Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

Call to Vengeance Ramblings SPOILERS

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Call to Vengeance Ramblings SPOILERS
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:31 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Just what did Gensonne do to upset the Andermani?

Is his reference to Uncle Gustav familial or just generic?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by n7axw   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:26 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:

Casey doesn't have the crew to grab even 1 ship as a prize. And its intact computer would potentially be worth the effort. THE issue is,the Andermani Commander has explicit orders to destroy the Volsung base and all ships.

Unless Travis pulls Article 7 out of his ...back pocket again, Clegg is not going to even suggest it. And didn't Hauptmann make off with a cart or two of spare parts?[/quote]

Travis and his fellow SIS agent have the contents of the station computer- pulled and shared with the Andermani. It sounded like that was what they were doing and not also digging through the computers of the pirate ships although it is possible that the Andermani were (they have a lot more people availabled and perhaps they shared that data with the Clasey.
You have to wonder what the division of labor was and who was pulling what. Would the Andernami stripped the computers on all the ships of everything- hell yes! Where have these guys been? What were they doing? What ships did they take or destroyed? Who were their contacts? Where did they fence stolen ships/cargo, who was supplying them? It would boggle the mind if they just blythfully pulled the crews off the pirates and nudged the ships out of orbit with the primary reactor set to self-destruct without sucking them dry of information. They have traitors to catch and pirate accomplacies and supporters to find & kill.

Haupmann seems to have found a number of things and nobody said the Andermani took them away from him- just how much he got over to Casey is an open question. Given that there may or may not have been Andermani sailors on watch. It's not like he was hiding the search from them, he showed the Andermani commander samples which he was looking at to try and determine origin based on serial number patterns. Remember that this is the guy who was put aboard Casey to make and follow up for contacts and sources of equipment and markets as part of the Goodwill Tour. He wants tech-spec's and sources. He wants plans and samples. He also wants to improve his business (present or future) as well as assist the Navy/Government do all this stuff.

I think Clegg has grown in this to a much better commander and sees things from new perspective just as much as Travis has. She has now seen at least the Andermani who take a much more professional approch to things and were willing to train and pass along knowledge and proceedures (with GREAT sensitivity and care not to treat the Manticoians as hicks who were clearly not up to their standards but were willing to learn and didn't balk at hard work to do so). She has seen "best practices" in operation. She has come to see Travis and Chomps not just as truly annoying burdens but assets, more importantly she has changed her view on dealing with subordinates that don't fit her earlier expectations. She can look for and understand why they don't and take steps to change that. Some of that is changing herself not just molding (or dumping) the subordinate. She also has a clearer picture and adjusted understanding of where RMN needs to go and probably how they need to get there in terms of becoming better and more effective. And, she now knows that things will continue to change and she needs to both change as well and help mold that change.

She sees (and Locatelli sees the change as reflected in his discussion of both her mission report and her fitness evaluation of Travis) the need to harness and chanel the Navy personel's strength (as well as faults) and potential to best advantage. She also seems to have been developing some diplomatic skills. Well, she can be more "diplomatic" in dealing with others in the same spirit of Travis learning better interpersonal skills and a certain new flexibility in approch to regulations from the strict and litteral sticking to them.

Should be fun.

Might even have to get Political.[/quote]

I thought that Clegg criticizing Travis' interpersonal skills was sort of like the pot calling the kettle black! :lol: However both of them exude commitment and competence which is to be admired and respected.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

George J. Smith wrote:Just what did Gensonne do to upset the Andermani?

I wondered that. Apparently there's a Volsung short story in the pipeline somewhere, so we may find out.

In the meantime, Gustav Andermann believed he was the reincarnation of Frederick the Great. Frederick the Great was succeeded by his nephew - so it could be a little Gensonne joke, that he's planning to be the 'nephew' who succeeds 'Uncle Gustav'.

But the other thing I wondered was Cutler picking the name 'Gensonne' as his nom de guerre. While a perfectly genuine name, it could also be taken as 'Gen. Son'. The General's Son.

Either way, the hint is that Cutler was Andermann's heir apparent, before things went pear-shaped between them.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:40 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:

I wondered that. Apparently there's a Volsung short story in the pipeline somewhere, so we may find out.

In the meantime, Gustav Andermann believed he was the reincarnation of Frederick the Great. Frederick the Great was succeeded by his nephew - so it could be a little Gensonne joke, that he's planning to be the 'nephew' who succeeds 'Uncle Gustav'.

But the other thing I wondered was Cutler picking the name 'Gensonne' as his nom de guerre. While a perfectly genuine name, it could also be taken as 'Gen. Son'. The General's Son.

Either way, the hint is that Cutler was Andermann's heir apparent, before things went pear-shaped between them.

Extrapolating from textev, I'd say no relation. [quote ="P283 ACtV"] "Cutler Gensonne was one of the Emperor's chief captains." ..."he was rising through the ranks when ...well, lets just sayhe fell from the emperor's favor."[/quote]

The other piece comes to mind about the Anderman Navy only keeping the officers that aspired to the highest standards were kept. Can't find the text,but best guess, Gensonne was not an officer imbued with high moral fiber (obviously).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

They did call him a traitor.
And I wondered if his defection was somehow related to the damage caused to their BB.
ACTV: Ch. 31 wrote:But Travis knew a refitted ship when he saw one. In fact, he sspected that Vergeltung hadn't been refitted so much as rebuilt. There were clear signs of heavy damage, including both external and internal stiffening plates, the kind used to relieve stress on hull frames and decking after significant damage."

And while I can't find it right now, I have a vague recollection that at one point it was mentioned that it was fitting or appropriate for Vergeltung to participate in destroying Gensonne's base - which led me to wonder why? Was he involved in her very extensive damage? Possibly as part of his abrupt departure?
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
They did call him a traitor.
And I wondered if his defection was somehow related to the damage caused to their BB.
ACTV: Ch. 31 wrote:But Travis knew a refitted ship when he saw one. In fact, he sspected that Vergeltung hadn't been refitted so much as rebuilt. There were clear signs of heavy damage, including both external and internal stiffening plates, the kind used to relieve stress on hull frames and decking after significant damage."

And while I can't find it right now, I have a vague recollection that at one point it was mentioned that it was fitting or appropriate for Vergeltung to participate in destroying Gensonne's base - which led me to wonder why? Was he involved in her very extensive damage? Possibly as part of his abrupt departure?

Possibly, but I suspect it's a little joke. Vergeltung means 'requital'. Basically, a ship called 'It's Payback Time' is delivering said payback. ;)
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

With regards what Cutler Gensonne did to upset Gustav Andermani some point of how infuriated Gustav was is in the name of the operation to capture or kill him is Verräterweg which means 'Traitors Way.'
They really wanted him.
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

I have to admit that there is one scene, which is not in the book, that I would have liked to have read.

It is the scene after Casey has left the Walther System and the Axelrod Black Ops Team proceeds to the Volsung base... only to discover that someone else has beaten them to it and it is no longer there.

Imagine Llyn's reaction when he realises that there is another player he is totally unaware of and he must wonder whether they have obtained the information that links Axelrod with the attempt to seize the Manticore Binary System.

Thoughts anyone.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:09 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:I have to admit that there is one scene, which is not in the book, that I would have liked to have read.

It is the scene after Casey has left the Walther System and the Axelrod Black Ops Team proceeds to the Volsung base... only to discover that someone else has beaten them to it and it is no longer there.

Imagine Llyn's reaction when he realises that there is another player he is totally unaware of and he must wonder whether they have obtained the information that links Axelrod with the attempt to seize the Manticore Binary System.

Thoughts anyone.

The black ops team will simply have to report back to Llyn that the base had been destroyed before they arrived on scene. Since Llyn is already aware of the animus between Gustav and Gensonne, he will assume that the Andermani did the deed. What will be loose ends for Llyn will be how the Andermani found the base and what they actually learned while the base was in their possession.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:26 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Rincewind wrote:I have to admit that there is one scene, which is not in the book, that I would have liked to have read.

Possibly a scene from the next episode: A Call to Insurrection?

Rincewind wrote:Imagine Llyn's reaction when he realises that there is another player he is totally unaware of and he must wonder whether they have obtained the information that links Axelrod with the attempt to seize the Manticore Binary System.

Thoughts anyone.

But then there was the break inat his corporate office and theft of the computer by agent or agents unknown. We know Manticore's ONI is a joke, it must have been those thrice damned Andermani.

n7axw wrote:The black ops team will simply have to report back to Llyn that the base had been destroyed before they arrived on scene. Since Llyn is already aware of the animus between Gustav and Gensonne, he will assume that the Andermani did the deed. What will be loose ends for Llyn will be how the Andermani found the base and what they actually learned while the base was in their possession.

Don

-

Since it should be [falsely] obvious that it must have been the Andermani that found the Volsung base, he can sort of relax. (1) Axelrod Black Ops is not going to take on the Andermani. (2) Gustav has no incentive to pass that information to the Manties.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse