Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Stephen Hawking - RIP

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Stephen Hawking - RIP
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

As a pastor who has done many funerals, I avoid directly claiming that a person who has died is in either heaven or hell. What I will say of a practicing Christian is that he shared in the struggle to live as a follower of Jesus and embraced the hope of eternal life with Christ in his heart.

With others, beyond saying that God loves everyone including both the deceased and their loved ones and that we can all depend on that, I don't comment. What it comes down to is that God has made me judge over no one which means that I'm not a chooser of who makes it through the pearly gates and who doesn't.

That being said, I do not believe that everyone automaticly goes to be with God when they die. If someone ignores God and doesn't trust him in this life, I think that they are expressing a preference which in death God respects. God forces himself on no one. I find the notion of life without God chilling. But it is rather obvious that not everyone feels the same way.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:As a pastor who has done many funerals, I avoid directly claiming that a person who has died is in either heaven or hell. What I will say of a practicing Christian is that he shared in the struggle to live as a follower of Jesus and embraced the hope of eternal life with Christ in his heart.

With others, beyond saying that God loves everyone including both the deceased and their loved ones and that we can all depend on that, I don't comment. What it comes down to is that God has made me judge over no one which means that I'm not a chooser of who makes it through the pearly gates and who doesn't.

That being said, I do not believe that everyone automaticly goes to be with God when they die. If someone ignores God and doesn't trust him in this life, I think that they are expressing a preference which in death God respects. God forces himself on no one. I find the notion of life without God chilling. But it is rather obvious that not everyone feels the same way.

Don

-

Since the original tweet was made by a GOP congressman the implication is "OMG Aint Stwphen Hawking surprised now. He just found out that he was wrong his whole entire life! What a waste of his talent.

And all of this should be taken to Free Range topics since it has nothing to do with Honorverse. Sorry Dukk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:22 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
n7axw wrote:As a pastor who has done many funerals, I avoid directly claiming that a person who has died is in either heaven or hell. What I will say of a practicing Christian is that he shared in the struggle to live as a follower of Jesus and embraced the hope of eternal life with Christ in his heart.

Don

-

Since the original tweet was made by a GOP congressman the implication is "OMG Aint Stwphen Hawking surprised now. He just found out that he was wrong his whole entire life! What a waste of his talent.

And all of this should be taken to Free Range topics since it has nothing to do with Honorverse. Sorry Dukk

Yeah, I got kind of absorbed and a bit carried away both here and in the morality discussion in the Detweiler thread. Too bad that discussions of faith and morality are so sensitive. But they are, so such discussions are best carried out in the free range topics for those who wish to participate, as you say.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse