Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Cyborgs and Exoskeletons

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cyborgs and Exoskeletons
Post by glott   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jonathan_S wrote:As for Yu the two actual quotes are:
"Something moved in the dimness, and his free hand locked on a rung to anchor him against the recoil as he raised his pulser"

"Yu rolled on his side in midair, holding his pulser in a two-handed grip as he flashed across the open lift doors. A Masadan soldier saw him and opened his mouth to shout a warning, but the captain squeezed his trigger, and two other pulsers whined as the three of them sent a tornado of darts down the passage.
There was no time to pick targets, but those darts were no less deadly for being unaimed. They clawed down the Masadans who’d lurked in ambush, and Yu stuck out a foot. His toes hooked under one of the ladder rungs before the recoil of his pulser could push him away from it"

tlb wrote:Again, thanks for the quote. This might cure me of making a reply before checking the text, but I am afraid that is unlikely: reactions are much faster than thought.

Joat42 wrote:Maybe the recoil from a pulser on full auto is more akin to a pushing actions ie. the recoils comes so fast they flow together.

My experience with assault guns on full auto is that novices tend to be surprised and doesn't compensate for the recoil and the gun quickly points upwards (or even smacking them in the face). If you are familiar with the weapon you know how to compensate for the recoil and I don't see why Yu wouldn't have the experience and reflexes to compensate for his use of the pulser. After all - they certainly knew well that the Masadans weren't to be trusted and most likely the Haven crew trained for any eventuality.

As Jonathan_S said earlier in the last page.

Jonathan_S wrote:In HOTQ Captain Yu, while using a counter-grav collar to work his way down a lift shaft needed to anchor himself against recoil before firing his pulser (pistol).

Pardon my bold for emphasis.

So Captain Yu was effectively in zero-G (or at most micro-G) when he fired his pulser, any recoil would cause him to move unless he anchored himself to something.

------
Last edited by glott on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by Daryl   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

This reinforces my original point. If each pulsar dart has the same muzzle energy as a 50 cal and it fires a stream of them, the experience would be akin to holding a 50 cal browning in one hand and firing a belt full. Unless the recoil is mitigated some how you would probably lose the arm at the shoulder. Thus the counter grav rail gun action must not have a Newtonian equal reaction.
Post by aairfccha   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:04 pm

aairfccha
Commander

glott wrote:So Captain Yu was effectively in zero-G (or at most micro-G) when he fired his pulser, any recoil would cause him to move unless he anchored himself to something.

------

The question is how much this would have mattered.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/sidearmslug.php (scroll down to "Recoil")

Trip the Space Parasite calculates that a .45 automatic will give 0.12 m/s of deltaV to a 50 kg person
Post by tlb   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

glott wrote:So Captain Yu was effectively in zero-G (or at most micro-G) when he fired his pulser, any recoil would cause him to move unless he anchored himself to something.

------

aairfccha wrote:The question is how much this would have mattered.

Trip the Space Parasite calculates that a .45 automatic will give 0.12 m/s of deltaV to a 50 kg person

This question comes up because the mass driver technology, used in things as varied as the pulser to creating the initial acceleration of the missiles from a pod, seems to produce much less recoil than our understanding of the physics would suggest. The pulser has about 7 times the muzzle velocity of a .45 auto and in zero-g could leave you spinning around your center of mass without counteracting force.
I initially raised this question because the mass of the missiles in a pod is much greater than the pod itself; so firing those missiles should give the most thrust to the pod.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Some day, Darius may be home to an entire line of these.

"The Zeta line, the last that we need."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:30 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Some day, Darius may be home to an entire line of these.

What?? A line of cyborgs?
Post by Vince   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:54 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

I would think that would be the Ω line.

Ω, ω, Omega, last letter of the Greek alphabet.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:

I would think that would be the Ω line.

Ω, ω, Omega, last letter of the Greek alphabet.

Oh come on. You know I'm a Christian. The Malign has already claimed Alpha status. No way I was giving them Omega too.

Alpha and Omega status has already been claimed.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:21 pm

saber964
Admiral

glott wrote:
Walks Alone wrote:I recall he was proficient with a frisbee too, and I seem to recall there was an incident involving a swimming pool and some tennis balls?

And if I got round to being serious, I was thinking of either some sort of ranged stun weapon (or if really necessary, a pulser), so he could take out a sensed nanotech hijack before that hijack could do anything.

Obviously a stun weapon would be far preferable to a pulser, but I can't remember if the Honorverse has those?

Yeah they have stunners. In On Basilisk Station, the Marines accompanying Ens. "Scotty" Tremaine on his customs inspections of freighters were armed with stunners.

But, off-hand, I can't think of any other references to stunners.

They're several mentioned in the series

Field of Dishonor Ramirez HQ platoon had them in the assault on Summerville cabin

Shadow of Saganami KNP was offered a few of the from the Kitties MarDet.

Return to Honorverse