Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

SLN Energy Weapon Oddity

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SLN Energy Weapon Oddity
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I've never understand how even lackadaisical idiots could miss the advent of laserheads and what it meant to point defense. The Andermani had to be working in close proximity to League ships fighting pirates.

Surely the League had plenty of witnesses that "Something wicked this way has come."

Who adopted laserheads first? I know that Manticore sharpened the beam's focus - the lasing rod. But did they also develop the tech? I don't remember.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

adermani deployed it first. with haven and manticore either bought the specs from them or built their own version soon after.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:adermani deployed it first. with haven and manticore either bought the specs from them or built their own version soon after.

It would have been very friendly of the Andermani to share such a profound development with Manticore. Seeing as there was no love lost between them. It would also have been stupid at the time, seeing as though it seemed their paths were destined to cross.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:50 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Dauntless wrote:adermani deployed it first. with haven and manticore either bought the specs from them or built their own version soon after.

It would have been very friendly of the Andermani to share such a profound development with Manticore. Seeing as there was no love lost between them. It would also have been stupid at the time, seeing as though it seemed their paths were destined to cross.

Dauntless. You will probably be just as astounded as I am to discover this...

1833 P.D. : The first short series of design tests by Aberu and Harmon for the SLN of what will eventually become known as the 'laser head' ship-killer missile payload.

Surely this can't be right?

Post by Potato   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 am

Potato
Captain of the List

How about you read In Fire Forged for what the BuNine has written about the laser head before making any proclamations?
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Potato wrote:How about you read In Fire Forged for what the BuNine has written about the laser head before making any proclamations?

Why can't you post it, is it classified? :roll:

Post by n7axw   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

IIRC, the tests did not work out as specified which led the SLN to lose interest with the result that the SLN missed out initially when the laserhead became practical.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Potato   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

Potato
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Potato wrote:How about you read In Fire Forged for what the BuNine has written about the laser head before making any proclamations?

Because in all the years I have seen you post, you have shown a stunning inability to do your own damn work. I am not here to enable your continual ignorance of what is plainly written in the text.
Post by HungryKing   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 am

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

It did happen. The tests ended with the conclusion that the laserhead did not work. It is implied that the tests were both biased against the laserhead and also a correct assessment at the time. Which probably means that the laserhead was ineffective but the SLN was far too focused on burning out sidewalls to notice that the laserhead was capable of firing through them, even if to little effect at the time. Remember the early laserhead's primary advantage was not the fact that it did direct damage but that it had even greater stand off range and could make off axis shots.

cthia wrote:

Dauntless. You will probably be just as astounded as I am to discover this...

1833 P.D. : The first short series of design tests by Aberu and Harmon for the SLN of what will eventually become known as the 'laser head' ship-killer missile payload.

Surely this can't be right?
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Potato wrote:Because in all the years I have seen you post, you have shown a stunning inability to do your own damn work. I am not here to enable your continual ignorance of what is plainly written in the text.

OMG.

I am also not here to raise some people's children. Textev is oftentimes misremembered, ill-forgotten, miscontrued or just plain missed. If it is true that you don't or didn't want to entertain any inadequacies you may perceive I might have, then why didn't you just abstain from posting? It is easier, and socially accepted, to simply STFU.

"If you don't have anything nice to say..." Our parents always taught us.

It is obvious that you still bear grudges from a past incident when our paths have crossed where your same lack of manners led to your embarrassment. I'm guessing the Eridani Edict thread where the same lack of manners is evident. I can care less for your feelings, since you ask for it. And as far as your lack of manners, I can recommend a few classes. I can even pay for it and the wild hair removal you have up your ass.

Now go crying to Duckk. I'm done overlooking the childish exchanges of "alleged" adults -- and I won't dare blame the parents. I am also very thankful for my parents that none of my "inadequacies" are of the social kind.

Of all "the years you've been on the forum," when are you going to find some manners.

Do note. The lack of a question mark above is intentional. ;)

Return to Honorverse