Island sub-series (It should be the Talbott sub-series), the Torch series and the anthologies to be one series, and recommend a first-time read in publication order. A lot of fans prefer reading in timeline order when they're re-reading the series.

JohnRoth wrote:

Right or wrong, It's called Wages of Sin series on Amazon

This is why many academic institutions do NOT accept Wikapedia as a reliable reference source. Because information recorded there in not always reliable and can be too easily changed.
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Down Under wrote:

nhmar wrote:
I'm confused and even a bit angry. Why must you make this so complicated?

I did a Bing search for Crown of Slaves and was told there are 3 books in the series, in order: Crown of Slaves, Torch of Freedom & Cauldron of Ghosts.

I did an Amazon search for Wages of Sin and was told by Goodreads those 3 books are part of this series.

Wikipedia states they are the part of Wages of Sin.

Finally, Amazon says there are 3 books in the Wages of Sin Series, in order: Bad Blood, Flesh and Blood & Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Help!!!

Theemile wrote

The Torch series is called the Crown of Slaves series in the Honorverse Wikipedia entry. It has never been called "Wages of Sin." Whoever gave you the notion that there is an Honorverse series called "Wages of Sin" is simply wrong.

Most fans consider the mainline series, the misnamed Saganami Island sub-series (It should be the Talbott sub-series), the Torch series and the anthologies to be one series, and recommend a first-time read in publication order. A lot of fans prefer reading in timeline order when they're re-reading the series.

JohnRoth wrote:

Right or wrong, It's called Wages of Sin series on Amazon

This is why many academic institutions do NOT accept Wikapedia as a reliable reference source. Because information recorded there in not always reliable and can be too easily changed.

#1. Would you get your attributions correct? I did not write what you've attributed to me, and what I did write you've got attributed to someone else

#2. The series title at Baen is "Crown of Slaves." That's about as official as you can possibly get.

Return to Honorverse