Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote:Can you imagine the infectious vitriol that must have been spewed at the meeting that okayed kinetic strikes? Pounding on the table, followed by spittle and...

"DAMMIT! BEOWULF IS TREASONOUS! A FEW KEWS IS REASONOUS!"

I think that's an enormous leap to make at this juncture.

My guess is that the Beowulf strike is unintentional on the part of the SL. It will very much be due to MAlign interference.

I know that is the collective stance of most everyone in the forum. If I had to, I'd bet on the same color at the roulette wheel as well. However, as I've stated before, if that happens, the SLN will not be without their share of the blame. What are they really doing in the system? They're making it easy for the MAlign to manipulate them. Do they really believe that Manticore is coercing, strong arming Beowulf? The two are in love for goodness sakes. Manticore and Beowulf are star struck lovers, soul mates. They're a better fit.

At any rate, are we really to believe that they drove all the way there with the intentions to be nice and accept the results of the referendum no matter the outcome? They can't sell me that swampland.

The tension between the RMN and SLN has been so volatile since Byng, that they spontaneously combust within a light-year of each other! Especially with ignorance and arrogance heaped onto the pile.

The SLN has no business at all in system under the circumstances. How would that work anyways, both of the Goliaths hovering around in orbit? No way. They'd be pulling their hair out and biting their nails, ready to blow each other into orbital debris at the screech of a cat or sound of a fart. There's no way any Manty ship will allow itself into close proximity of a Solly with sidewalls down. But that would be confrontational.

Remember Star Trek?...

"Raise shields keptin?"

"Raise shields keptin?"

Poor Sulu was sweating bullets in The Wrath of Khan. Regulations are regulations, but common sense trumps it.

Which means the RMN might simply hangout in-system in lieu of hovering too close to the arrogant, temperamental maniac in orbit. Preventing them from getting to the offending Solly ship before they do damage to the planet, either intentionally or by Malign design.

Always remember the human element.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:19 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
munroburton wrote:Can you imagine the infectious vitriol that must have been spewed at the meeting that okayed kinetic strikes? Pounding on the table, followed by spittle and...

My guess is that the Beowulf strike is unintentional on the part of the SL. It will very much be due to MAlign interference.

I know that is the collective stance of most everyone in the forum. If I had to, I'd bet on the same color at the roulette wheel as well. However, as I've stated before, if that happens, the SLN will not be without their share of the blame. What are they really doing in the system? They're making it easy for the MAlign to manipulate them. Do they really believe that Manticore is coercing, strong arming Beowulf? The two are in love for goodness sakes. Manticore and Beowulf are star struck lovers, soul mates. They're a better fit.

At any rate, are we really to believe that they drove all the way there with the intentions to be nice and accept the results of the referendum no matter the outcome? They can't sell me that swampland.

The tension between the RMN and SLN has been so volatile since Byng, that they spontaneously combust within a light-year of each other! Especially with ignorance and arrogance heaped onto the pile.

The SLN has no business at all in system under the circumstances. How would that work anyways, both of the Goliaths hovering around in orbit? No way. They'd be pulling their hair out and biting their nails, ready to blow each other into orbital debris at the screech of a cat or sound of a fart. There's no way any Manty ship will allow itself into close proximity of a Solly with sidewalls down. But that would be confrontational.

Remember Star Trek?...

"Raise shields keptin?"

"Raise shields keptin?"

Poor Sulu was sweating bullets in The Wrath of Khan. Regulations are regulations, but common sense trumps it.

Which means the RMN might simply hangout in-system in lieu of hovering too close to the arrogant, temperamental maniac in orbit. Preventing them from getting to the offending Solly ship before they do damage to the planet, either intentionally or by Malign design.

Always remember the human element.[/quote]

I love the phrase about the SLN "Share of the blame." Right. The Sollies have been in the middle of a lot of garbage for centuries.

Individual planets seem to have no rights. No one has rights except perhaps for a few very rich folk who can give large bribes.

Recall one of the Analects of Confusius. A group of workers took a quick break at the side of the road. One asked the others, "What is the penalty for being late to work?" The answer was "Death."

The next question was "What is the penalty for rebellion?" Again the answer was death.

The first guy then said, "Hate to tell you all but we're already late."

So there was rebellion.

Same for the League. How can there be treason when there is no choice?

Eventually this will late to the destruction of the Mandarins...or at least the ones currently in power. What happens later could be very interesting.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
munroburton wrote:Can you imagine the infectious vitriol that must have been spewed at the meeting that okayed kinetic strikes? Pounding on the table, followed by spittle and...

Remember Star Trek?...

"Raise shields keptin?"

"Raise shields keptin?"

I love the phrase about the SLN "Share of the blame." Right. The Sollies have been in the middle of a lot of garbage for centuries.

Individual planets seem to have no rights. No one has rights except perhaps for a few very rich folk who can give large bribes.

Recall one of the Analects of Confusius. A group of workers took a quick break at the side of the road. One asked the others, "What is the penalty for being late to work?" The answer was "Death."

The next question was "What is the penalty for rebellion?" Again the answer was death.

So there was rebellion.

Eventually this will late to the destruction of the Mandarins...or at least the ones currently in power. What happens later could be very interesting.
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Remember Star Trek?...

"Raise shields keptin?"

"Raise shields keptin?"

So there was rebellion.

Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:My guess is that the Beowulf strike is unintentional on the part of the SL. It will very much be due to MAlign interference.

You are not allowed to ACCIDENTALLY use a WMD on a populated area. It’s explicitly an edict violation due to your lack of concern for human life.

It’s part of why Green Pines is a problem for the GA, “Sorry, my bad” isn’t an acceptable response when you set off a WDM in an urban area.
Post by munroburton   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:44 pm

munroburton
Admiral

kzt wrote:
munroburton wrote:My guess is that the Beowulf strike is unintentional on the part of the SL. It will very much be due to MAlign interference.

You are not allowed to ACCIDENTALLY use a WMD on a populated area. It’s explicitly an edict violation due to your lack of concern for human life.

It’s part of why Green Pines is a problem for the GA, “Sorry, my bad” isn’t an acceptable response when you set off a WDM in an urban area.

What if your WMDs are hijacked? The SLN opens fire on a fleet 20 million kilometres or more away from the planet in question. Hidden programming in the missiles switches on and retargets the planet, also ignoring abort commands.

That snippet about the data-mining of SLN comm data implies that Manticore may get some evidence of what happened on Filareta's flagship.(However, it might be false data planted to show Filareta ordering the attack...)

Hanging the SL for these acts lets the MAlign off the hook. I just don't buy Cthia's caricature that the SL Mandarins have become so mindlessly enraged that they order the SLN to go carry out a blatant atrocity.
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:

munroburton wrote:What if your WMDs are hijacked? The SLN opens fire on a fleet 20 million kilometres or more away from the planet in question. Hidden programming in the missiles switches on and retargets the planet, also ignoring abort commands.

That snippet about the data-mining of SLN comm data implies that Manticore may get some evidence of what happened on Filareta's flagship.(However, it might be false data planted to show Filareta ordering the attack...)

Hanging the SL for these acts lets the MAlign off the hook. I just don't buy Cthia's caricature that the SL Mandarins have become so mindlessly enraged that they order the SLN to go carry out a blatant atrocity.

But they have already. In SoV, they effected a strike against one of their own when the governor called in the strike to put down a terrorist uprising. They were called out for the act, after the fact, and chastised by a Manty. It should be an easier call for them to do so to avenge treason. I'm not saying I actually think that's the case. I'm simply saying that if it is, I for one would not be surprised.

Last edited by cthia on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:06 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:What if your WMDs are hijacked? The SLN opens fire on a fleet 20 million kilometres or more away from the planet in question. Hidden programming in the missiles switches on and retargets the planet, also ignoring abort commands.

You don’t really believe any of that Manty propaganda about secret century long conspiracies, do you? It’s just the Manties justifying their imperialism and trying to prevent the justifiable punishment. We all know there is no such thing.
Post by munroburton   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:44 pm

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:But they have already. In SoV, they effected a strike against one of their own when the governor called in the strike to put down a terrorist uprising. They were called out for the act, after the fact, and chastised by a Manty. It should be an easier call for them to do so to avenge treason. I'm not saying I actually think that's the case. I'm simply saying that if it is, I for one would not be surprised.

There is a loophole in the Edict which allows bombardment against insurrections by the planetary authorities. This is why the SL didn't intervene when Havenites started setting off cluster bombs and nukes in Nouveau Paris.

kzt wrote:

You don’t really believe any of that Manty propaganda about secret century long conspiracies, do you? It’s just the Manties justifying their imperialism and trying to prevent the justifiable punishment. We all know there is no such thing.

Oh right. I thought we were discussing Manticore's response to an incident on Beowulf, rather than whatever after-the-fact justifications the SL dredges up. I am clearly talking about Manticore in the second paragraph of my post which you only partially quoted. :roll:

Somebody made an implication(it may not have been in this thread, there's a lot of cross-posting going on lately) that the SL government would face Edict enforcement at the hands of the GA.

I am challenging that. I don't think the GA is going to go for Sol that hard(executing every senior SL bureaucrat and SLN flag officer), not when they know the MAlign is behind a curtain somewhere pulling strings. More likely, they will use it as the stick part of a "carrot-and-stick" strategy to dismantle the League, rather than destroying everything with fury and fire.
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Hanging the SL for these acts lets the MAlign off the hook. I just don't buy Cthia's caricature that the SL Mandarins have become so mindlessly enraged that they order the SLN to go carry out a blatant atrocity.

Textev in the snippets suggests that "Operation Buccaneer" includes just such orders in the "Parthian Option" (sp). Whether that is part of the orders for Beowulf isn't stated, but there are orders to commit blatant atrocities from "on high" in the SL/SLN.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse