Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 108 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by pappilon   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:34 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

[quote="runsforcelery"]

Member systems of the Solarian League are under no requirement to share their tech with the SLN. They very often do, but they are not required to for two reasons.

Which would also apply to systems like ...Mannerheim.

So, where does The MAya Sector fit into all of this? Is Barregos required to share his Erewhonese acquired tech with FF/BF? I'm thinking yes, so shouldn't the finger of treason be more fairly pointed there? At least if the Mandarins discover it much before Operation Sepoy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by runsforcelery   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:03 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

pappilon wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Member systems of the Solarian League are under no requirement to share their tech with the SLN. They very often do, but they are not required to for two reasons.

Which would also apply to systems like ...Mannerheim.

So, where does The MAya Sector fit into all of this? Is Barregos required to share his Erewhonese acquired tech with FF/BF? I'm thinking yes, so shouldn't the finger of treason be more fairly pointed there? At least if the Mandarins discover it much before Operation Sepoy.

Maya is, indeed, a different case. But in more than one way. The people of Maya are not technically Solarian citizens and are under no personal obligation to the federal government or the Constitution. They have accepted an OFS governor to "manage" certain aspects of their governance for them in return for fees collected by OFS (which are not "taxes"). As such, it is technically impossible for any citizen of the Maya Sector (unless he is an ex-pat Solly living there) can be guilty of treason against the Solarian League.

Barregos and his merry band, however, are Solly citizens and they have been sent out with a specific mandate under OFS. Moreover, Rozak is a serving officer of the SLN, not one of the system defense forces. As such, both of them are obligated to share both intelligence and tech with the League. And, as such, both of them have been guilty of conspiracy to commit treason for years. They haven't actually committed it until they declare their independence, but all that "conspiracy" bit becomes equally treasonous the moment they put it into effect.

So, yeah, they're traitors. So was Patrick Henry, and I think their sentiments will be much the same as his were. :evil: For so many reasons!

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In Beowulf's case, however, what this means is that unless Beowulf actually initiates combat against the Solarian League or provides the weapons used by someone initiating combat against the Solarian League, it is not guilty of treason under the League's own law. Needless to say, the Mandarins aren't real likely to go very far out of their way to explain this counterintuitive aspect of their own legal code to their citizens.

Beowulf is providing weapons to be used by* someone initiating combat against the SL. But you've got "initiating" in italics. So I'm assuming that you mean it in the sense as "someone who originally started the conflict?"

As in "He started it." Like something little kids would say on the playground?

Wouldn't that simply be akin to splitting hairs to an arrogant gorilla who ignores his own [C c]onstitution, let alone Beowulf's?

And, internally, won't the Mandarins naturally ignore Beowulf's "right" to withhold tech? Won't they personally see it as an affront, anyway? Especially under the circumstances?

I just can't see the Mandarins giving aratsass about Beowulf's rights or "the letter of the law" in the overall scheme of things while facing extinction.

But then... I haven't read the book.

*Edit: against to by

Last edited by cthia on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
In Beowulf's case, however, what this means is that unless Beowulf actually initiates combat against the Solarian League or provides the weapons used by someone initiating combat against the Solarian League, it is not guilty of treason under the League's own law. Needless to say, the Mandarins aren't real likely to go very far out of their way to explain this counterintuitive aspect of their own legal code to their citizens.

Beowulf is providing weapons to be used against someone initiating combat against the SL. But you've got "initiating" in italics. So I'm assuming that you mean it in the sense as "someone who originally started the conflict?"

As in "He started it." Like something little kids would say on the playground?

Wouldn't that simply be akin to splitting hairs to an arrogant gorilla who ignores his own [C c]onstitution, let alone Beowulf's?

And, internally, won't the Mandarins naturally ignore Beowulf's "right" to withhold tech? Won't they personally see it as an affront, anyway? Especially under the circumstances?

I just can't see the Mandarins giving aratsass about Beowulf's rights or "the letter of the law" in the overall scheme of things while facing extinction.

But then... I haven't read the book.

I got a question. Rozak is SLN FF. Erewhon is supplying ships. Where is Rozak getting loyal-to-Barregos/Rozak crews for this new construction? There's on-the-books ships, then there's off-the-books ships too, aren't there.

Then off to Chtia's point. Yes. The Mandarins are free citizens of The League. They have the right to think and do whatever they want. Yes Beowulf is a traitor, yes so are any other league world that declares independence from the league. Maybe (for the Mandarins) Barregos and Rozak are, maybe not, depending on the weather in Old Chicago and how well the Cubbies are doing. Or the White Sox if you're a hater. :roll:

Everything they do is strictly arbitrary and capricious, so no behavior is really off the table, is it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:44 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

pappilon wrote:
I got a question. Rozak is SLN FF. Erewhon is supplying ships. Where is Rozak getting loyal-to-Barregos/Rozak crews for this new construction? There's on-the-books ships, then there's off-the-books ships too, aren't there.

Then off to Chtia's point. Yes. The Mandarins are free citizens of The League. They have the right to think and do whatever they want. Yes Beowulf is a traitor, yes so are any other league world that declares independence from the league. Maybe (for the Mandarins) Barregos and Rozak are, maybe not, depending on the weather in Old Chicago and how well the Cubbies are doing. Or the White Sox if you're a hater. :roll:

Everything they do is strictly arbitrary and capricious, so no behavior is really off the table, is it.

I believe there is textev of Roszak manipulating manpower to make sure around 90% of crews are local folks from and loyal to the Maya sector.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:48 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

SPOILER WARNING

George J. Smith wrote:
pappilon wrote:

I believe there is textev of Roszak manipulating manpower to make sure around 90% of crews are local folks from and loyal to the Maya sector.

To some degree, that is answered in the new book. There is really no major hassle. The League is so busy that there are no direct conflicts.

And then the League more or less ends.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:27 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

So nothing has changed in Chicago. :twisted:

Haven't gotten the eARC but now I'm hoping something BAD happens to Old Chicago. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

runsforcelery wrote:I am shocked, shocked, to discover that there is hypocrisy in Old Chicago!
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Duckk says: Spoilers. Highlight to reveal.

Come on. You know it's coming, all ye naysayers of treason! And complicity by conduct unbecoming.

Oh my! I can't believe, I just can't accept, it just can't be true, just 'taint so that SL officers would hold a seceding government to a charge of treason. Not with all of the strife I was given in this thread that the Mandarins and the League's officers - the ones that mattered in the war - would charge Beowulf with treason, and complicit in all areas as treason would ensure.

This surely must be a misprint by storyline. I have, and never will have, no problem with the human element of. . .humans.

It was ridiculous! Even assuming someone — anyone! — could accurately target anything at almost three and a half light-minutes, sixty million kilometers was twice any range at which even the Manties had ever attempted an engagement without one hell of a lot of closing velocity. Assuming those incoming missiles were somehow able to maintain acceleration all the way in, it would still take them almost nine minutes to reach his ships. But they couldn’t. No missile impeller node ever built could sustain that kind of accel that long, and unlike the multistage Cataphract, no Manty missile had ever demonstrated the ability to incorporate a pure ballistic phase into its attack profile. So was this some sort of insane bluff? Were the murderous bastards trying to divert him from his core mission to teach the Hypatians and the rest of the galaxy the price of treason?

I simply won't say. . .

TOLD U SO TOLD U SO TOLD U SO!

I simply won't say it.

I just can't believe that it isn't, that it wasn't, obvious. Again, I wasn't speaking on cthia's behalf, but on behalf of the human element represented by the Mandarins and the officers in their charge. Many of whom are as intransigent in committing grievances against the Deneb Accords as they who are responsible for their mission. Because the spirit of the Deneb Accords was not meant to protect treasonous vipers against the HGIC - Head Gorilla In Charge.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:53 am

TFLYTSNBN

Duckk says: Spoilers. Highlight to reveal.

The SLN certainly would have charged the leaders of Beuwulf, Hypatia and a lot of other systems with treason if Harrington had not reamed the Sol system a new orifice to impose a new Consitution. But that does not make them morally or legally correct.

Keep in mind that the SL was historically a very loose association more analogouse to the League of Nations and The United Nations than to the United States prior to the American Civil War. There was no provision in the US Constitution that either enabled or prohibited secession. The historic context of the Declaration of Independance encouraged the southern slave states to believe that secession was legal. There were a lot of legal scholars, including people in the Northern states who did not own slaves, who agreed with them.

The issue of slavery provided the moral pretext to wage war on the secceeding states. However; it could bebargued that the real issue was that duties on the exports of cotton and tobacco from Southern slave states provided the duties on exports that funded the Federal Government. The foreign exchange generated by exports of cotton and tobacco also funded infrastructure construction in the Northern States that enabled industrialization.

The Solarian League military and bureaucracy sufferred from severe constraints on funding including the prohibition on direct taxation of SL member systems. As Weber goes to great lengths to explain in many books, the protectorats administered by OFS who could and were subjected to onerous taxation had become the cash cattle that funded the SLN and and the bureaucracy. If uppity systems such as Hypatia and Beawulf were permitted to secceed from the SL, then that would set a historic and legal precedent that the Protectorate systems could also declare their independance from the SL to be liberated from onerous taxation and tyranny. We couldnt have that now could we.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

this is supposed to be a non-spolier thread.

Citha has picked up much but before his vanishing act for his hols he had not read the e-arc.

I know it easy to forget but please check if a thread is spoiler or non spoiler before you post even if you think the spoiler is not big.

Return to Honorverse