Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 139 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Why didn't Manticore simply seize the DB? Preventing Tsang from ever getting the go ahead, also preventing the possibility of Beowulf pissing the SLN off with treason? IIRC, the RMN knew the purpose of the DB, they attended a rodeo or two in the past.

The decision was apparently made at Beowulf. There's textev to that effect ...
ART, Chapter 21 - page 267/268 HC-edition wrote:“Well, it just seems to me it would have been simpler all around to sit on them,” Captain Dombroski said. “I mean, they wouldn’t be going anywhere without our permission. We could’ve just kept them cooling their heels right here until it was all over one way or the other, without ever bringing the Beowulf end into it at all. Seems to me that keeping Beowulf up our sleeve as a holdout card in case we need to play it even worse later on might have a lot to recommend itself.”

“In some ways, I’m inclined to agree with you,” Grimm acknowledged. Given their positions and the role they had to play, she and Dombroski knew quite a lot about the thinking behind this part of the plan. And in Grimm’s opinion, the captain had a very valid point. But . . .

“It’d be a hard call for me, either way,” she said finally. “I’m sure it was for everyone else involved, too. In fact, even though no one’s told me this in so many words, I think it was ultimately the Beowulfers who made the decision, not anyone at our end. And I think the deciding factor was probably that they’re really and truly royally pissed off at this Mesan Alignment. There’s no way in this universe they’re going to sit on the sidelines when we go after them, and they’re about as disgusted as anyone could possibly get with the way Kolokoltsov and the Mandarins have botched the entire situation. For that matter, they’re disgusted as hell with all the rest of the League for letting itself get turned into such a bitched-up mess instead of a star nation in the first place. So this is their way of punctuating all the reasons they’re doing what they’re doing—jumping ship to sign up with us, I mean. And I think they want to draw Admiral Tsang in, get her to openly commit to her part of ‘Operation Raging Justice,’ so they’ll have that additional evidence of just how fast and loose with the League Constitution Kolokoltsov’s apparatchiks are really willing to play.”
(bold text by me)
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Why didn't Manticore simply seize the DB? Preventing Tsang from ever getting the go ahead, also preventing the possibility of Beowulf pissing the SLN off with treason? IIRC, the RMN knew the purpose of the DB, they attended a rodeo or two in the past.

Eagleeye wrote:The decision was apparently made at Beowulf. There's textev to that effect ...
ART, Chapter 21 - page 267/268 HC-edition wrote:“Well, it just seems to me it would have been simpler all around to sit on them,” Captain Dombroski said. “I mean, they wouldn’t be going anywhere without our permission. We could’ve just kept them cooling their heels right here until it was all over one way or the other, without ever bringing the Beowulf end into it at all. Seems to me that keeping Beowulf up our sleeve as a holdout card in case we need to play it even worse later on might have a lot to recommend itself.”

“In some ways, I’m inclined to agree with you,” Grimm acknowledged. Given their positions and the role they had to play, she and Dombroski knew quite a lot about the thinking behind this part of the plan. And in Grimm’s opinion, the captain had a very valid point. But . . .

“It’d be a hard call for me, either way,” she said finally. “I’m sure it was for everyone else involved, too. In fact, even though no one’s told me this in so many words, I think it was ultimately the Beowulfers who made the decision, not anyone at our end. And I think the deciding factor was probably that they’re really and truly royally pissed off at this Mesan Alignment. There’s no way in this universe they’re going to sit on the sidelines when we go after them, and they’re about as disgusted as anyone could possibly get with the way Kolokoltsov and the Mandarins have botched the entire situation. For that matter, they’re disgusted as hell with all the rest of the League for letting itself get turned into such a bitched-up mess instead of a star nation in the first place. So this is their way of punctuating all the reasons they’re doing what they’re doing—jumping ship to sign up with us, I mean. And I think they want to draw Admiral Tsang in, get her to openly commit to her part of ‘Operation Raging Justice,’ so they’ll have that additional evidence of just how fast and loose with the League Constitution Kolokoltsov’s apparatchiks are really willing to play.”
(bold text by me)

Thanks Eagleeye. I was going to post that myself but you beat me to the punch. Same thing keeps happening to the Mandarins and its gorilla. They're being beaten to the punch. LOL

It's logical that Beowulf would want all of the evidence against the Mandarins as possible, making one last political statement on the way out. But it strengthens my resolve that Beowulf knew exactly what they were getting themselves in to.

In hindsight, it should be obvious to the SLN that the Manties were aware of the ulterior motives of the DB and allowed it to play its part in setting them up.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:Gorilla writing is all over the wall...

The votes are in! Beowulf is leaving its jealous boyfriend!

" :o "

"KAMISAMA KONG!"

Yeah and warning the new BF to stay the eff out of the screaming match that is sure to follow. "Whatever comes, if anything, don't worry. I can handle it."

Oh yeah, there is definitely a bun in the oven.
ldwechsler wrote:If it were only that simple. Seems like a case of really abusive spouse.

It's obviously a case of an abusive and jealous spouse.

"I don't want you shopping at that grocer anymore. I don't like the butcher or his bill and he's obviously fond of you!" :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:The decision was apparently made at Beowulf. There's textev to that effect ...

(bold text by me)
cthia wrote:Thanks Eagleeye. I was going to post that myself but you beat me to the punch. Same thing keeps happening to the Mandarins and its gorilla. They're being beaten to the punch. LOL

It's logical that Beowulf would want all of the evidence against the Mandarins as possible, making one last political statement on the way out. But it strengthens my resolve that Beowulf knew exactly what they were getting themselves in to.

In hindsight, it should be obvious to the SLN that the Manties were aware of the ulterior motives of the DB and allowed it to play its part in setting them up.

Thing is, Beowulf sort of tipped its own hand to tip the Mandarins' hand. I really think they crossed the line a bit. Mind you, I don't fault them for wanting to bring the Mandarins' house of cards tumbling down, but they had to have looked at the entire sordid affair as a sacrifice on their own part. They are the first woman screaming abuse and are hoping to set off a "MeToo" movement.

When you're in a relationship you have obligations to that relationship. For one's own safety, one must always be aware of what the raving lunatic expects out of the relationship. If you're leaving the lunatic because he's an lunatic, you can't suddenly expect the lunatic to act as if he's not, a lunatic. And throughout the course of the relationship, you must have acquired some inkling of a clue as to the measure of his lunacy. As in loose-screw-lunatic. If he's been pounding on you constantly during the relationship, or other women he's also involved with, then it stands to reason you're highly likely to get a few bruises on the way out the door. If you're lucky. Depending on the number of loose screws, there may be some deaths.

20M of them in Beowulf's case.

I suppose "In for a penny. In for a pounding."

Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

As per the DB and the welcoming committee set up in Beowulfan space, it could be noted that Beowulf insisted on a more active role against the gorilla and decided to spite him in the eye. It is obvious Beowulf's decisions were done in spite. When you do things in spite, it might not always be right. If your safety is considered.

Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:As per the DB and the welcoming committee set up in Beowulfan space, it could be noted that Beowulf insisted on a more active role against the gorilla and decided to spite him in the eye. It is obvious Beowulf's decisions were done in spite. When you do things in spite, it might not always be right. If your safety is considered.

No, I don't really think so.

"Yes, he's a 600# gorilla, but he's, was, my 600# gorilla. He's stupid to go after my bf (yeah the one I've had on the side for years). I tried to warn him off, really I did. And while I'm not in love with the gorilla any more, I still love him. I don't want to see him get hurt any more than he's gonna get through his own arrogant stupidity."

Yes of course the gorilla is going to take this as yet another slap in the face. I'd say its always the abused spouse that is misunderstood, but that's not the case, is it, like ever. The "misunderstanding" is always a mere pretext for the violent release of anger at the wrong but oh so available target.

The Mandarins can't get mad at Beowulf for tipping Manticore off over Filareta. They have no clue exactly how the info leaked. Heck we have no idea how Beowulf found out. Obviously the gorilla whispers sweet nothings into his pillow as he sleeps. Taking them out in the star chamber is mere diversionary tactic for the necessary vote on the Declaration of War, which, now that there is one on the table from the GA, is a moot point.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:As per the DB and the welcoming committee set up in Beowulfan space, it could be noted that Beowulf insisted on a more active role against the gorilla and decided to spite him in the eye. It is obvious Beowulf's decisions were done in spite. When you do things in spite, it might not always be right. If your safety is considered.

"Yes, he's a 600# gorilla, but he's, was, my 600# gorilla. He's stupid to go after my bf (yeah the one I've had on the side for years). I tried to warn him off, really I did. And while I'm not in love with the gorilla any more, I still love him. I don't want to see him get hurt any more than he's gonna get through his own arrogant stupidity."

Yes of course the gorilla is going to take this as yet another slap in the face. I'd say its always the abused spouse that is misunderstood, but that's not the case, is it, like ever. The "misunderstanding" is always a mere pretext for the violent release of anger at the wrong but oh so available target.

The Mandarins can't get mad at Beowulf for tipping Manticore off over Filareta. They have no clue exactly how the info leaked. Heck we have no idea how Beowulf found out. Obviously the gorilla whispers sweet nothings into his pillow as he sleeps. Taking them out in the star chamber is mere diversionary tactic for the necessary vote on the Declaration of War, which, now that there is one on the table from the GA, is a moot point.

Kudos.

It's good to see someone displaying that they understand human nature.

Of course, spouses who have to endure infidelity could see red from the revelation of embarrassment and having been made a fool of. As a result, they can go temporarily insane and snap, crackle and drop a few Kews. I would imagine that in such extreme cases the spouse who has been the recipient of infidelity might claim to be the one abused. Scorned by the scorned lover "syndrome."

Abusive husbands never see that they slowly drove the sweet spouse away over time, until their hive runs dry.

Your sentiment that Beowulf still loves the League is poignant. It is the Mandarins they abhor for abusing and neglecting her and the kids. It is why failing to also formally inform the SLN carrying the many innocent kids simply following orders aboard the oncoming juggernaut that the Manties have laid out a welcoming mat is questionable. IMO.

Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:42 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

cthia wrote:Kudos.

Of course, spouses who have to endure infidelity could see red from the revelation of embarrassment and having been made a fool of. As a result, they can go temporarily insane and snap, crackle and drop a few Kews. I would imagine that in such extreme cases the spouse who has been the recipient of infidelity might claim to be the one abused. Scorned by the scorned lover "syndrome."

Abusive husbands never see that they slowly drove the sweet spouse away over time, until their hive runs dry.

Your sentiment that Beowulf still loves the League is poignant. It is the Mandarins they abhor for abusing and neglecting her and the kids. It is why failing to also formally inform the SLN carrying the many innocent kids simply following orders aboard the oncoming juggernaut that the Manties have laid out a welcoming mat is questionable. IMO.

I should note that my sentiment is derived from textev, kindly posted upstream by Eagleeye, of Beowulf's anger at the Mandarins for all of the evil things they've been doing for centuries. Yatta, yatta yatta. The straw that broke the camel's back is the fits the husband has caused Beowulf by being led astray by some new secret suitor who has her hooks in the Mandarins w/o them being aware of it.

It is interesting to note that Beowuld doesn't fail to acknowledge their own culpability of being a part of a League they helped allow to get out of hand.

Basically, Beowulf wanted to leave the League. But they didn't want to go quietly in the night by being all passive about it. Therefore, things won't be quiet in the night with the sound of Kews falling.

Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:

cthia wrote:Kudos.

I should note that my sentiment is derived from textev, kindly posted upstream by Eagleeye, of Beowulf's anger at the Mandarins for all of the evil things they've been doing for centuries. Yatta, yatta yatta. The straw that broke the camel's back is the fits the husband has caused Beowulf by being led astray by some new secret suitor who has her hooks in the Mandarins w/o them being aware of it.

It is interesting to note that Beowuld doesn't fail to acknowledge their own culpability of being a part of a League they helped allow to get out of hand.

Basically, Beowulf wanted to leave the League. But they didn't want to go quietly in the night by being all passive about it. Therefore, things won't be quiet in the night with the sound of Kews falling.[/quote]

The problem with assigning collective guilt is that the vast majority of the people now condemned had no idea what was happening and might well have disapproved.

Beowulf had often protested some of the actions of the League and got nowhere. However, it was the only game in town.

They left when the could, when there was a viable option. If you want a viable analogy, think of a person married to a brutal life-partner. If the victim has no skills and society provides no support, they are stuck.

But suddenly there is some support and they leave.

Let's be real here.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:16 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
The problem with assigning collective guilt is that the vast majority of the people now condemned had no idea what was happening and might well have disapproved.

The government of Beowulf like all the governments have shared responsibility. The citizenry have no ability (or absolute limited ability) to create change, opposition, a voice crying out in the wilderness. As far as the SLN; "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't ha ve enlisted." Not trying to be flippant. They're in a bad position not of their making with no good way out, doing their jobs to the best of their ability in the face of the avalanche.

Beowulf had often protested some of the actions of the League and got nowhere. However, it was the only game in town.

They left when the could, when there was a viable option. If you want a viable analogy, think of a person married to a brutal life-partner. If the victim has no skills and society provides no support, they are stuck.

But suddenly there is some support and they leave.

Let's be real here.

They could have left at any time. Its not like they were an uneducated housewife with 5 children from 6-1. More like a Medical Professional (specialty: genetics) who stayed in a relationship too long because it was comfortable. Then when it became obvious that it was a relationship devoid of love, and the spouse suddenly made it quite clear that there wasn't even mutual respect, it rapidly devolved into this fur ball.

Then the spouse turned abusive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse