Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

feyhunde wrote:
BrightSoul wrote:The question this blurb brings to mind for me is what happens with all those people in ONI and the Gendarmes looking into Manticore's claims about the alignment?

Here are a few of the breadcrumbs I'm wondering about on the SLN side of the story. IIRC Filareta wondered why his supply of missile pods was coming from Mesa. What hints will these intrepid investigators find? The missile pods for the Beowulf attack can't come from Mesa now since Mike has taken the system. Will they lead to one of the RF systems?

Another that I wonder about is Axelrod, Jessyck and TIY. Will anyone figure out that all three transtellars were members of the Mesan government? Where will they relocate? to one of the RF systems?

Interesting times. There's a part of me that wants to see a mystery novel set between This arc and the next one.

Also, no matter how good the Alignment is, there's a mistake somewhere that will be missed. Everything from an offsite backup by a careless office worker to a dud explosive in the final flourish, to cutouts knowing too much, to the wrong people being killed in the cover up.

Harahap may just be the first. How many techs, dockworkers, etc will have information on the MA that the just didn't know about? What about information not known? Like a nature preserve no one in the Mesan government actually knew about that just exploded? Etc.

That will be one of the big reveals in the upcoming book. We have already seen that Harahap knows a lot more than the Detweilers knew. There will be others. There will be records. And there likely will be people left behind by MAlign. They almost certainly didn't kill of all the people with knowledge and there may be more than a few who will be really ticked off that they were not considered all that valuable.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Actually somebody's information laden laptop could fill in a lot of holes in Manticore's knowledge of the Alignment, as could a member of the Alignment who is po-ed about being left behind or simply falls into Manticore's clutches.

Houdini was far too rushed to be error free...

Then too, we saw that snippet about the Detweiler's anger over what happened to their folks. What sort of bad decisions will that anger provoke them into and will GA take advantage?

Then too, in SoV Zach McBryde was developed as a sympathetic character... does he play a pivitol role in all of this somehow?

I would love to see Honor on the flag bridge in charge of a fleet approaching Darius, but I doubt that will happen...

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Peter2   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 am

Peter2
Captain (Junior Grade)

quite possibly a cat wrote:New theory based off the blurb:

When a large ship with a powerful modern military hyperdrive goes through a hyperbridge the bridge isn't fully stabilized by the time the next ship can go through. Instead it causes a small amount of deep seated damage that takes a little bit more time to repair. Honor, send more super-dreadnoughts with minimal jump time than anyone ever has in the past, causing what is normally strain that can be ignored to build catastrophically. The hyperbridge shatters forming a portal straight to Hell in the wake of Honor's fleet. Humanity learns what's been wiping out intelligent space faring races in the worst manner possible. Somewhere, in a neglected corner of the Solarian League a single Peep shakes her first at and says "I told you so!"

I may have taken this blurb overly literally. :P

It might not be that simple. :twisted: Don't forget that the main man of the streak drive is now working for the Alliance (he's certainly there, and I assume he's working!), and I get the impression that the streak drive bypasses the portal system. And despite Oyster Bay, the Alliance has some VERY good techs :ugeek: :ugeek:
Post by tlb   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Peter2 wrote: Don't forget that the main man of the streak drive is now working for the Alliance (he's certainly there, and I assume he's working!), and I get the impression that the streak drive bypasses the portal system. And despite Oyster Bay, the Alliance has some VERY good techs :ugeek: :ugeek:

Simos was working on theory to improve the streak drive and might not be the best when describing how it is built; but the Alliance has people that can help with that (as you say).
The wormhole junctions has such an advantage over even the streak drive that it would foolish to avoid them (we know that streak drive equipped courier ships did use them). The advantage of the streak drive occurs when a junction is not available.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Peter2 wrote: Don't forget that the main man of the streak drive is now working for the Alliance (he's certainly there, and I assume he's working!), and I get the impression that the streak drive bypasses the portal system. And despite Oyster Bay, the Alliance has some VERY good techs :ugeek: :ugeek:

Simos was working on theory to improve the streak drive and might not be the best when describing how it is built; but the Alliance has people that can help with that (as you say).
The wormhole junctions has such an advantage over even the streak drive that it would foolish to avoid them (we know that streak drive equipped courier ships did use them). The advantage of the streak drive occurs when a junction is not available.

We saw that even with the Junction in the picture, Mesa still had a faster Strategic OOD loop than Manticore overall. The Streak drive speed advantage on the hyper legs to the junction (which virtually any communication loop has unless you the talking Manticore / Beowulf) guaranteed it had faster communications.

Having the Streak drive will enable a better knowledge and control of strategic assets than an opponent without. We saw in the 1st war, Manticore's regional command independence allowed local commanders to operate inside Haven's OOD loop and counter offensives after they were identified due to local initiative and command independence. With decreased OOD loops, Manticore could have run ops like that in Yeltsin across the board, moving their nodal forces before the opponent could notice, squashing them, then moving on to the next incoming target (or their original covering position) before the opponent could notice or take advantage of the situation.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:The question this blurb brings to mind for me is what happens with all those people in ONI and the Gendarmes looking into Manticore's claims about the alignment?

Here are a few of the breadcrumbs I'm wondering about on the SLN side of the story. IIRC Filareta wondered why his supply of missile pods was coming from Mesa. What hints will these intrepid investigators find? The missile pods for the Beowulf attack can't come from Mesa now since Mike has taken the system. Will they lead to one of the RF systems?

Another that I wonder about is Axelrod, Jessyck and TIY. Will anyone figure out that all three transtellars were members of the Mesan government? Where will they relocate? to one of the RF systems?

Interesting times. There's a part of me that wants to see a mystery novel set between This arc and the next one.

Technodyne is not a Mesan corp. It's got sales/executive offices on a large number of planets, including Mesa, and also has manufacturing facilities in a large number of systems, including Sol. David did an infodump on Yildun a couple of months ago, which is where all this comes from.

The reason Filaretta was a bit puzzled is that Mesa doesn't host a Technodyne manufacturing facility, so even if Technodyne was manufacturing the Cataphracts (which they are, even though they were probably designed on Darius), having a stockpile in Mesa is a bit of a puzzle.

Here's what I've got on Yildun, by the way...

6. Yildun (Technodyne Industries of Yildun - TIY)
. == 183 ly from Terra (CoS.28)
. !! 2nd discovered junction. No planets in the system.
-- 6.1 Templar (135 ly from Yildun)
. == 69.5 ly from Sol
-- 6.2 Dickerson
— 6.3 Mascot
. == 42 ly from Olivia (9.1)
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:49 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
cthia wrote:From the blurb it seems that the League has finally gone too far and pissed off Sally. Now she's taking her gloves off and is heading their way loaded for bear.

Which highlights my original notion that the Harrington Plan is written on, and too much like walking on rice paper.

Can the blurb not be posted here?

My apology for missing the blurb, marcus. A fine thing you did.

Sally rides again!

Didn't I read somewhere that Honor has a chat with Kingsford? I wonder if it is from Earth orbit? LOL

Whose minding the store while Sally is away?

I believe its in person. I assume Kingsford is asking for asylum and trading everything he knows to not be deported back to the ex-Solarian League nations. Mainly because that would be funny.
Post by BrightSoul   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:Technodyne is not a Mesan corp. It's got sales/executive offices on a large number of planets, including Mesa, and also has manufacturing facilities in a large number of systems, including Sol. David did an infodump on Yildun a couple of months ago, which is where all this comes from.

The reason Filaretta was a bit puzzled is that Mesa doesn't host a Technodyne manufacturing facility, so even if Technodyne was manufacturing the Cataphracts (which they are, even though they were probably designed on Darius), having a stockpile in Mesa is a bit of a puzzle.

. == 69.5 ly from Sol
-- 6.2 Dickerson
— 6.3 Mascot

Technodyne is a participant in the meeting of the Mesan Board of Directors in Chapter 43 of SoV. Even if it is a covert member of the governing board of Mesa something will leak.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:19 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Technodyne is not a Mesan corp. It's got sales/executive offices on a large number of planets, including Mesa, and also has manufacturing facilities in a large number of systems, including Sol. David did an infodump on Yildun a couple of months ago, which is where all this comes from.

. == 69.5 ly from Sol
-- 6.2 Dickerson
— 6.3 Mascot

Technodyne is a participant in the meeting of the Mesan Board of Directors in Chapter 43 of SoV. Even if it is a covert member of the governing board of Mesa something will leak.

Once the GA has taken over Mesa, there will be a real lot of information coming forward on a lot of corporations. And it will cause huge embarrassment for politicians on some other planets. Not to mention the Mandarins. Remember, Technodyne does a lot of armaments for the League and it will be a good talking point afterwards about THEIR complicity in the use of many of those weapons against planets under their control.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

I think Techodyne has different "companies" for different systems. The one of Earth got like a 1/3rd of their board arrested last we heard. Which likely means there has been a wipe of assets and a rebirth. GM Motors on Earth had a similar thing happen IRL, although without the criminal element! :lol:

If they ARE all one big company, I assume they were busy beavers scrubbing any links to Darius.

P.S. I wonder who is doing the prosecution of Techodyne. If its the Feds that bodes well for the SLN's intelligence since Techodyne must have had a good idea about the capabilities of Manticore. OTOH, if its the System I wonder if they'll sandbag the Feds if the feds ever get around to looking for that data.

Return to Honorverse