Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests

Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoilers)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ivitation to discuss Call to Vengeance snippets (spoiler
Post by pappilon   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:17 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
He was never comfortable with his "accident of birth" which made him a peer of the realm. He was comfortable being a little vote going the wayhe was told to go.

Actually it echoes the robbery scene: First thing they did by choosing you was they picked the wrong guy, you're basically honest.

Bluesqueak wrote:It very much echoes the robbery scene, suggesting that Gavin and Travis are much more alike than they think. Smart, prefer being in the background, loyal to their Star Kingdom, initially underestimated. And both 'Called to Duty' - Gavin's true duty being to become one of Manticore's responsible aristocrats, not just a handy vote for others to manipulate.

Don't go too far past the snippets, please, I (and possibly others) don't have the e-arc. But, don't you hate it when an author does that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:
pappilon wrote:
He was never comfortable with his "accident of birth" which made him a peer of the realm. He was comfortable being a little vote going the wayhe was told to go.

Actually it echoes the robbery scene: First thing they did by choosing you was they picked the wrong guy, you're basically honest.

Bluesqueak wrote:It very much echoes the robbery scene, suggesting that Gavin and Travis are much more alike than they think. Smart, prefer being in the background, loyal to their Star Kingdom, initially underestimated. And both 'Called to Duty' - Gavin's true duty being to become one of Manticore's responsible aristocrats, not just a handy vote for others to manipulate.

Don't go too far past the snippets, please, I (and possibly others) don't have the e-arc. But, don't you hate it when an author does that?

Don't worry, I've only read the snippets, as well.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I'm not working with an earc. I am working with an honest to goodness downloadable book I got through B&N who doesn't handle earcs. I presume that the release date was February 8. I don't know if the dead tree edition is on the shelves yet. But the book is available and downloadable which makes me wonder if there are going to be more snippets.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:38 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I see a snippet posted yesterday. So now I'm not sure what is going on. I will be careful about my posting until the situation is clarified.

Wonderful to have a surplus of snippets! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:I'm not working with an earc. I am working with an honest to goodness downloadable book I got through B&N who doesn't handle earcs. I presume that the release date was February 8. I don't know if the dead tree edition is on the shelves yet. But the book is available and downloadable which makes me wonder if there are going to be more snippets.

Don

-

Sounds like you got an advance copy - do you post reviews for B&N? Or maybe they confused the date of release.

The publication date in the UK is definitely March 6th.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:43 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
n7axw wrote:I'm not working with an earc. I am working with an honest to goodness downloadable book I got through B&N who doesn't handle earcs. I presume that the release date was February 8. I don't know if the dead tree edition is on the shelves yet. But the book is available and downloadable which makes me wonder if there are going to be more snippets.

Don

-

Sounds like you got an advance copy - do you post reviews for B&N? Or maybe they confused the date of release.

The publication date in the UK is definitely March 6th.

Amazon release date is also March 6, my copy is due to ship the following week. I have an e-reader that I don't care for. I guess I'm just way old, I prefer hard copy. Doesn't hurt mu eyes near as bad as the screens do.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Bluesqueak   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Interesting snippet today - it seems Elizabeth has trained as a counsellor.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

I haven't read the E-arc, but I have read up to chapter 26 of the Webscription. A chapter that appears after the current snippet mentions part of the Star Kingdom's constitution that appears to differ from what will exist several centuries later in the main Honor Harrington series (BTW, there is a hint of this in _A Call to Arms_). I wonder when the change takes place.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:Interesting snippet today - it seems Elizabeth has trained as a counsellor.

It also cleared up a few bits of confusion for me, like where those ships came from that showed up behind our intrepid new adversaries. And what did anyone do with those obsolete GPS satellites hanging out at the LaGrange point. I must have missed some communications or something.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by jchilds   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:29 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

The security people all share names with the cast of Knights of the Dinner Table - That explains everything.

Return to Honorverse