Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Watch the Solarian League's demise

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Watch the Solarian League's demise
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:With the Forts up and running at Lynx, there is another force there that is almost as big as Mike's; SDPs and the LERM version of the Reliants.
I don't specifically recall seeing BCs with the larger extended range missile tubes. But it there were some late flight Reliants built with, or refit for, them I think they'd be for the heavy cruiser weight Mark-14 ERM, not the DD/CL weight LERM (lightweight extended range missile).
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Jonathan_S wrote:
Armed Neo-Bob wrote:With the Forts up and running at Lynx, there is another force there that is almost as big as Mike's; SDPs and the LERM version of the Reliants.
I don't specifically recall seeing BCs with the larger extended range missile tubes. But it there were some late flight Reliants built with, or refit for, them I think they'd be for the heavy cruiser weight Mark-14 ERM, not the DD/CL weight LERM (lightweight extended range missile).

In SoSag, the description of the tonnage of the Black Rose makes it either Flight III or IV Reliant class, dating from post-Buttercup. The Sag-B came out about the same time, I think.

Rob
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:I don't specifically recall seeing BCs with the larger extended range missile tubes. But it there were some late flight Reliants built with, or refit for, them I think they'd be for the heavy cruiser weight Mark-14 ERM, not the DD/CL weight LERM (lightweight extended range missile).

In SoSag, the description of the tonnage of the Black Rose makes it either Flight III or IV Reliant class, dating from post-Buttercup. The Sag-B came out about the same time, I think.

Rob
Ok, "but she was a Saganami-C-class. At 483,000 tons, she was almost half Black Rose's size." [SftS] making HMS Black Rose in excess of 966,000 tons; even larger than a flight III-IV Reliant which HoS puts at 934,250 tons. However I can't find any descriptions of her missiles and the books that mention her (SftS and SoV) don't seem to have the term LERM, ERM, Mk36 or Mk14 - so I can't see anything showing that she's got longer ranged missiles. (Though if a flight IV+ or V build contemporary to the Sag-B I agree it makes sense that she'd carry the same Mk14 ERM as the CA did - since RMN CAs and BCs normally used the same missiles)

HoS lists the Reliant Flight III-IV with a service life starting in 1915, a couple years before the 1917 introduction of the Sag-B. Even if the lead units predated the Mark-14 ERM it does seem like it's production would overlap that of the Sag-C so it would seem surprising if there weren't some Reliants with those bigger longer ranged missiles.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:The GA will, thanks to friends from Beowulf, also have a pretty good idea where the raiding units are based. Keep in mind that if they want to avoid piracy charges, the raiders will have to do something with prisoners. If they are mistreated or killed, those piracy rules go back into place.

Yes, the League can get a few commerce victories but the GA can simply smash orbital stations on the richest planets, pushing them to demand peace. Or that citadel defense mentioned by Alice Truman for Manticore way back when.

Why do they have to take prisoners? Simply let them go, they're harmless.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:52 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:The GA will, thanks to friends from Beowulf, also have a pretty good idea where the raiding units are based. Keep in mind that if they want to avoid piracy charges, the raiders will have to do something with prisoners. If they are mistreated or killed, those piracy rules go back into place.

Yes, the League can get a few commerce victories but the GA can simply smash orbital stations on the richest planets, pushing them to demand peace. Or that citadel defense mentioned by Alice Truman for Manticore way back when.

Why do they have to take prisoners? Simply let them go, they're harmless.

Of course. But they have to leave them somewhere. They are taking the ships (they are commerce raiders, after all). The places they drop their "guests" would soon become targets.

Have a few ships in orbit in passive mode including perhaps a CLAC or two. When the cruiser(s) come in, just pick them off.

Remember that the GA can pretty much move anywhere they want in the League.

Return to Honorverse