Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jonathan_S, Majestic-12 [Bot], noblehunter and 13 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Joat42   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Joat42
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1163
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am
Location: Sweden

cthia wrote:
Joat42 wrote:As usual, you trot out all the negatives again when talking about Beowulf.

You really have it in for Beowulf, don't you? Because you can't stop talking about Beowulf in derogatory or belittling terms. Your whole choice of words is typically chauvinistic - because as the "bestest girl" of the League, the "housewife", the "rebellious", the "traitorous" and on and on - she should know her place. How dare she leave the League and join forces with Manticore, she's a bad wife, she's cheating blah blah blah.

What is it that you can't accept about Beowulf? Because something is seriously stuck in your craw.


Joat, there seems to be a limit to your understanding of karma. And you hit that ceiling a long time ago and have been back pedaling ever since. What good is talking about the positive things Beowulf did, and there are many, when discussing her flavor of karma?

Besides, her karma didn't come from the good things Beowulf did in the galaxy. It comes from the bad things Beowulf did to the testy Gorilla in the galaxy, with whom she was in a relationship.

I don't profess to understand karma perfectly but I understand the general principles of karma and the different subtexts that's used depending on if we are talking about Buddhism, Hinduism or Jainism.

Your use of the word doesn't really fit any of those schools, which means the definition is entirely your own. How can a person reason with made up meanings of a word?

And you are still victim blaming Beowulf.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10462
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

cthia wrote:
Joat42 wrote:As usual, you trot out all the negatives again when talking about Beowulf.

You really have it in for Beowulf, don't you? Because you can't stop talking about Beowulf in derogatory or belittling terms. Your whole choice of words is typically chauvinistic - because as the "bestest girl" of the League, the "housewife", the "rebellious", the "traitorous" and on and on - she should know her place. How dare she leave the League and join forces with Manticore, she's a bad wife, she's cheating blah blah blah.

What is it that you can't accept about Beowulf? Because something is seriously stuck in your craw.


Joat, there seems to be a limit to your understanding of karma. And you hit that ceiling a long time ago and have been back pedaling ever since. What good is talking about the positive things Beowulf did, and there are many, when discussing her flavor of karma?

Besides, her karma didn't come from the good things Beowulf did in the galaxy. It comes from the bad things Beowulf did to the testy Gorilla in the galaxy, with whom she was in a relationship.

Joat42 wrote:I don't profess to understand karma perfectly but I understand the general principles of karma and the different subtexts that's used depending on if we are talking about Buddhism, Hinduism or Jainism.

Your use of the word doesn't really fit any of those schools, which means the definition is entirely your own. How can a person reason with made up meanings of a word?

And you are still victim blaming Beowulf.


Victim blaming Beowulf charge again 'eh? Me EW platforms have seen this plenty of times before and choose to ignore.

As far as the other charge. . .

This is almost getting to be hilarious.

I'll meet you half way. Let's just totally discard my definition of karma and use that of the entire industrialized worlds as I think ldwechsler gets credit for using just a few clicks upstream. . .

Karma is a bitch!

An entire search devoted to the sentiment.

I suppose you think that's a far cry from my sentiment upstream. . .

cthia wrote:Bad-Karma is a self-righteous self-centered testy old bitch who is only concerned with the one thing you did wrong.


Whatever.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:26 pm

tlb
Captain of the List

Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 am

tlb wrote:Then lets just take my criticisms as given and permit this dog to scratch himself and go to sleep.

PS. I do not expect that we are particularly street; so the Urban Dictionary might not be normally applicable.

cthia wrote:Huh? I simply used the first dictionary I came upon. The idiom is a very common part of American slang.

tlb wrote:The problem with analogies and idioms is that they require you and your listener to share a background. That is why it is safer to avoid them when talking to a wider audience. Perhaps this was a common idiom when you grew up; I am only familiar with it from a few movies (usually starring Joe Pesci as a mobster), it was never a part of the slang when I grew up. On this forum, the only guaranteed background is provided by the books.

PS. I expect the definition given, "to want to cause physical harm to someone", is very much a euphemism for "wanting to f**k someone up" which better corresponds to the imagery.

cthia wrote:Here you are suggesting to an American that he shouldn't even use American idioms to discuss an American work of fiction, in light of youngsters that may have been suckling when the idiom was vogue. It never went into obscurity if you ask me.

I don't know what else to tell ya. But to say no offense was ever intended and that I thought I showed patience in explaining my stance, knowing there are foreigners and people who just didn't get it. I simply like book discussions. Once upon a time I frequented several in the areas I was living at the time. As a male, I was always outnumbered, and in several I was the only male. Though the females loved my input.

I'm all about the discussion w/o favoritism or nepotism though I am human and can be affected by it as well as anyone.

Someone once stated in another thread that my family always agrees with me.

I am an American and retired, so not a youngster. I merely say that what you call "American" idioms do not have the widespread usage that you think they do. I accept that you did not mean to give offense when you used that expression several times over the course of our back and forth.
You are free to say whatever you want (within the limits set by Duckk); but I have tried to explain to you that the embellishments are not always helpful to your cause.
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10462
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:Then lets just take my criticisms as given and permit this dog to scratch himself and go to sleep.

PS. I do not expect that we are particularly street; so the Urban Dictionary might not be normally applicable.

cthia wrote:Huh? I simply used the first dictionary I came upon. The idiom is a very common part of American slang.

tlb wrote:The problem with analogies and idioms is that they require you and your listener to share a background. That is why it is safer to avoid them when talking to a wider audience. Perhaps this was a common idiom when you grew up; I am only familiar with it from a few movies (usually starring Joe Pesci as a mobster), it was never a part of the slang when I grew up. On this forum, the only guaranteed background is provided by the books.

PS. I expect the definition given, "to want to cause physical harm to someone", is very much a euphemism for "wanting to f**k someone up" which better corresponds to the imagery.

cthia wrote:Here you are suggesting to an American that he shouldn't even use American idioms to discuss an American work of fiction, in light of youngsters that may have been suckling when the idiom was vogue. It never went into obscurity if you ask me.

I don't know what else to tell ya. But to say no offense was ever intended and that I thought I showed patience in explaining my stance, knowing there are foreigners and people who just didn't get it. I simply like book discussions. Once upon a time I frequented several in the areas I was living at the time. As a male, I was always outnumbered, and in several I was the only male. Though the females loved my input.

I'm all about the discussion w/o favoritism or nepotism though I am human and can be affected by it as well as anyone.

Someone once stated in another thread that my family always agrees with me.

I am an American and retired, so not a youngster. I merely say that what you call "American" idioms do not have the widespread usage that you think they do. I accept that you did not mean to give offense when you used that expression several times over the course of our back and forth.
You are free to say whatever you want (within the limits set by Duckk); but I have tried to explain to you that the embellishments are not always helpful to your cause.

I. . .acknowledge what you say about the embellishments. But when straight facts don't work, I've got to improvise.

What am I to do when almost everyone resisted what was obvious to me - as a bright full moon in a clear dark sky - at the beginning of the thread that the Mandarins, the SLN and even citizens of the League would view Beowulf's actions as treasonous? Revisit the threads beginning where pages were wasted on something as simple as that. And it continues to occur. Even after . . .


S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S


the author sent the cavalry my way bearing gifts of textev to that effect.

Hell, I even began talking in the third person. No one could understand that the League, Mandarins and SL citizens would be passionate about Beowulf's implied responsibilities to its founding.

Resistance of which I am still gob smacked. And pockets of resistance continues.

I only have one word if you think that I think the resistance against certain parties thinking it was treason wouldn't still be raging rapids-ly if not for the cavalry. SWAMPLAND.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by tlb   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:23 pm

tlb
Captain of the List

Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 am

cthia wrote:I. . .acknowledge what you say about the embellishments. But when straight facts don't work, I've got to improvise.

What am I to do when almost everyone resisted what was obvious to me - as a bright full moon in a clear dark sky - at the beginning of the thread that the Mandarins, the SLN and even citizens of the League would view Beowulf's actions as treasonous? Revisit the threads beginning where pages were wasted on something as simple as that. And it continues to occur. Even after the author sent the cavalry my way bearing gifts of textev to that effect.

Hell, I even began talking in the third person. No one could understand that the League, Mandarins and SL citizens would be passionate about Beowulf's implied responsibilities to its founding.

Resistance of which I am still gob smacked. And pockets of resistance continues.

I am sorry to keep this going; but I think that if your thesis was simply the following, then this thread would not have gotten as long as it has:
the Mandarins, the SLN and even citizens of the League would view Beowulf's actions as treasonous

Most everyone would agree, even before the author provided your cavalry charge.

Where you run into difficulty with some people is the second part of the thesis:
that the League, Mandarins and SL citizens would be passionate about Beowulf's implied responsibilities to its founding

The resistance continues.
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Brigade XO
Admiral

Posts: 2159
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: KY

There are only two types of Karma.....well, not so much two distinct types but two very different results of Karma.

One is the one you hope for but don't depend on, which is that various good works and deeds will someday make your life a little brighter and bring you some ease.

The other is what you vehemently pray (even to the point of trying to assist it's deliverance) of every BAD or unkind thing that somebody has done (to ANYBODY) will be inflicted upon them in Spades in the most painful, largest amount, at the worst possible time (for them) and you (and a cast of at least hundreds) will be able to know it has come to pass and can draw vast satisfaction from the offending party getting the crap kicked out of them (so to speak) and SUFFER......Sometime referred to Murphy showing up and wants to show a person just how wrong something can go.

Karma usualy works though various medium. "Acts of God" having gone sort of out of style these days, it gets blamed on all sorts of people and things.

Karma also doesn't do Subtle.

The "good" stuff comes with a light touch- the whole blessings ideal.

The bad stuff is more like a 30 meter high Tsunami hitting the coast of Japan in the middle of a Cat 6 Typhoon .
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10462
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Can't check it out right now. Preparing for the storm that seems to be angry at the East Coast.

At any rate, does anyone remember if the contents of the diplomatic note was part of textev? Eloise fooled the Star Kingdom once for relying on diplomatic correspondence. Shame on her and her Republic.

The League fooled them again by not adhering to the political norms of diplomatic correspondence. Shame on Manticore this time.

I can just see the inner Mandarin circle of good 'ol boys. . .

"Who does that rancid bitch think she is by sending us a fucking note like we're a bunch of kids. It sounds serious too. Wooooeeeee we sure are sca-ward."

"Let me see it."

"What are you doing? Sniffing it? You pervert!"

"She could have at least put some perfume on it. Dammit, this is a waste."

"I don't even think she wrote it. You know how these things work."

"No I don't. No one's sent us a note since that system three centuries ago thanking us for their salvation. After busting a few of their heads."

"Wait, if she didn't pen it, who the hell else did she think we might listen too? Fucking self-righteous grade school neobarbs. Stop sniffing it you imbecile!"

"Really can't believe she didn't include some kind of perfume on this data chip."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10462
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Something else occurs to me. If the RMN had set on that dispatch boat, would she have been able to see the total massacre of Tsang's fleet?

I imagine the RMN would have chosen to destroy the first 17 ships coming through, then allowed the second translation to get their bearings and count the debris.

"Now surrender or we rinse and repeat."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10462
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Also, wouldn't the DB have needed to be debriefed as well? Did she stooge along back to Sol space with Tsang's fleet? It seems Tsang would have wanted to question the DB on, things. . .

ISTR the DB wanted to get out of dodge. Afraid she'd be pulled over after it became obvious she tried to pull a fast one.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 pm

TFLYTSNBN
Captain of the List

Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am

cthia wrote:Can't check it out right now. Preparing for the storm that seems to be angry at the East Coast.

At any rate, does anyone remember if the contents of the diplomatic note was part of textev? Eloise fooled the Star Kingdom once for relying on diplomatic correspondence. Shame on her and her Republic.

The League fooled them again by not adhering to the political norms of diplomatic correspondence. Shame on Manticore this time.

I can just see the inner Mandarin circle of good 'ol boys. . .

"Who does that rancid bitch think she is by sending us a fucking note like we're a bunch of kids. It sounds serious too. Wooooeeeee we sure are sca-ward."

"Let me see it."

"What are you doing? Sniffing it? You pervert!"

"She could have at least put some perfume on it. Dammit, this is a waste."

"I don't even think she wrote it. You know how these things work."

"No I don't. No one's sent us a note since that system three centuries ago thanking us for their salvation. After busting a few of their heads."

"Wait, if she didn't pen it, who the hell else did she think we might listen too? Fucking self-righteous grade school neobarbs. Stop sniffing it you imbecile!"

"Really can't believe she didn't include some kind of perfume on this data chip."


Sniffing the diplomatic note?
Now you have me thinking of that scene in the movie Bommerang where Grace Jones instructs the perfume company execs on what sex smells like and Nasty Nelson secrets the garment in his pocket.
I loved the chariot scene where Grace is whipping the four, white bodybuilders so mercilessly.
Top

Return to Honorverse