Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith, Google [Bot] and 34 guests

A Call to Vengeance SPOILER: Haven polity

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: A Call to Vengeance SPOILER: Haven polity
Post by filbert   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

Seems like another case of "can we haz Uncompromising Honor yet?"

One definition of "commonwealth" (from various sources I checked--and the original sense as far as I can tell) is basically another term for "republic."

There could be some there there but I personally wouldn't get too distracted by the existing Commonwealth of Nations, Commonwealth of Independent States, Commonwealth of Australia, or that four U.S. states officially style themselves in their constitutions as "commonwealths".
Re: A Call to Vengeance SPOILER: Haven polity
Post by pappilon   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

filbert wrote:Seems like another case of "can we haz Uncompromising Honor yet?"

One definition of "commonwealth" (from various sources I checked--and the original sense as far as I can tell) is basically another term for "republic."

There could be some there there but I personally wouldn't get too distracted by the existing Commonwealth of Nations, Commonwealth of Independent States, Commonwealth of Australia, or that four U.S. states officially style themselves in their constitutions as "commonwealths".

Wasn't my intention. English 101: Use comparisons of what your audience does know to help explain what your audience does not know. Also never underestimate your audience's intelligence, always underestimate your audience's knowledge.

Original question:
Is this "Commonwealth" that Lynne mentions something new, something I missed, or an Authorial disconnect that got past the proofreaders? Or is this how the Republic organized it's daughter and dependent worlds before going all conquistador with the People's Republic?

realities can shift and still be accurate, especially when an Ugly American [me]starts spouting British History and economic relationships. Which is kind of what the two characters are doing except its Haven.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse