Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 120 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by pappilon   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Gorilla writing is all over the wall...

The votes are in! Beowulf is leaving its jealous boyfriend!

" :o "

"KAMISAMA KONG!"

Yeah and warning the new BF to stay the eff out of the screaming match that is sure to follow. "Whatever comes, if anything, don't worry. I can handle it."

Oh yeah, there is definitely a bun in the oven.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:57 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:

"KAMISAMA KONG!"

Yeah and warning the new BF to stay the eff out of the screaming match that is sure to follow. "Whatever comes, if anything, don't worry. I can handle it."

If it were only that simple. Seems like a case of really abusive spouse.
Post by schoeffelk   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 pm

schoeffelk
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Beowulf has seen what was intended to happen with Manticore. Unless they are as blind as the Mandarins, which they aren't, they know what is coming their way. Maybe not when. Maybe not how strong. But they know its coming.

Manticore also knows if Beowulf is hurt, a manufacturing center that is helping their recovery will be hurt or destroyed. I would imagine that Manticore is doing everything it can to have Beowulf bolster their defenses before this gorilla returns.

No offense to the real gorillas.
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:...who's to say it wouldn't have worked? ...

Sandra Crandall? Adm Byng?

Oooops, they're both dead. How about the survivors from their commands?

Just about anyone who traveled through the Beowulf terminus -- like maybe the dispatch boat that sat around the Manticore end of the WHJ before bringing word of Adm Filareta's arrival?

Well, if that were so, the DB would have been screaming at Tsang to abort, seeing what it saw. But it didn't.

Why didn't Manticore simply seize the DB? Preventing Tsang from ever getting the go ahead, also preventing the possibility of Beowulf pissing the SLN off with treason? IIRC, the RMN knew the purpose of the DB, they attended a rodeo or two in the past.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

"KAMISAMA KONG!"

LOL

An illegitimate bun.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Why didn't Manticore simply seize the DB? Preventing Tsang from ever getting the go ahead, also preventing the possibility of Beowulf pissing the SLN off with treason? IIRC, the RMN knew the purpose of the DB, they attended a rodeo or two in the past.

The decision was apparently made at Beowulf. There's textev to that effect ...
ART, Chapter 21 - page 267/268 HC-edition wrote:“Well, it just seems to me it would have been simpler all around to sit on them,” Captain Dombroski said. “I mean, they wouldn’t be going anywhere without our permission. We could’ve just kept them cooling their heels right here until it was all over one way or the other, without ever bringing the Beowulf end into it at all. Seems to me that keeping Beowulf up our sleeve as a holdout card in case we need to play it even worse later on might have a lot to recommend itself.”

“In some ways, I’m inclined to agree with you,” Grimm acknowledged. Given their positions and the role they had to play, she and Dombroski knew quite a lot about the thinking behind this part of the plan. And in Grimm’s opinion, the captain had a very valid point. But . . .

“It’d be a hard call for me, either way,” she said finally. “I’m sure it was for everyone else involved, too. In fact, even though no one’s told me this in so many words, I think it was ultimately the Beowulfers who made the decision, not anyone at our end. And I think the deciding factor was probably that they’re really and truly royally pissed off at this Mesan Alignment. There’s no way in this universe they’re going to sit on the sidelines when we go after them, and they’re about as disgusted as anyone could possibly get with the way Kolokoltsov and the Mandarins have botched the entire situation. For that matter, they’re disgusted as hell with all the rest of the League for letting itself get turned into such a bitched-up mess instead of a star nation in the first place. So this is their way of punctuating all the reasons they’re doing what they’re doing—jumping ship to sign up with us, I mean. And I think they want to draw Admiral Tsang in, get her to openly commit to her part of ‘Operation Raging Justice,’ so they’ll have that additional evidence of just how fast and loose with the League Constitution Kolokoltsov’s apparatchiks are really willing to play.”
(bold text by me)
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Eagleeye wrote:The decision was apparently made at Beowulf. There's textev to that effect ...
ART, Chapter 21 - page 267/268 HC-edition wrote:“Well, it just seems to me it would have been simpler all around to sit on them,” Captain Dombroski said. “I mean, they wouldn’t be going anywhere without our permission. We could’ve just kept them cooling their heels right here until it was all over one way or the other, without ever bringing the Beowulf end into it at all. Seems to me that keeping Beowulf up our sleeve as a holdout card in case we need to play it even worse later on might have a lot to recommend itself.”

“In some ways, I’m inclined to agree with you,” Grimm acknowledged. Given their positions and the role they had to play, she and Dombroski knew quite a lot about the thinking behind this part of the plan. And in Grimm’s opinion, the captain had a very valid point. But . . .

“It’d be a hard call for me, either way,” she said finally. “I’m sure it was for everyone else involved, too. In fact, even though no one’s told me this in so many words, I think it was ultimately the Beowulfers who made the decision, not anyone at our end. And I think the deciding factor was probably that they’re really and truly royally pissed off at this Mesan Alignment. There’s no way in this universe they’re going to sit on the sidelines when we go after them, and they’re about as disgusted as anyone could possibly get with the way Kolokoltsov and the Mandarins have botched the entire situation. For that matter, they’re disgusted as hell with all the rest of the League for letting itself get turned into such a bitched-up mess instead of a star nation in the first place. So this is their way of punctuating all the reasons they’re doing what they’re doing—jumping ship to sign up with us, I mean. And I think they want to draw Admiral Tsang in, get her to openly commit to her part of ‘Operation Raging Justice,’ so they’ll have that additional evidence of just how fast and loose with the League Constitution Kolokoltsov’s apparatchiks are really willing to play.”
(bold text by me)

Thanks Eagleeye. I was going to post that myself but you beat me to the punch. Same thing keeps happening to the Mandarins and its gorilla. They're being beaten to the punch. LOL

It's logical that Beowulf would want all of the evidence against the Mandarins as possible, making one last political statement on the way out. But it strengthens my resolve that Beowulf knew exactly what they were getting themselves in to.

In hindsight, it should be obvious to the SLN that the Manties were aware of the ulterior motives of the DB and allowed it to play its part in setting them up.

Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:

"KAMISAMA KONG!"

ldwechsler wrote:If it were only that simple. Seems like a case of really abusive spouse.

It's obviously a case of an abusive and jealous spouse.

"I don't want you shopping at that grocer anymore. I don't like the butcher or his bill and he's obviously fond of you!" :lol:

Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:The decision was apparently made at Beowulf. There's textev to that effect ...

(bold text by me)
cthia wrote:Thanks Eagleeye. I was going to post that myself but you beat me to the punch. Same thing keeps happening to the Mandarins and its gorilla. They're being beaten to the punch. LOL

It's logical that Beowulf would want all of the evidence against the Mandarins as possible, making one last political statement on the way out. But it strengthens my resolve that Beowulf knew exactly what they were getting themselves in to.

In hindsight, it should be obvious to the SLN that the Manties were aware of the ulterior motives of the DB and allowed it to play its part in setting them up.

Thing is, Beowulf sort of tipped its own hand to tip the Mandarins' hand. I really think they crossed the line a bit. Mind you, I don't fault them for wanting to bring the Mandarins' house of cards tumbling down, but they had to have looked at the entire sordid affair as a sacrifice on their own part. They are the first woman screaming abuse and are hoping to set off a "MeToo" movement.

When you're in a relationship you have obligations to that relationship. For one's own safety, one must always be aware of what the raving lunatic expects out of the relationship. If you're leaving the lunatic because he's an lunatic, you can't suddenly expect the lunatic to act as if he's not, a lunatic. And throughout the course of the relationship, you must have acquired some inkling of a clue as to the measure of his lunacy. As in loose-screw-lunatic. If he's been pounding on you constantly during the relationship, or other women he's also involved with, then it stands to reason you're highly likely to get a few bruises on the way out the door. If you're lucky. Depending on the number of loose screws, there may be some deaths.

20M of them in Beowulf's case.

I suppose "In for a penny. In for a pounding."

Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

As per the DB and the welcoming committee set up in Beowulfan space, it could be noted that Beowulf insisted on a more active role against the gorilla and decided to spite him in the eye. It is obvious Beowulf's decisions were done in spite. When you do things in spite, it might not always be right. If your safety is considered.

Return to Honorverse