Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests

Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers
Post by Bluesqueak   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:
Bluesqueak wrote:And which class of ship is designed to find and retrieve chunks of space junk?

:D

We do know that we could sweep the areas with space tugs moving across the expected orbits of the junk if we are satisfied with destroying it. Or they could use tractor beams on anything that needed examining or saving.

Yes, that would be a good method for 'we need this space cleared, and we need it cleared now.' Agreed. And if a system does have an un-destroyed navy, even one consisting of older LACs, they could send them to examine any hulks or large enough chunks. If their tech is behind, they could learn a lot from reverse-engineering.

I still think the asteroid miners are best suited to finding the chunks that are only valuable as 'metal'.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
tlb wrote:And which class of ship is designed to find and retrieve chunks of space junk?

We do know that we could sweep the areas with space tugs moving across the expected orbits of the junk if we are satisfied with destroying it. Or they could use tractor beams on anything that needed examining or saving.

Yes, that would be a good method for 'we need this space cleared, and we need it cleared now.' Agreed. And if a system does have an un-destroyed navy, even one consisting of older LACs, they could send them to examine any hulks or large enough chunks. If their tech is behind, they could learn a lot from reverse-engineering.

I still think the asteroid miners are best suited to finding the chunks that are only valuable as 'metal'.[/quote]

I believe the first chapters of the upcoming book describe the process in great detail.
Post by tlb   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:And which class of ship is designed to find and retrieve chunks of space junk?

tlb wrote:We do know that we could sweep the areas with space tugs moving across the expected orbits of the junk if we are satisfied with destroying it. Or they could use tractor beams on anything that needed examining or saving.

Bluesqueak wrote:Yes, that would be a good method for 'we need this space cleared, and we need it cleared now.' Agreed. And if a system does have an un-destroyed navy, even one consisting of older LACs, they could send them to examine any hulks or large enough chunks. If their tech is behind, they could learn a lot from reverse-engineering.

I still think the asteroid miners are best suited to finding the chunks that are only valuable as 'metal'.

ldwechsler wrote:I believe the first chapters of the upcoming book describe the process in great detail.

What is the source of this confidence? We have the snippet that people are recovering usable items (such as grasers) from the captured ships, but they are still fairly complete (except maybe for some large holes) and probably in parking orbits - not lost as space junk. If Filareta's fleet had been blown into space junk, then I do not think that the pieces would be good for more than scrap.

PS. Note that I have fixed the attributions that were completely scrambled in the prior post.
Post by Rincewind   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

tlb wrote:

tlb wrote:We do know that we could sweep the areas with space tugs moving across the expected orbits of the junk if we are satisfied with destroying it. Or they could use tractor beams on anything that needed examining or saving.

Bluesqueak wrote:Yes, that would be a good method for 'we need this space cleared, and we need it cleared now.' Agreed. And if a system does have an un-destroyed navy, even one consisting of older LACs, they could send them to examine any hulks or large enough chunks. If their tech is behind, they could learn a lot from reverse-engineering.

ldwechsler wrote:I believe the first chapters of the upcoming book describe the process in great detail.

What is the source of this confidence? We have the snippet that people are recovering usable items (such as grasers) from the captured ships, but they are still fairly complete (except maybe for some large holes) and probably in parking orbits - not lost as space junk. If Filareta's fleet had been blown into space junk, then I do not think that the pieces would be good for more than scrap.

PS. Note that I have fixed the attributions that were completely scrambled in the prior post.

Not all of Filareta's fleet was blown into space junk. Out of 427 Superdreadnoughts 296 were destroyed but 131 survived. 60 were undamaged & the rest were repairable (if anyone had bothered to repair obsolete junk like that).
So there were plenty of hulls available to strip.

Return to Honorverse