Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests

Cyborgs and Exoskeletons

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cyborgs and Exoskeletons
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:Oh, here's a crazy idea... warrior cats? Presumably they have better reflexes than humans, and so far we've never seen one use either weapons, vehicles or armour?

Imagine if Genghis had been carrying a firearm when Rat Poison happened? Could he have prevented it?

Nu uh! Nimitz used weapons! :roll:

While cracking a lot of eggs in the Maccabeus coup, he used human heads as a catapult! :lol:

Even though it is ancient tech as old as 5 B.C., it worked just fine.

Last edited by cthia on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Walks Alone   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Walks Alone
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I recall he was proficient with a frisbee too, and I seem to recall there was an incident involving a swimming pool and some tennis balls?

And if I got round to being serious, I was thinking of either some sort of ranged stun weapon (or if really necessary, a pulser), so he could take out a sensed nanotech hijack before that hijack could do anything.

Obviously a stun weapon would be far preferable to a pulser, but I can't remember if the Honorverse has those?
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:I recall he was proficient with a frisbee too, and I seem to recall there was an incident involving a swimming pool and some tennis balls?

And if I got round to being serious, I was thinking of either some sort of ranged stun weapon (or if really necessary, a pulser), so he could take out a sensed nanotech hijack before that hijack could do anything.

Yep. And the frisbee had a bit too much heat on it even for a Sphinxian! A Sphinxian!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This is really an intriguing notion all around. It is illegal to wear or even own brass knuckles in most American states. Though there are many people who ignore the law. Some try and find ingenious ways to get around it. The latest I've seen is the spinner toy that are shaped like brass knuckles. Usable. Big businesses jump on the band wagon of humanity's preoccupation with weaponry.

The topic of this thread makes it rather easy to adapt one's body into a lethal fighting machine. I wonder if many planets won't ban the tech. Surely state of the art body scanners have to run rampant on planets near embarkation-debarkation stations.

Honor only had one finger tricked out. What if someone elects to have all fingers done? The arm becomes a pulse rifle in disguise. Once upon a time paraplegics, are now walking super-soldiers. Scrags can become very nasty individuals.

Remember Robocop anyone?

Post by Daryl   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:08 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

The weapon recoil topic has been covered previously. When anyone can fire a civilian pulsar and each dart has roughly the energy of a .50 cal round, and they fire lots, then obviously recoil is taken care of by Honorverse physics.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:01 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Daryl wrote:The weapon recoil topic has been covered previously. When anyone can fire a civilian pulsar and each dart has roughly the energy of a .50 cal round, and they fire lots, then obviously recoil is taken care of by Honorverse physics.

By Honorverse gunsmiths, more likely. ;)

But seriously, as soon as people started fighting in micro-gravity R&D departments would start researching guns that could neutralise all recoil.

I just presumed that, by the time of the Honorverse, the recoil problem was sorted.
Post by Walks Alone   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Walks Alone
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

On the issue of weaponised implants... I imagine imaging techniques would make concealed pulsers detectable. Combat computer programmes in the limbs might be harder to spot.

On the issue of recoil... I envisioned some kind of broad spectrum tractor... spreading the recoil over every solid object over a range of, say, ten meters, so the force imparted to a single object would be relatively minuscule... say, you fire a pulser, and all the nearby blades of grass bend slightly in the other direction, and there's a slight breeze on your face for a moment.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It seems to me that a species who has managed to tame and counter gravity and apply it to develop an inertial compensator has learned a thing or three about force cancellation along the way.

Or vice versa. The chicken and the egg.

Post by quite possibly a cat   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:36 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Recoil isn't a matter of energy per shot, its a matter of momentum per shot. If you double velocity, and reduce the mass by half, you also double the total energy while not changing the recoil. Also it always seemed like Pulsars did have some recoil. I also think that the standard darts aren't designed for penetration, but for making a mess of the target. Otherwise you'd have these little holes instead of massive damage.

I don't think there is any indication anything except for the wedges and spider drive is "reactionless" though. Even those are actually pushing on the hyperwall. True reactionless engines break the concept of energy.

cthia wrote:Honor only had one finger tricked out. What if someone elects to have all fingers done? The arm becomes a pulse rifle in disguise. Once upon a time paraplegics, are now walking super-soldiers. Scrags can become very nasty individuals.
I would assume most countries make that blatantly illegal. Also as far as I can tell Scrags don't routinely do cybernetic enhancements. Which makes sense otherwise they wouldn't have as much of an advantage over "subhumans" if their bodies strength came from cybernetics.

Maybe somewhere there is a cult/world of transhumans who have combined the best genetic mods of Mfecane worlds, Scrags, Mesa and everyone else who screwed with genetics, along with the best cybernetics the galaxy has made. But its not Mesa and not the Scrags. I know if I wanted to do general research one way to do it would be to scatter colonies, provide them with different restrictions and set myself up as the central communications hub. Then harvest the results. Basically tide pools for SCIENCE! Makes you wonder who apparently decided to hand Grayson the tech for sails and not inertial compensators?
Post by glott   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:16 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Walks Alone wrote:I recall he was proficient with a frisbee too, and I seem to recall there was an incident involving a swimming pool and some tennis balls?

Obviously a stun weapon would be far preferable to a pulser, but I can't remember if the Honorverse has those?

Yeah they have stunners. In On Basilisk Station, the Marines accompanying Ens. "Scotty" Tremaine on his customs inspections of freighters were armed with stunners.

But, off-hand, I can't think of any other references to stunners.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber

Return to Honorverse