Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 41 guests

Call to Vengeance Ramblings SPOILERS

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Call to Vengeance Ramblings SPOILERS
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 am

Keith_w
Commodore

Brigade XO wrote:
Weird Harold wrote: quote="Brigade XO"It should be Andermani, don't know why my fingers want to put that "i" in there. /quote

Turn off auto-correct. Alderman (political office) is a word auto-correct recognizes; Anderman (fictional emperor/empire) is not a word auto-correct recognizes.

Alternatively, figure out how to add "Anderman" to the dictionary your auto-correct uses.

Ah, well, auto-correct. That all depends. I use Word as a wordprocessing base (silly as I use a Mac) but I had to write all my business realted stuff for employers,both when working full time for others and then consulting. Word, even Word for Mac has this really odd and annoying habit of not carrying forward/over what amounts to any version of custom dictionary I built up. All sorts of banking/financial/legal terms along with proper names and things that "somehow" never make it into the usual dictionaries. You want to deal with some annoying crap, try having your dictionary "forget" not only customer names and related words for business but all sorts of Surnames and first (and middle) names from years and years of genealogy research. Oh, they are in all sorts of documents and softward but the auto-correct and spellchecke things they are wrong.
Yeah, I have discussed the challenge with various CS people at Micro*****. Oh, it transfers automatically when you upgrade (no, it didn't), all you have to do is.... (no, it doesn't), you can just go and get a copy and import it (humm, so when the new version OVERWROTE the old version -like it said it was going to- and manage not to latch onto the custom dictonary and doesn't want to import the custom from my regular backup stuff) it's operating per spec? Why, yes, it is, apparentely because that is what it does.
You can see where all this went, right in the toilet.
Anybody here got a solution....because I would LOVE to go and retrieve several sequential sets of custom dictionaries over a lot of years and stuff them down Word's throat- in a manner of speaking. Sorry, old bad memories, the rant awakens.

Oddly, my genealogy program has NO PROBLEM with hanging onto spellings even though it co-ops whatever wordprocessor I tell it to use in it's various internal notes sections.
Or that's just a Micro***** problem.

On a windows machine, the custom dictionary (the one you create) is stored at C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof (note that you should substitute your userid for <userid> in that string) as a text file called "CUSTOM". There is no reason to think that you could not copy this from one location to another. if you have been editing a word document, you may find that the file is locked. If so, you should log off and log back on if you use sign-ons or restart your machine before trying to copy it.

I don't know where it is stored on an Apple machine, however, I found the location on the windows machine by going into "options" (under the "File" menu choice), going to the "Proofing" option and selecting "Custom Dictionaries".

Hope this helps.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Randomiser wrote:Spoilers

Maybe Clegg is right, if Travis gets a command he can be all stern, withdrawn and 'Master after God' and let his XO deal with the people stuff. (Ain't going to work too well on a corvette though!)

Normally, at least in the US Navy, the Exec is the disciplinarian, except for those UCMJ items that require the Commander to act. But it would be the Exec to present the case.

Disclaimer: I was Air Force, not Navy. My knowledge of Naval disciplinary processes is based on rumor, hearsay, gossip, innuendo, hearsay, rumor and public sources, some of which may be apocryphal, others are fictional. I said hearsay twice.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

]
Randomiser wrote:Spoilers

Maybe Clegg is right, if Travis gets a command he can be all stern, withdrawn and 'Master after God' and let his XO deal with the people stuff. (Ain't going to work too well on a corvette though!)

Fox2! wrote:Normally, at least in the US Navy, the Exec is the disciplinarian, except for those UCMJ items that require the Commander to act. But it would be the Exec to present the case.

Disclaimer: I was Air Force, not Navy. My knowledge of Naval disciplinary processes is based on rumor, hearsay, gossip, innuendo, hearsay, rumor and public sources, some of which may be apocryphal, others are fictional. I said hearsay twice.

So by the track he's on, his next deployment should be as TO, correct?, then XO? by then most of his rough edges should be filed down. I think his journey through Orpheus shold be revealing. Sometimes needs must. He's beginning to realize that rules are sometimes just guidelines. And his inability to read people will never go away, but he can learn to compensate.

:lol: :lol: Who knows maybe a treecat will take pity on him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think you guys are hung up on Travis' rule stickler image. There is a lot more to him than that as I think that end of assignment evaluation from Clegg makes clear.

What we have with Travis is a three dimensional character whose struggle with his circumstances we get to witness as he confronts new situations and challenges.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:48 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:I think you guys are hung up on Travis' rule stickler image. There is a lot more to him than that as I think that end of assignment evaluation from Clegg makes clear.

What we have with Travis is a three dimensional character whose struggle with his circumstances we get to witness as he confronts new situations and challenges.

Don

-

From what Locatelli was saying in the Epilogue (and I am assuming he wins the coin toss), I suspect that Travis will be spending a lot of time developing tactical training. IIRC, Weber stated in a podcast that Travis Long was as important to the development of the RMN as Edward Saganami.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Fox2!   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:53 am

Fox2!
Commodore

pappilon wrote:Spoilers

So by the track he's on, his next deployment should be as TO, correct?, then XO? by then most of his rough edges should be filed down. I think his journey through Orpheus shold be revealing. Sometimes needs must. He's beginning to realize that rules are sometimes just guidelines. And his inability to read people will never go away, but he can learn to compensate.

:lol: :lol: Who knows maybe a treecat will take pity on him.[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, Travis was TO aboard Casey on her little jaunt to Silesia.

As someone mentioned above, a staff tour for both Travis and Lisa will allow them to settle down after they marry. And Lisa may need an extended ground side tour after that.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:57 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Don,

I'm with you, but wouldn't Clegg feel it was delicious poetic justice if Townsend came aboard Travis's first ship for some special mission and exercised special order 7 on Travis?

Very interesting times, indeed.

L

n7axw wrote:I think you guys are hung up on Travis' rule stickler image. There is a lot more to him than that as I think that end of assignment evaluation from Clegg makes clear.

Don

-
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:35 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Don

-

Perhaps you are right, Ican only cling to textev.

EPILOGUE p 463 Paragraph 2: "Having said that, and making all due allowance for the clashes between our personalities,I continue to believe this officer is far too conscious of the exact letter of the regulations. This makes him, in many ways, a less than ideal leader during routine shipboard operations..." Trina Miranda Clegg ommanding officer Her Majesty's Ship Casey.

Yes it does go on And yes I did read it AND understand it. I know several adults with some learning disability that causes them to fail to pick up on social cues. I have seen them work very diligently and be very goal oriented, yet get totally blindsided when they are terminated for their social interactions with others. Very similar to Our Travis U. Long, Lt, RMN.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:50 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Don,

I'm with you, but wouldn't Clegg feel it was delicious poetic justice if Townsend came aboard Travis's first ship for some special mission and exercised special order 7 on Travis?

Very interesting times, indeed.

L

If it came to that, I think Travis would have been read in. Its like he isn't aware of Delphi already. And with them working together again, they would be better being on the same page from the start.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Bluesqueak   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

Don

-

From what Locatelli was saying in the Epilogue (and I am assuming he wins the coin toss), I suspect that Travis will be spending a lot of time developing tactical training. IIRC, Weber stated in a podcast that Travis Long was as important to the development of the RMN as Edward Saganami.

Given that this would make an incredibly boring book (apologies to those who think there's nothing more thrilling than discussing setting up tactical simulations), I suspect our authors would deal with that the same way they did Travis' college and OCS years - a time jump to just before his next shipboard deployment.

But I'm not sure Locatelli is going to win the coin toss, you know. A direct descendent of Travis and Lisa works for SIS, after all - and Travis is both a naval officer and an SIS agent while he's working for SIS. So which is going to be the more interesting writing choice - Travis continuing with SIS for at least one book, or a time skip to Travis' first shipboard XO stint?

Especially given that they're going to dig stuff out of those captured computers that will need confirmation. I'd really love a full undercover mission to Beowulf, with SIS having taken a leaf out of the Andermani playbook and sending our merry gang in as an 'armed merchantman', complete with a couple of husband-and-wife teams to show they're not naval, no, not us, definitely not. ;)

Return to Honorverse