Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I should also state that regardless of what UH holds, it will not change my mind that Beowulf has ordered up a big fat bowl of bad karma. Regardless of whether it was actually delivered in UH. Regardless of what happened in UH, Beowulf has it coming. That's what the Harrington Doctrine was trying to avoid. The Harrington Doctrine details the dangers of karma slowly festering and growing big and nasty and ready enough to stomp a mud hole in some targeted upturned asses. IOW, Beowulf's karma may be decades delayed.

The Harrington Doctrine is simply a political brief on karma.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:50 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

You are free to believe that; there is nothing more to say.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:49 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:You are free to believe that; there is nothing more to say.

There was no betrayal by Beowulf. The betrayal was by the Mandarins. This is typical of the basic struggle of the elites versus the people.

The elites never care much about the people. The League is more like the EU than the UN. Bureaucrats really run a lot of things and do what they want. Naval people get killed and the only thing worried about is winning the public relations.
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:21 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:

There was no betrayal by Beowulf. The betrayal was by the Mandarins. This is typical of the basic struggle of the elites versus the people.

The elites never care much about the people. The League is more like the EU than the UN. Bureaucrats really run a lot of things and do what they want. Naval people get killed and the only thing worried about is winning the public relations.

There was no undisputed legal betrayal, but there certainly was a personal betrayal. It was an intimate, passionate personal betrayal, which are oftentimes and in many ways the most deadly.

If a woman dumps her lover and she is discovered to have been assisting and sleeping with the man's worst enemy all along—as Beowulf was discovered, indeed as Beowulf openly flaunted—dumping an abusive lover and sleeping with his enemy is no crime. But the effect is akin to removing all of the control rods from the nuclear reactor that is always raging at the heart of the arrogant abusive gorilla. It is legally wrong for the gorilla to kill. It is wrong for an impugned worker to enter his place of employment and kill people, but dead right or dead wrong, those workers are sadly still dead.

Although sleeping with a lover's enemy is no actual crime, psychologically it could be considered a crime against nature. There is at least one existing crime against nature that can be found on the books. Albeit, an abusive, scorned, arrogant lover won't give a-rats-ass whether it is on the books or not.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

There was no undisputed legal betrayal, but there certainly was a personal betrayal. It was an intimate, passionate personal betrayal, which are oftentimes and in many ways the most deadly.

If a woman dumps her lover and she is discovered to have been assisting and sleeping with the man's worst enemy all along—as Beowulf was discovered, indeed as Beowulf openly flaunted—dumping an abusive lover and sleeping with his enemy is no crime. But the effect is akin to removing all of the control rods from the nuclear reactor that is always raging at the heart of the arrogant abusive gorilla. It is legally wrong for the gorilla to kill. It is wrong for an impugned worker to enter his place of employment and kill people, but dead right or dead wrong, those workers are sadly still dead.

Although sleeping with a lover's enemy is no actual crime, psychologically it could be considered a crime against nature. There is at least one existing crime against nature that can be found on the books. Albeit, an abusive, scorned, arrogant lover won't give a-rats-ass whether it is on the books or not.[/quote]

What a horrible pseudo-example!

Beowulf didn't just cheat on the League. The League had been cheating on Beowulf for hundreds of years. It's more like a wife finds out her husband not only is cheating on her and has for a really long time but actually owns a brothel!

The Mandarins were constantly violating the League constitution. This reminds me of the "Holy Oath to Adolph Hitler" taken by top Nazis and German leaders. Many of them felt obliged to follow that even when it led to genocide and some refused to deal with the terms of surrender even after Hitler was dead.

In the US and also some other nations, soldiers pledge to obey LEGAL orders. The President, for example, could not send troops into New York with orders to kill everyone in sight.

If the United Nations decided it wanted to kill a country (there are those working to delegitimize Israel now) and ordered the US to send troops, would be betraying who we are as a nation by refusing to partake in genocide?

The whole process in the League has been bastardized for a very long time. In most ways it does not affect MEMBER planets. But it has caused misery for many billions of people.

Further, holding back that fleet not only saved thousands of sailors but had no real outcome on the battle.
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

cthia wrote:There was no undisputed legal betrayal, but there certainly was a personal betrayal. It was an intimate, passionate personal betrayal, which are oftentimes and in many ways the most deadly.

Although sleeping with a lover's enemy is no actual crime, psychologically it could be considered a crime against nature. There is at least one existing crime against nature that can be found on the books. Albeit, an abusive, scorned, arrogant lover won't give a-rats-ass whether it is on the books or not.

ldwechsler wrote:What a horrible pseudo-example!

Beowulf didn't just cheat on the League. The League had been cheating on Beowulf for hundreds of years. It's more like a wife finds out her husband not only is cheating on her and has for a really long time but actually owns a brothel!

The Mandarins were constantly violating the League constitution. This reminds me of the "Holy Oath to Adolph Hitler" taken by top Nazis and German leaders. Many of them felt obliged to follow that even when it led to genocide and some refused to deal with the terms of surrender even after Hitler was dead.

In the US and also some other nations, soldiers pledge to obey LEGAL orders. The President, for example, could not send troops into New York with orders to kill everyone in sight.

If the United Nations decided it wanted to kill a country (there are those working to delegitimize Israel now) and ordered the US to send troops, would be betraying who we are as a nation by refusing to partake in genocide?

The whole process in the League has been bastardized for a very long time. In most ways it does not affect MEMBER planets. But it has caused misery for many billions of people.

Further, holding back that fleet not only saved thousands of sailors but had no real outcome on the battle.

LOL That is true ldwechsler, but. You know yourself that a woman who dares to point out to her abusive husband "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" is liable to get a whale of a whipping. Men can dish it out, but we can't take it.

If the entire body of the UN decided this was the correct course of action and we refused to go along with the program, then yes, we could be considered unfavorably. But if the US aided and abetted said country (in the manner that Beowulf aided and abetted) - which would also have to be a serious enemy who is threatening to imminently destroy members of the UN - would constitute a betrayal. A betrayal that may or may not be worthy, but the US has big enough britches to handle any karma as a result of it.

Post by ywing14   » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:28 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

The USA is already looked at unfavorably in the UN.
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:The USA is already looked at unfavorably in the UN.

That's because of our own Mandarins who have somehow seized power in the Sol system.

Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

For some reason you seem to be the only one who thinks the crux at the heart of the Harrington Doctrine giving birth to a sphinx rising from the ashes with blood in its eye is a warning that Beowulf is magically immune to.

You're the only one who seems to think that a SLN who has managed to pull itself up by its bootstraps won't make a beeline to smote Beowulf before crushing the upstart neobarbs she was rutting with on the other side of the junction.

Keep believing that. If you believe it hard enough it just might be enough to stop a revitalized and reconstituted juggernaut that weighs in at twice as much as before with all lean meat and no bullshit on the menu.

Rematch 101.

Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:40 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

For some reason you seem to be the only one who thinks the crux at the heart of the Harrington Doctrine giving birth to a sphinx rising from the ashes with blood in its eye is a warning that Beowulf is magically immune to.

You're the only one who seems to think that a SLN who has managed to pull itself up by its bootstraps won't make a beeline to smote Beowulf before crushing the upstart neobarbs she was rutting with on the other side of the junction.

Keep believing that. If you believe it hard enough it just might be enough to stop a revitalized and reconstituted juggernaut that weighs in at twice as much as before with all lean meat and no bullshit on the menu.

Rematch 101.

Remember Shakespeare's advice about lawyers. Also, the phrase "The Constitution is not a suicide pact."

Legally, the French Resistance were criminals for going against the legitimate government at Vichy during World War II. And the Jews in Warsaw were criminals for not going along with the Third Reich's plans to send them to summer camp at Auschwitz.

There is authority and LEGITIMATE authority. The Mandarins over the course of centuries had bastardized the Constitution. Members didn't care because burdens were slight on them. Yet billions of people on "protectorate planets" were murdered and exploited casually.

And Beowulf only really prevented more damage to the fleet. They were essentially scapegoats. Yes, they could have let the fleet go through. But the wormhole was limited. If one ship at a time went through, they could keep coming and get destroyed as they came out. If they came in groups, there would be a longer wait between vessels and the small groups would get destroyed.

We do know certain facts:

1. The largest number of ships that could go through at one time was 17 and that would shut the wormhole off for two days.

2. It took only a couple of minutes for Honor's fleet to wipe out more than 400 major ships. Forts and a small fleet could have wiped out the Sollies...as happened later at that junction described in UH.

Therefore, they did not really commit treason but were a useful scapegoat...as the Jews were for the Third Reich 75 years ago and for the UN right now.

Return to Honorverse