Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 87 guests

Call to Vengeance Ramblings SPOILERS

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Call to Vengeance Ramblings SPOILERS
Post by pappilon   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:01 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:Manticore's also made off with the Volsungs' office computer on Telmach (where Chomps and Travis encountered the dogs). So they managed to get their hands on the info from the computer on the base and the one from the office.

Don

-

Yes they did, I don't know how much additional data they mined from the office computer, but it did lead them directly to the Volsung base. Details of the battle much beyond the destruction of the missile installations around the space station are ... pretty sparse.

Don't know how many shipboard computers were around to hack. Remember, Clegg only negotiated access to the station's mainframe, and Riefenstahl's orders were to destroy Gensonne and all of his ships. Any surrendered ship's computers, if any actually struck wedge, were not part of the deal.

Call it lack of institutional wisdom, not a critique of Clegg's abilities or foresight. She had her orders, and frankly the Station's mainframe was a better shot ofhaving all information they wanted as far as who and why Gensonne & the Volsungs even attacked Mantiore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
n7axw wrote:Manticore's also made off with the Volsungs' office computer on Telmach (where Chomps and Travis encountered the dogs). So they managed to get their hands on the info from the computer on the base and the one from the office.

Don

-

Yes they did, I don't know how much additional data they mined from the office computer, but it did lead them directly to the Volsung base. Details of the battle much beyond the destruction of the missile installations around the space station are ... pretty sparse.

Don't know how many shipboard computers were around to hack. Remember, Clegg only negotiated access to the station's mainframe, and Riefenstahl's orders were to destroy Gensonne and all of his ships. Any surrendered ship's computers, if any actually struck wedge, were not part of the deal.

Call it lack of institutional wisdom, not a critique of Clegg's abilities or foresight. She had her orders, and frankly the Station's mainframe was a better shot ofhaving all information they wanted as far as who and why Gensonne & the Volsungs even attacked Mantiore.

He had orders to destroy the base, anyway. I suspect that any ships that were taken the Andermani kept as prizes. I agree with your assessment of thc relative value of the base computer as opposed to the office. Still, there was encrypted stuff on that office computer and something of value could be revealed. And with the office computer, they got away with the whole thing.

I wonder what happened to those poor dogs...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Keith_w   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 am

Keith_w
Commodore

It seems to me that the fact that Axelrod was the employer of the Volsumg would be something that Gensomme would keep to himself. In short, the only computer you might find that information in is between his ears rather than allow any Tom, Dick or Manticorian to be able to extract it from a desktop computer no matter how well encrypted.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Brigade XO   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:06 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Given that we didn't see any battle scene after the destruction of the two orbital missile platforms and the Andermani demeand the Volsungs surrender, I would have to guess there wasn't any. Why, well mostly because Casey was already locked up in the Volsung ships targeting and would have faired poorly.
There is also the question of how many of the ship's captains would have prefered to die rather than surrender. There would be little question that the Andermani force could destroy them (just the Battle ship as we are told) and while we don't know what any of the ship's crews or officers had for relationships/history with the Andermani, it was their leader- who is not present as well as probably his major Lt's, who are with him off getting "upgraded"- the Andermani want'. So, surrender, live and the Andermani take all the warships, the freighters are used to take the nominal civilians on the planet (at least) back to home, and they go back to The Empire. Nothing was said about what happens to the freighters but unless there is some requirement to return them to the pre-pirate prize owners, the Andermani would have also ended up taking them back to the Empire.

Manticore does have a lot of information, even if it is encrypted. As I said earlier, once they start getting at that encryped data, there is a whole bunch of stuff that could be very interesting. We know that Chomps and Travis got enough from the "dog computer" to lead they and the Andermani to the Mercenary/pirate base. But it is the bookkeeping side of the information that could be very helpful. That's why they call it forensic accounting. How much, from and too who, when. How does any of that tie or looks like it could tie to anything relitive to the the attacks on Manticore including the logistics buildup to the attacks? While it is unlikely that Gensomme is going to put anything in either place/computer about Axelrod, we are talking about major office computer systems (one on the station, one in the planet which is the local office (a public face and management/logistical contact hub) for the Mercenary organization which is a (more or less) legitimate company. So they have bank and supplier accounts. Paper trail....electronic but still a paper trail. All sorts of interesting things can be teased out of paper trails. Manticore has smart people. I'll bet SIS can hire or bring in some really good forensic accountants, they may already have some in the Navy.
That wouldn't be the first time bookeeping has lead to what you need to know.
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Given that we didn't see any battle scene after the destruction of the two orbital missile platforms and the Andermani demeand the Volsungs surrender, I would have to guess there wasn't any. Why, well mostly because Casey was already locked up in the Volsung ships targeting and would have faired poorly.
There is also the question of how many of the ship's captains would have prefered to die rather than surrender. There would be little question that the Andermani force could destroy them (just the Battle ship as we are told) and while we don't know what any of the ship's crews or officers had for relationships/history with the Andermani, it was their leader- who is not present as well as probably his major Lt's, who are with him off getting "upgraded"- the Andermani want'. So, surrender, live and the Andermani take all the warships, the freighters are used to take the nominal civilians on the planet (at least) back to home, and they go back to The Empire. Nothing was said about what happens to the freighters but unless there is some requirement to return them to the pre-pirate prize owners, the Andermani would have also ended up taking them back to the Empire.

Manticore does have a lot of information, even if it is encrypted. As I said earlier, once they start getting at that encryped data, there is a whole bunch of stuff that could be very interesting. We know that Chomps and Travis got enough from the "dog computer" to lead they and the Andermani to the Mercenary/pirate base. But it is the bookkeeping side of the information that could be very helpful. That's why they call it forensic accounting. How much, from and too who, when. How does any of that tie or looks like it could tie to anything relitive to the the attacks on Manticore including the logistics buildup to the attacks? While it is unlikely that Gensomme is going to put anything in either place/computer about Axelrod, we are talking about major office computer systems (one on the station, one in the planet which is the local office (a public face and management/logistical contact hub) for the Mercenary organization which is a (more or less) legitimate company. So they have bank and supplier accounts. Paper trail....electronic but still a paper trail. All sorts of interesting things can be teased out of paper trails. Manticore has smart people. I'll bet SIS can hire or bring in some really good forensic accountants, they may already have some in the Navy.
That wouldn't be the first time bookeeping has lead to what you need to know.

There was a battle. We don't know a lot of detail, but we are told that Basaltberg took out a battlecruiser with a massive three wave salvo. More than that we don't know.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by filbert   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm

filbert
Lieutenant Commander

n7axw wrote:
He had orders to destroy the base, anyway. I suspect that any ships that were taken the Andermani kept as prizes. I agree with your assessment of thc relative value of the base computer as opposed to the office. Still, there was encrypted stuff on that office computer and something of value could be revealed. And with the office computer, they got away with the whole thing.

Don

-

Well, Chomps HAS been hungry lately. 8-)
/SarumanMode Off
Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

filbert wrote:
n7axw wrote:

Don

-

Well, Chomps HAS been hungry lately. 8-)

/SarumanMode Off

No idea what happened, but you can bet they did not get beggin' strips.

And what is this obsession with taking obsolete ships as war prizes? Gustav Anderman doesn't need destroyers or even cruisers. Textev says the Andermani got off an hour before Casey no mention of their prizes with them.

To jump timelines, the only reason Michelle grabbed Byng's ships as prizes was to take a look inside theSLN's actual tech. But only because they could see a direct confrontation. That was a strategic decision. They never bohered to take more prizes, they just slagged the molycircs and abandonned them.

I can see taking the freighters that may be pirated and making the attempt to find the rightful owners, but not the combat units. Better to set off the scuttling charges and let the stragglers find the "orbiting space debris."

And for information- There's three kinds of information: information, interesting information and actionable information. That the Governor of Zenovia owns the rights to Slobovia, the planet base of the Volsung Mercenaries, is certainly intersting information, it is not actionable information.

I doubt Llyn is stupid/sloppy enough to make payments into the Volsung bank accounts directly from Axelrod's corporate accounts. Any financial information is merely interesting, as anything actionable will lead to a cut out and from there to a dead end.

But yeah, even a blind squirrel finds the occasional acorn.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Taking prizes is not uncommon in the aftermath of a battle. We really don't know how out of date the Volsung ships would have been in comparison to the Andermani. It could be that they could be refurbished and updated. Or maybe they were kept up to date or not too far behind, anyway. Or if not, those ships would have some value even if sold off by the pound for scrap.

At any rate the notion of taking prizes is pretty reasonable and not all that uncommon.

Don

-
Post by pappilon   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:Taking prizes is not uncommon in the aftermath of a battle. We really don't know how out of date the Volsung ships would have been in comparison to the Andermani. It could be that they could be refurbished and updated. Or maybe they were kept up to date or not too far behind, anyway. Or if not, those ships would have some value even if sold off by the pound for scrap.

At any rate the notion of taking prizes is pretty reasonable and not all that uncommon.

Don

-

I don't know how literally Gustav Anderman's orders are to be taken. Destroy the base does not mean "but yeah snatch up any mission capable survivors."
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by n7axw   » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
n7axw wrote:Taking prizes is not uncommon in the aftermath of a battle. We really don't know how out of date the Volsung ships would have been in comparison to the Andermani. It could be that they could be refurbished and updated. Or maybe they were kept up to date or not too far behind, anyway. Or if not, those ships would have some value even if sold off by the pound for scrap.

Don

-

I don't know how literally Gustav Anderman's orders are to be taken. Destroy the base does not mean "but yeah snatch up any mission capable survivors."

I think that taking prizes would be assumed and wouldn't need to be included in any orders.

Don

-

Return to Honorverse