Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 31 guests

If I were a Mandarin

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: If I were a Mandarin
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:24 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
What if one of them is just as sick of the idiocy as Eloise was about her Republic? What if one of them, has always had the real spirit of the League at heart. What if one of them, is just as passionate about their Solarian League as Eloise and Rose are about their Republic?

SNIP

* Who would it be? Agatá Wodoslawski or Omusupe Quartermain?

SNIP

LOL

So much for my thought then. That all Mandarins weren't up to their gills in corruption. That one or two may have been in it only up to their knees. Hard to believe that they were all at the same level of corruption. I can imagine just having to go with the flow. Either sail with the ship or "man overboard!"

While I don't think any of them capable of the sort of patriotism Eloise has, Agatá Wodoslawski does seem to be the least outright insane of the crowd. Since the League is at heart (IMO) a trade network, she might well be the one to hold together what is left of it; anyone who does manage that will certainly need her support, anyway. Also, I have a fondness for redheads... but I am not going to let that influence me at all. LOL

Regards, Rob
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
What if one of them is just as sick of the idiocy as Eloise was about her Republic? What if one of them, has always had the real spirit of the League at heart. What if one of them, is just as passionate about their Solarian League as Eloise and Rose are about their Republic?

SNIP

* Who would it be? Agatá Wodoslawski or Omusupe Quartermain?

SNIP

LOL

So much for my thought then. That all Mandarins weren't up to their gills in corruption. That one or two may have been in it only up to their knees. Hard to believe that they were all at the same level of corruption. I can imagine just having to go with the flow. Either sail with the ship or "man overboard!"

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:While I don't think any of them capable of the sort of patriotism Eloise has, Agatá Wodoslawski does seem to be the least outright insane of the crowd. Since the League is at heart (IMO) a trade network, she might well be the one to hold together what is left of it; anyone who does manage that will certainly need her support, anyway. Also, I have a fondness for redheads... but I am not going to let that influence me at all. LOL

Regards, Rob

Honestly, if there was a Weimar Constitution, or whatever previous one the league had, which there isn't, Kolkostlov [sp] would be the first to go there. He knows the constitution sucks, he knows it has never worked. He holds on to power because, quite frankly, "can the next [wo]man do as good a job?" They can't drain the swamp ( no allusions to the current administration intended) yet they seem to be up to their butts in alligators.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Could there be one good Mandarin?

No. In a system like this it's impossible for a good person to reach that level of power.
Post by kzt   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:
cthia wrote:Could there be one good Mandarin?

No. In a system like this it's impossible for a good person to reach that level of power.

There are not good people and there are terrible people. For example, Yuri Andropov vs Lavrentiy Beria. Andropov was not a nice guy, but he didn’t cruise Moscow streets looking for young women to kidnap and rape. Andropov preferred to arrest and imprison his political opponents in psychiatric hospitals instead of having them and their families executed.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:

There are not good people and there are terrible people. For example, Yuri Andropov vs Lavrentiy Beria. Andropov was not a nice guy, but he didn’t cruise Moscow streets looking for young women to kidnap and rape. Andropov preferred to arrest and imprison his political opponents in psychiatric hospitals instead of having them and their families executed.

Yeah, there are degrees of evil. They might not be a sadist or the like but they're still evil.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:56 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:

Yeah, there are degrees of evil. They might not be a sadist or the like but they're still evil.[/quote]

Actually, they're super-bureaucrats. More likely to kill with a pen than a sword. And real sickos seldom flourish for all that long in a vast bureaucracy. They tend to get stopped on the way up.

You get venial slime whose sociopathy is more towards grabbing more power rather than by sheer terror.

The KGB was a terror arm of the government. That's where they psychos hang out.

Return to Honorverse