Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dauntless and 21 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:
Kudos.

Hence, the "Me Too" movement trending now. And the "Me Too" movement I posted about upstream that Beowulf and the Harrington Plan hopes to foster.

Roguevictory wrote: Ugh the me too movement. Otherwise known as the guilty until proven innocent movement which is the opposite of every idea of justice I hold dear. What would such a thing have to do with the Honorverse?
Bolding mine and mine alone

pappilon wrote:Where to start?! Seriously?(1) Office of Frontier Security. All those "scrupulously fair and honest (we swear") plebescites. (2) The Gendarmerie playing hammer to any nails stupid enough to protest the tender mercies of their transtellar corporate overlords. (Frontier fleet ready to drop KEWs on the heads of any nails smart enough to avoid the hammer of the Gendarmerie. (4) Yeah the transtellars: raping and pillaging entire star systems. Yes with the legal permission from the bullies FF the Gendarmerie, OFS, The Mandarins.

What recourse do they have besides being pounded into submission? Merely crying out into the wilderness. So some demogogue feeds them a line of BS offering them false promises of support by our superhero Underdog. Underdog finds out and without benefit of trials, merely vigilante justice the superhero's sidekick, one Aivars Terekhov kicks sand in the bully's face and the entire universe explodes in anger.

cthia wrote:THANK YOU! I seriously didn't know where to start.

I only wish to add that the Harrington Plan is all about engendering the MeToo feeling all along the existing fracture lines. Beowulf is to be the first of many, remember? Or that 20M sacrifice will be all for naught.

I think somewhere in the 30s or 40s Katherine Hepburn exposed Louis B Mayer's casting couch and made it public. Just like OFS and their condoning of the raping and pillaging of the verge planets, it is common knowlege that certain studio executives, current US presidents, et al rape their way through their lives.

Now the silently complicit are geting their noses rubbed in it and al they are doing is what should never have been condoned in the first place. If people are losing their jobs for "alleged behavior" in the workplace, it is not the fault of #MeToo. dO not blame the "alleged" victims here.

The problem itself is not so much rank as asymmetrical power.
Ian McKellan, the actor who once ran Royal Shakespeare Theater in England, said that a lot of actresses enclosed photos and resumes with the letters "DRR" at the bottom. That mean "director's rights respected." They would sleep with the director.

When an actress agrees to have sex because she wants a part, it's not really rape but more of a business deal with the producer, etc. having all the power. The actress (and remember it could also be the actor) winds up doing things not wanted in order to get a part that could make them a fortune.

I remember reading that Jennifer Lawrence at the start of her career wound up being photographed wearing only a tiny bit of plastic in front of her genitals. And she was one of a group of women. But she got the part and made millions of dollars since.

The strong power of the top brass here comes from the way they can change someone's life. If I, when I was a school administrator, lined up a group of women who wanted to be guidance counselors and asked them to undress (actually just lining them up and comparing them dressed would do it) would basically end my career.

When the chances of being a movie star are in the mix, all bets are off.
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:
Kudos.

Hence, the "Me Too" movement trending now. And the "Me Too" movement I posted about upstream that Beowulf and the Harrington Plan hopes to foster.

Roguevictory wrote: Ugh the me too movement. Otherwise known as the guilty until proven innocent movement which is the opposite of every idea of justice I hold dear. What would such a thing have to do with the Honorverse?
Bolding mine and mine alone

pappilon wrote:Where to start?! Seriously?(1) Office of Frontier Security. All those "scrupulously fair and honest (we swear") plebescites. (2) The Gendarmerie playing hammer to any nails stupid enough to protest the tender mercies of their transtellar corporate overlords. (Frontier fleet ready to drop KEWs on the heads of any nails smart enough to avoid the hammer of the Gendarmerie. (4) Yeah the transtellars: raping and pillaging entire star systems. Yes with the legal permission from the bullies FF the Gendarmerie, OFS, The Mandarins.

What recourse do they have besides being pounded into submission? Merely crying out into the wilderness. So some demogogue feeds them a line of BS offering them false promises of support by our superhero Underdog. Underdog finds out and without benefit of trials, merely vigilante justice the superhero's sidekick, one Aivars Terekhov kicks sand in the bully's face and the entire universe explodes in anger.

cthia wrote:THANK YOU! I seriously didn't know where to start.

I only wish to add that the Harrington Plan is all about engendering the MeToo feeling all along the existing fracture lines. Beowulf is to be the first of many, remember? Or that 20M sacrifice will be all for naught.

I think somewhere in the 30s or 40s Katherine Hepburn exposed Louis B Mayer's casting couch and made it public. Just like OFS and their condoning of the raping and pillaging of the verge planets, it is common knowlege that certain studio executives, current US presidents, et al rape their way through their lives.

Now the silently complicit are geting their noses rubbed in it and al they are doing is what should never have been condoned in the first place. If people are losing their jobs for "alleged behavior" in the workplace, it is not the fault of #MeToo. dO not blame the "alleged" victims here.
ldwechsler wrote:The problem itself is not so much rank as asymmetrical power.
Ian McKellan, the actor who once ran Royal Shakespeare Theater in England, said that a lot of actresses enclosed photos and resumes with the letters "DRR" at the bottom. That mean "director's rights respected." They would sleep with the director.

When an actress agrees to have sex because she wants a part, it's not really rape but more of a business deal with the producer, etc. having all the power. The actress (and remember it could also be the actor) winds up doing things not wanted in order to get a part that could make them a fortune.

I remember reading that Jennifer Lawrence at the start of her career wound up being photographed wearing only a tiny bit of plastic in front of her genitals. And she was one of a group of women. But she got the part and made millions of dollars since.

The strong power of the top brass here comes from the way they can change someone's life. If I, when I was a school administrator, lined up a group of women who wanted to be guidance counselors and asked them to undress (actually just lining them up and comparing them dressed would do it) would basically end my career.

When the chances of being a movie star are in the mix, all bets are off.

Response.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Human nature is one rotten son of a bitch.

Due to n7axw getting me to see the inaccuracy of this statement, I shall repair it properly.

Human nature can be one rotten son of a bitch.

Thanks Don.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:Human nature is one rotten son of a bitch.

Due to n7axw getting me to see the inaccuracy of this statement, I shall repair it properly.

Human nature can be one rotten son of a bitch.

Thanks Don.

Human nature is not inherently rotten, but do we all have our purchase price and tipping point just like the Mandarins?

Post by Theemile   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Human nature is not inherently rotten, but do we all have our purchase price and tipping point just like the Mandarins?

We all have our own point of view, limited by our experiences, needs, desires, and horizons.

And some of us have much further horizons than others.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:54 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:

We all have our own point of view, limited by our experiences, needs, desires, and horizons.

And some of us see things that are not there.
Post by pappilon   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

]
Theemile wrote:We all have our own point of view, limited by our experiences, needs, desires, and horizons.

ldwechsler wrote: And some of us see things that are not there.

Wha' chew talkin' bout, Willis? :lol:

And some of us grab the biggest spoon we can find and stir the poop stew.
Last edited by pappilon on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Some of our horizons are nonexistent, failing to venture out of our own back yards. As a result, some of us fail to see things that are there.

Alas, several of you finally seem to grasp the human element. Or are at least beginning to become privy to it. I'll consider that a windfall even though I had to begin talking in the third person while soliciting your own relationships to make it happen. Where there's a will there's a way. Do keep hope alive.

Always remember the human element. And that it must always be applied across the board.

We can never dissever the soul from human nature.

Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

cthia wrote:Some of our horizons are nonexistent, failing to venture out of our own back yards. As a result, some of us fail to see things that are there.

Alas, several of you finally seem to grasp the human element. Or are at least beginning to become privy to it. I'll consider that a windfall even though I had to begin talking in the third person while soliciting your own relationships to make it happen. Where there's a will there's a way. Do keep hope alive.

Always remember the human element. And that it must always be applied across the board.

As Honor reminded her staff towards the end of Stalking Horse
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
cthia wrote:Some of our horizons are nonexistent, failing to venture out of our own back yards. As a result, some of us fail to see things that are there.

As Honor reminded her staff towards the end of Stalking Horse

What a nice reminder of Flag In Exile. One of my most favorite and, pound for pound/page for page, tearful reads.

Thanks George.

Return to Honorverse