Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 157 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
cthia wrote:There are international laws governing and protecting the grounds of US Embassies. I would imagine similar intergalactic laws exist in the Honorverse and the Manticoran delegation and Beowulf are counting on the SL honoring and respecting said laws at the moment.

At any rate, the Beowulfan Embassy grounds are "hallowed," within diplomatic immunity. Not that the Mandarins will respect it.

To the Mandarins, more like "hollowed" grounds.

IIRC, the League has never ratified the diplomatic conventions. So the status of Manticore's embassy would be a gray area. It might be different for Beowulf as a League member.

Don

-

'Tis my take on it as well. It is why I mentioned that I suppose the Beowulfan Embassy grounds are hallowed, having diplomatic immunity. I think that's why Carmichael high-tailed it over there for somewhat better protection. ISTR textev upholding the Beowulfan Embassy's protective status, but there was uncertainty whether current incidents would allow it to remain so. IOW, traitors (in the eyes of the Mandarins) are not immune.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One thing seems unlikely. If Manticore had an embassy on Old Earth the same as Beowulf, and the details about Operation Raging Justice was broadcast all over HD before it even kicked off, then why would Manticore need a black back communications channel from Beowulf? If it was all over HD, then Manticore's own embassy was privy.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:12 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:One thing seems unlikely. If Manticore had an embassy on Old Earth the same as Beowulf, and the details about Operation Raging Justice was broadcast all over HD before it even kicked off, then why would Manticore need a black back communications channel from Beowulf? If it was all over HD, then Manticore's own embassy was privy.

Manticore knew weeks before it was public knowledge. IIRC, Carmikel (sp) originally learned about it from Manticore, not Old Chicago.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:17 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:
cthia wrote:One thing seems unlikely. If Manticore had an embassy on Old Earth the same as Beowulf, and the details about Operation Raging Justice was broadcast all over HD before it even kicked off, then why would Manticore need a black back communications channel from Beowulf? If it was all over HD, then Manticore's own embassy was privy.

Manticore knew weeks before it was public knowledge. IIRC, Carmikel (sp) originally learned about it from Manticore, not Old Chicago.

Don

-

We probably will never know although you are probably right. Of course, Carmichael might have been the conduit through which the message came. After all, he was close to the people from Beowulf.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:Manticore knew weeks before it was public knowledge. IIRC, Carmikel (sp) originally learned about it from Manticore, not Old Chicago.

Don

-

ldwechsler wrote:We probably will never know although you are probably right. Of course, Carmichael might have been the conduit through which the message came. After all, he was close to the people from Beowulf.

I would put the leak to the Solly press at the feet of Carmichael. trading anonymity on the tip for all the diplomatic (and lack thereof) communications between The Mandarins and Manticore.

The original leak to Beowulf had to come from inside the Navy. I'd lay the leak at Al-Fanudahi's feet, or maybe Irene Teague's. There is little concern for "operational security" in the cafeteria. just the right person whose second cousin three times removed on his step father's mother's side happens to be Beowulfan ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

UH wrote:Capriotti considered the younger man thoughtfully. Schlegel was TF 783’s intelligence officer. He was also an extremely bright officer and, at only fifty-six T-years old, young for his rank, even in the gold braid-heavy SLN. Unlike altogether too many of his ilk, he brought a skeptic’s eye to any intelligence report that crossed his desk, and Capriotti normally valued his input. He did in this case, as well, actually, but he also remembered that Schlegel considered Beowulf guilty of treason. The commodore fully accepted the argument that Imogene Tsang’s prong of Eleventh Fleet’s disastrous attack would have suffered an even worse slaughter than Massimo Filareta if Beowulf hadn’t stopped her ships from transiting the Beowulf Terminus. However, he also believed — probably with reason, in Capriotti’s opinion — that Beowulf was the source of Manticore’s original intelligence about Operation Raging Justice. And he also believed Beowulf’s “complicity” in Manticore’s obvious swing to a rawly imperialist foreign policy and its evident intention of seceding posed an existential threat to the Solarian League.
The bold is mine and not the author's.

I hate to say I told you so, but in the spirit of the thread, if the slipper fits then it must be Cinderella. This is TF 783's intelligence officer, keeping tune with my sentiment that not simply the Mandarins will be willing to believe that Beowulf's actions were treasonous. Again, I wasn't so much arguing my POV, but how it will certainly be perceived by many in the League.

Post by pappilon   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:00 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:I hate to say I told you so, but in the spirit of the thread, if the slipper fits then it must be Cinderella. This is TF 783's intelligence officer, keeping tune with my sentiment that not simply the Mandarins will be willing to believe that Beowulf's actions were treasonous. Again, I wasn't so much arguing my POV, but how it will certainly be perceived by many in the League.

Yes of course the league has its own agenda. So much that would be conflict of interest, or treason or any number of other crimes on some other planetjust don't seem to be relevant on Old Earth. Hypocrisy apparently is no longer a bad thing either.
Again what's the point? Oh yeah, when you're outflanked, out maneuvered, mousetrapped and outgunned, fire DSMs at some innocent 70 odd LYs away planet's civilian targets from beyond the hyper limit and blame Beowulf's treason for making you do it.

You are certainly right. I bow to your prescience.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:I hate to say I told you so, but in the spirit of the thread, if the slipper fits then it must be Cinderella. This is TF 783's intelligence officer, keeping tune with my sentiment that not simply the Mandarins will be willing to believe that Beowulf's actions were treasonous. Again, I wasn't so much arguing my POV, but how it will certainly be perceived by many in the League.

Yes of course the league has its own agenda. So much that would be conflict of interest, or treason or any number of other crimes on some other planetjust don't seem to be relevant on Old Earth. Hypocrisy apparently is no longer a bad thing either.
Again what's the point? Oh yeah, when you're outflanked, out maneuvered, mousetrapped and outgunned, fire DSMs at some innocent 70 odd LYs away planet's civilian targets from beyond the hyper limit and blame Beowulf's treason for making you do it.

Kong has never been accused of being inconsistent or willing to play by the rules.

Post by pappilon   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:12 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
Kong has never been accused of being inconsistent or willing to play by the rules.

Oh, no argument. Just the last previous textev we had wan Kolkotlov saying, "lets not go down the treason path ... just yet."
I guess it is now yet.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:01 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:

Of course some other people believe the Mandarins. They control a lot of the message. If people only get one side of the story they will react predictably.

I have heard pathetic defenses from supporters of both political parties in the US for assorted poor behavior. But those who control the message get their points across best.

Note that 60 minutes spent a lot of time on a stripper who might have had an affair with Trump but ignored Juanita Broderick who has claims for well over a quarter of a century that she was raped by Bill Clinton.

I have no idea what the truth is in either situation although rape is far more serious than an affair. But the media has only focused on one.

Return to Honorverse