Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

If I were a Mandarin

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
If I were a Mandarin
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

this is what I'd do.

I would jockey for position to take advantage of the current government. I would seize control of the navy. What's stopping the Mandarins from executing a coup, of a different view?

They can leave and take the military with them to another planet and form a government there. In the Honorverse, your huge military can overthrow you.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: If I were a Mandarin
Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The fact that the navy controls lots of firepower.

It's like a plan that says "I'll seize control of the US navy." OK, and how are you going to do that? And what happens when a SEAL team explosively breaches your office door while you are being distracted by the Marine battalion advancing from Quantico, the helicopters flying in from Ft Campbell and these F16s from Andrews that keep dropping JDAMs.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:09 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:this is what I'd do.

I would jockey for position to take advantage of the current government. I would seize control of the navy. What's stopping the Mandarins from executing a coup, of a different view?

They can leave and take the military with them to another planet and form a government there. In the Honorverse, your huge military can overthrow you.

Bah, Humbug. If Iwere a Mandarin, I'd transfer a fair bit of my bri ... er ill gotten booty to accounts in (1) Harrington Steading,(2) Nouveau Paris, (3) Sphinx &(4)Neu Berlin, Grab a few million in Credit chits and head off to Torch for an extended vacation.

Be the first rat to flee the burning ship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:The fact that the navy controls lots of firepower.

It's like a plan that says "I'll seize control of the US navy." OK, and how are you going to do that? And what happens when a SEAL team explosively breaches your office door while you are being distracted by the Marine battalion advancing from Quantico, the helicopters flying in from Ft Campbell and these F16s from Andrews that keep dropping JDAMs.

I know that game very well, heck I authored several chapters and am mentioned in several others. The rest of my booty, the part I didn't transfer around goes partially to Kingsford to buy me a few honest admirals. You know the ones, they get bought and stay bought. They Cut orders to rendezvous in some out of the way planet in the verge and I set myself up.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The 'bug out with the money' plan seems more likely to work out in at least the short to mid-term.

Long run, probably you'll have issues. But maybe the horse will learn to sing?
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:38 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:The 'bug out with the money' plan seems more likely to work out in at least the short to mid-term.

Long run, probably you'll have issues. But maybe the horse will learn to sing?

Find a quiet pleasure planet, perhaps one of the ones Filareta vacationed on, Buy a villa and bribe a few politicians. Nothing is permanent.

Heck, there's enough planets out there needing capital to develop the other habitable world. I'm sure my contacts in OFS can identify a few candidates in return for a one way ticket to our new home.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The drawback of any plan that relies on people doing things for money is that they decide to kill you and take all your money. Terrible things happen out there in the lawless frontier...
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:30 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:The drawback of any plan that relies on people doing things for money is that they decide to kill you and take all your money. Terrible things happen out there in the lawless frontier...

Or you can just go down with the burning ship with all your rubles in your pocket. The universe is an inherently dangerous place. You buys yer ticket and you takes yer chances with the rest of us.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote:
cthia wrote:this is what I'd do.

Bah, Humbug. If Iwere a Mandarin, I'd transfer a fair bit of my bri ... er ill gotten booty to accounts in (1) Harrington Steading,(2) Nouveau Paris, (3) Sphinx &(4)Neu Berlin, Grab a few million in Credit chits and head off to Torch for an extended vacation.

Be the first rat to flee the burning ship.

:lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:The fact that the navy controls lots of firepower.

Difference?

The US navy and its civilian masters isn't a bunch of jackasses sitting around with their collective thumbs up their asses—an opposable thumbless species—awaiting someone to seize control.

The Mandarins already have the reins. They just need to put on their big boy pants, be just a little bit more ruthless, grasp the reins and seize the total power that they've been given.

They already control the navy and everyone who has rank was favored in. The alternative for the navy is dismemberment. A total disbanding amidst the crumbling of the League.

Return to Honorverse