Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 72 guests

BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BEOWULF - THE KARMA SUITSYA
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:
cthia wrote::idea: The rats were eating cheese right out of the embassy. :roll:

Beowulf had an embassy on Old Earth! Why on earth :D did Beowulf have an embassy? They are founders.

Much the same way that many countries send ambassadors to the UN or the EU, even though they are members and in some cases, founders?

It was pretty much a rhetorical question. We all know why Beowulf has an embassy there. To keep abreast of the excrement secreted by the League. That was my point.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I wonder if all the League's members maintain embassies or if it is just the wealthier core worlds. I can see logic in it, especially if you represented a system heavily involved in trade.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:I wonder if all the League's members maintain embassies or if it is just the wealthier core worlds. I can see logic in it, especially if you represented a system heavily involved in trade.

Don

-

Good question. If I guessed, I wouldn't think so, or Old Earth's landscape would be littered with embassies. I would imagine that an embassorial person, persons or office would be located in a some common embassy, housing representatives from all over. But only Beowulf, and the fairly wealthy planets, would have their own separate embassy. Perhaps the other founders may as well. The poorer, therefore politically weaker planets would simply be wasting an entire bldg., since the League could care less what they think anyway. If I had to guess, factoring in the criminal profile of the Mandarin ran League.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Good question. If I guessed, I wouldn't think so, or Old Earth's landscape would be littered with embassies. I would imagine that an embassorial person, persons or office would be located in a some common embassy, housing representatives from all over....

An Embassy doesn't have to be a villa with attached business tower. It might just be an apartment where the chamber representative(s) live with a converted bedroom for an office.

Pretty much every member system has an embassy (or consulate) to house their representatives in the Star Assembly. It is VERY unlikely to be a "common embassy" because every member of the Solarian League is a sovereign nation with national interests and national secrets.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Many contries have Embassys in Washington DC or surrounding towns for the Ambassador (and much of the related foreign service and trade people attached to it.

Most countries who have UN representatives have embasy level locations in the New York City area....obviously (well not to some) the US doesn't have a diplomatic office like with Embasy status, the are still in the US and so will have offices and perhaps a local residence.

Then there are Consulates scattered around the US for various countries, same general level of diplomatic protection. I have seen consulates for various nations in Italy (from public transportation around Rome).

If you need or feel you need representation at that level of diplomatch exchange, they you put an Embassy there. Old Chicago is not exactly a small city. Chicago in the present is not a small city, just not a tall. Not just in square miles but also vertical habitation and probably a lot more than you would expect underground. There was the whole introduction of Hellen Zilwicki and Anton, miles and miles and level after level un undercity (wonderfull what you can do with Honververse tech for a city right on the shoreline of what is effectively an inland sea and an interesting water table level.) So Embassy and Consular locations for 2000+ systems could certainly be there.
This is where the League Assembly meets and where the Bureaucracy is headquartered as well as the offices of the Elected Officials who are the nominal leaders. RFC said Beowulf has an Embassy so they have an embassy- and that can reasonablely extended to most of the League Member worlds. That being the case, non-member worlds would still be interested in maintaining local offices/political and trade missions there for all the normal reasons. Access to lobby for things, regular conduits to business and clear up difficulties.
Manticore doesn't maintain a seperate embassy but is using the Beowulf Embassy for a point or residence or consular offices. That does make sense given the Beowulf-Manticore relationship with the Worm Hole Junction if nothing else.
Manticoreian Diplomats and Negotiators are not stangers to either Earth nore OFS and the League Bureaucracy. Whitness the number of times when we have been given backstory about Manticore standing up to the League in it's many incarnations like OFS to remedy problems- usually of Solly creation or OFS problems like Zunker. It's not just RMN officers doing this, there is a good sized Manticorian Diplomatic Corp and they work at keeping the hands of SL (and other) kleptrocracy off Manticore's citizens and merchant fleet.

So, yeah, there are Embassies and other diplomatic postings on Earth and in Old Chicago. Not so much the other way around. It would appear that local offices of OFS and various Bureaus of the League set of offices and, well, strut around making deals and enforcing SL regulations.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:10 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Brigade XO wrote:
snip...
Manticore doesn't maintain a seperate embassy but is using the Beowulf Embassy for a point or residence or consular offices.

snip

My understanding is that Manticore maintained diplomatic offices and Carmichael moved from those offices to the Beowulf Embassy for additional protection after the mobs tried to trash those offices
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Many contries have Embassys in Washington DC or surrounding towns for the Ambassador (and much of the related foreign service and trade people attached to it.

Most countries who have UN representatives have embasy level locations in the New York City area....obviously (well not to some) the US doesn't have a diplomatic office like with Embasy status, the are still in the US and so will have offices and perhaps a local residence.

Then there are Consulates scattered around the US for various countries, same general level of diplomatic protection. I have seen consulates for various nations in Italy (from public transportation around Rome).

If you need or feel you need representation at that level of diplomatch exchange, they you put an Embassy there. Old Chicago is not exactly a small city. Chicago in the present is not a small city, just not a tall. Not just in square miles but also vertical habitation and probably a lot more than you would expect underground. There was the whole introduction of Hellen Zilwicki and Anton, miles and miles and level after level un undercity (wonderfull what you can do with Honververse tech for a city right on the shoreline of what is effectively an inland sea and an interesting water table level.) So Embassy and Consular locations for 2000+ systems could certainly be there.
This is where the League Assembly meets and where the Bureaucracy is headquartered as well as the offices of the Elected Officials who are the nominal leaders. RFC said Beowulf has an Embassy so they have an embassy- and that can reasonablely extended to most of the League Member worlds. That being the case, non-member worlds would still be interested in maintaining local offices/political and trade missions there for all the normal reasons. Access to lobby for things, regular conduits to business and clear up difficulties.
Manticore doesn't maintain a seperate embassy but is using the Beowulf Embassy for a point or residence or consular offices. That does make sense given the Beowulf-Manticore relationship with the Worm Hole Junction if nothing else.
Manticoreian Diplomats and Negotiators are not stangers to either Earth nore OFS and the League Bureaucracy. Whitness the number of times when we have been given backstory about Manticore standing up to the League in it's many incarnations like OFS to remedy problems- usually of Solly creation or OFS problems like Zunker. It's not just RMN officers doing this, there is a good sized Manticorian Diplomatic Corp and they work at keeping the hands of SL (and other) kleptrocracy off Manticore's citizens and merchant fleet.

So, yeah, there are Embassies and other diplomatic postings on Earth and in Old Chicago. Not so much the other way around. It would appear that local offices of OFS and various Bureaus of the League set of offices and, well, strut around making deals and enforcing SL regulations.

Note that there does not seem to be reciprocity. There has never been a mention of a Solarian Embassy on Manticore.

Actually, there is not much interest in a Ministry of Foreign Affairs because the Sollies just take over the planets they want.

That adds an extra twist to what's happening now. The Mandarins are inept in their dealings with the GA because they have no real experience in foreign relations. Note they went right to their usual tactic: conquer any nation in their way.
Post by kzt   » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Note that there does not seem to be reciprocity. There has never been a mention of a Solarian Embassy on Manticore.

It been mentioned as how it doesn’t exist. The SL government doesn’t have embassies, if you want to talk to the SL you go to Earth, they don’t come to you. Various members of the League maintain embassy’s on Manticore, because the SL doesn’t limit a members ability to negotiate foreign treaties and due to the convienence for their citizens visiting.
Post by pappilon   » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

It been mentioned as how it doesn’t exist. The SL government doesn’t have embassies, if you want to talk to the SL you go to Earth, they don’t come to you. Various members of the League maintain embassy’s on Manticore, because the SL doesn’t limit a members ability to negotiate foreign treaties and due to the convienence for their citizens visiting.

Nobody wants, or at least not willingly wants, an SL embassy. They are known by their Acronym: OFS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:52 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
kzt wrote:

Nobody wants, or at least not willingly wants, an SL embassy. They are known by their Acronym: OFS.[/quote]

I agree. My point is that the Sollies have just about no experience in dealing with foreign nations. For centuries, they have been the big power.

That limits them greatly.

Return to Honorverse