Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

A Call to Insurrection Speculations

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
A Call to Insurrection Speculations
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:33 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Any takers on which insurrection?

Could it be the Gryphon up-rising? (I don't know when that took place)
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Re: A Call to Insurrection Speculations
Post by Lunan   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 am

Lunan
Captain of the List

Andermani covert contact. After all Travis has to end up with that hatch (The Kieser’s Gift) somehow.

George J. Smith wrote:Any takers on which insurrection?

Post by Hornblower   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:59 am

Hornblower
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The Gryphon uprising was 1721 (a century and a half later)
Post by n7axw   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Nope. We are at roughly 1545 in the story line. The Gryphon uprising is 1721.

So we have to be looking for something else. I don't see anyting else in the 16th cenury pd that would qualify. So perhaps our noble authors are using that word insurrection as a diversion. They are not above that, you know! :twisted:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by jchilds   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:28 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

To be followed by Book 5 : A Call to Crusade?
Post by HungryKing   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:00 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

From the hints as to where Winterfell is potentially going the Axelrod operative decides that rather than conquest, he will try to co-opt the star kingdom, likely through Breakwater. The insurrection may be a phantom, groups within the star kingdom realize that the Axelrod operatives are the paymasters, maybe even through Andermandi information, and prepare to launch a coup against the lords in order to stop the co-option.
It could also be that the insurrection is Winterfell overthrowing Breakwater. Thus far all he has done is sabotage Breakwater by providing information to the queen which would force him to retreat, something he did only because he felt manipulating the queen, and needlessly provoking a constitutional crisis, in that manner was something that should not be done. So this could be Winterfell's moment to become cease being the apprentice and become the master.
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

I have a hunch there's gonna be an insurrection of some kind. Call me crazy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by boballab   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:41 am

boballab
Captain of the List

There is another possibility that is being overlooked if you look at the timeline of years and events.

1. Stephanie Harrington was born in the year 1505 PD.

2. At the start of "Treecat Wars" Stephanie is 16 years old which places the year the events of the book takes place at 1521/1522 time frame.

3. In Treecat Wars it is stated that one of the richest Lords on Manticore will lose a lot of their fortune if they lose their land options on Sphinx and they expect that the worth of them will triple in the next 30 to 40 years:
Over the course of the next thirty to forty T-years, that value would at least triple, and the bankable value they already represented had been used as security for loans totaling just over a billion dollars. Those loans were critical to the Earldom of Frampton’s solvency, and their terms required full payment or refinancing within the next ten T-years. Repayment would be difficult or even impossible; refinancing would be a routine transaction . . . as long as the options’ value was maintained.

Treecat Wars Chapter 13

4. 30 years after Treecat Wars is the year 1551/2 and Stephanie will be 46 and would be heavily involved in the politics surrounding the Treecats. However that in an of itself would not get her a title and awarded the Order of Merit IMHO (which we know she had from "What Price Dreams") but there is this line from the story to think on:
Despite the SFS's best efforts, people are already beginning to forget what a monumental role she played in Sphinx's history—or that of the entire Star Kingdom, for that matter. Unfortunately, that was apparently the way she wanted it, and the Harrington family has steadfastly refused to release her private papers. Until they do, it's unlikely anyone will be able to do a job much better than Simmons'. Which is a pity."

Ponder on just what the Chief Ranger meant by the the highlighted part and just why the Harrington's never released her private papers even through Honor's day in 1921 PD.

5. I haven't found an exact date for when the 9th Amendment to the Manticore Constitution was passed but keep this in mind from "What Price Dreams" dealing with when the debate on the 9th started.
The fact that the Star Kingdom had been in existence for barely a hundred and thirty T-years when the debate began hadn't helped. The original Constitution had already been extensively modified and reinterpreted (very creatively indeed, in some cases) as the Crown, the Lords, and the Commons worked out the real balance of power. Indeed, one reason the Ninth Amendment had taken so long to ratify in the first place had been that the document it was intended to modify had been in such a state of flux.

130 T-years after first landing is the year 1546 PD 2 years after the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II and part of the flux in that statement would be her push for the changes at the end of "Call to Vengeance"

Would it be out of the realm of possibility that Axelrod gets wind of Framptons(and Gwen Adair sister to the Earl of Adair Hollow)financial problems and strikes a deal with them to help one another. Over throw the throne and your Treecat problems go away and Axelrod gets what they want. It is just a slight change in plans, instead of having an outside force over throwing the government to be Axelrod puppets you just support a coup, this is something we have seen time and again in the Shadow books on how Transtellars took over Verge planets.

Of course it could all be coincidence and the two most major and far lasting events in the Kingdoms history do not even touch one another.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:I have a hunch there's gonna be an insurrection of some kind. Call me crazy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What if they called for an insurrection and nobody came?
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:52 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

HungryKing wrote:From the hints as to where Winterfell is potentially going the Axelrod operative decides that rather than conquest, he will try to co-opt the star kingdom, likely through Breakwater. The insurrection may be a phantom, groups within the star kingdom realize that the Axelrod operatives are the paymasters, maybe even through Andermandi information, and prepare to launch a coup against the lords in order to stop the co-option.
It could also be that the insurrection is Winterfell overthrowing Breakwater. Thus far all he has done is sabotage Breakwater by providing information to the queen which would force him to retreat, something he did only because he felt manipulating the queen, and needlessly provoking a constitutional crisis, in that manner was something that should not be done. So this could be Winterfell's moment to become cease being the apprentice and become the master.

Have you read "A Call to Vengeance?" What happens to Breakwater is in there. For that matter, it is noted in the timeline on the Wiki.. Also, given what is said about Winterfell in the recent podcast, it really doesn't sound like it is in the direction you are proposing.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse