Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 27 guests

Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising Honor Up on Amazon and with Spoilers
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:I think Techodyne has different "companies" for different systems. The one of Earth got like a 1/3rd of their board arrested last we heard. Which likely means there has been a wipe of assets and a rebirth. GM Motors on Earth had a similar thing happen IRL, although without the criminal element! :lol:

If they ARE all one big company, I assume they were busy beavers scrubbing any links to Darius.

P.S. I wonder who is doing the prosecution of Techodyne. If its the Feds that bodes well for the SLN's intelligence since Techodyne must have had a good idea about the capabilities of Manticore. OTOH, if its the System I wonder if they'll sandbag the Feds if the feds ever get around to looking for that data.

One of the most interesting things that might be found on Mesa would be Technodyne's assessment of Manticore weapons. If it is a real one and very different from what has been presented on Terra, that would be a really explosive bit of information.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:27 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:I think Techodyne has different "companies" for different systems. The one of Earth got like a 1/3rd of their board arrested last we heard. Which likely means there has been a wipe of assets and a rebirth. GM Motors on Earth had a similar thing happen IRL, although without the criminal element! :lol:

If they ARE all one big company, I assume they were busy beavers scrubbing any links to Darius.

P.S. I wonder who is doing the prosecution of Techodyne. If its the Feds that bodes well for the SLN's intelligence since Techodyne must have had a good idea about the capabilities of Manticore. OTOH, if its the System I wonder if they'll sandbag the Feds if the feds ever get around to looking for that data.

One of the most interesting things that might be found on Mesa would be Technodyne's assessment of Manticore weapons. If it is a real one and very different from what has been presented on Terra, that would be a really explosive bit of information.

Going by how the Technodyne rep on board that BC at Monica was startled, their knowledge/assessment of RMN tech is still a lot less than what was actual at the time and even moreso at the present time on Mesa.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Seeing as though UH snippet #1 took us close to the world of reclamation inside the unicorn belts, where tech was removed from the captured Solly ships. Grasers and molicircs were reclaimed.

Since the Salamander is headed to Solly space anyway, if she is planning on destroying some industry, why not take a crew with her and strip the Solly graveyard??? They can remain there as long as they wish once they fight through the defenses. Which are probably nonexistent considering Solly arrogance.

I just never considered that after each battle there has to be "Cleanup down aisle 1."

I wonder how every scrap of metal, blown from an SD for instance, is accounted for and not left swanning aimlessly about the system and ending up causing damage to orbital space industry or a ship.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bluesqueak   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 am

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Seeing as though UH snippet #1 took us close to the world of reclamation inside the unicorn belts, where tech was removed from the captured Solly ships. Grasers and molicircs were reclaimed.

Since the Salamander is headed to Solly space anyway, if she is planning on destroying some industry, why not take a crew with her and strip the Solly graveyard??? They can remain there as long as they wish once they fight through the defenses. Which are probably nonexistent considering Solly arrogance.

I just never considered that after each battle there has to be "Cleanup down aisle 1."

I wonder how every scrap of metal, blown from an SD for instance, is accounted for and not left swanning aimlessly about the system and ending up causing damage to orbital space industry or a ship.

Asteroid miners, probably. I'd guess that a sensor suite designed to find metal in among a bunch of rocks can easily find post battle scrap. If their captains have got any sense, they'll have headed for somewhere far, far from the warships with the nasty weapons as soon as they came over the hyper limit, and can then set up as scrap merchants as soon as the peace treaty's signed.

If the system concerned hasn't got any asteroid miners, a call out to other systems will probably bring one or two over to mine the new junkyard.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Realise I'm late to this party, but the best description of my reaction to this new blurb is "chomping at the bit". GIMME!!! :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by manty5   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:00 pm

manty5
Midshipman

Thoughts:

"And they have finally killed too many of the people Honor Harrington loves." But where THEY refers to the SLN, which hasn't yet killed many people, not for a lack of trying. So there will be fresh deaths to people Honor cares about. This could be on Beowulf.

About the EE violation, I think the most likely scenario is that the Houdini incident leads the SLN to declare the GA violators of the EE, accusing them of nuking Mesa. They could then massacre:

1. Less-protected Republic worlds.

2. Minor bit-players like Talbott cluster worlds or verge worlds as demonstrations that anyone cozying up to the GA will be considered party to the GA's supposed violations of the EE.

3. The Mesan alignment turns the invasion of Beowulf to a massacre at Beowulf, which the mandarins then retroactively justify as being retaliation for the supposed infractions by the GA.

Finally, about the SLN losing worlds: Isn't that the whole prearranged plan of The Factor? I'd be more surprised if they didn't have defections.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:39 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

manty5 wrote:Thoughts:

"And they have finally killed too many of the people Honor Harrington loves." But where THEY refers to the SLN, which hasn't yet killed many people, not for a lack of trying. So there will be fresh deaths to people Honor cares about. This could be on Beowulf.

About the EE violation, I think the most likely scenario is that the Houdini incident leads the SLN to declare the GA violators of the EE, accusing them of nuking Mesa. They could then massacre:

2. Minor bit-players like Talbott cluster worlds or verge worlds as demonstrations that anyone cozying up to the GA will be considered party to the GA's supposed violations of the EE.

3. The Mesan alignment turns the invasion of Beowulf to a massacre at Beowulf, which the mandarins then retroactively justify as being retaliation for the supposed infractions by the GA.

Finally, about the SLN losing worlds: Isn't that the whole prearranged plan of The Factor? I'd be more surprised if they didn't have defections.

The Edict calls for execution of the people responsible, military and political, for the massacre NOT a genocidal retaliatory strike. The Edict is supposed to prevent people resorting to MAD and genocidal strikes! So the Edict could justify killing some surrendering or captured enemy soldiers, politicians etc. but it would NOT justify any sort of planetary scale massacre. Of course, that's all in blatant violation of the Deneb accords.

However, if Manticore demonstrates that it can go unpunished despite (apparently) violating the Edict, the Edict will no longer have any value and we will get a return to MAD. Which will mean everyone goes back to "Invade us and we bombard your planet, now scram. Your fancy ships won't save your worlds from our stealth doomsday devices." This has a strong leveling effect when it comes to military power. We see this in real life with the N.K. vs. U.S.A. standoff. Honestly, its even worse in Honorverse because the leadership of a world could easily get themselves a well-equipped colony ship and bugger off if things go MAD.

This bodes very badly if any of the Mesa SDF was off on training exercises or the like. Or if Mesa has a rogue bio-engineer who can whip up a biological superweapon.
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
manty5 wrote:Thoughts:

The Edict calls for execution of the people responsible, military and political, for the massacre NOT a genocidal retaliatory strike. The Edict is supposed to prevent people resorting to MAD and genocidal strikes! So the Edict could justify killing some surrendering or captured enemy soldiers, politicians etc. but it would NOT justify any sort of planetary scale massacre. Of course, that's all in blatant violation of the Deneb accords.

However, if Manticore demonstrates that it can go unpunished despite (apparently) violating the Edict, the Edict will no longer have any value and we will get a return to MAD. Which will mean everyone goes back to "Invade us and we bombard your planet, now scram. Your fancy ships won't save your worlds from our stealth doomsday devices." This has a strong leveling effect when it comes to military power. We see this in real life with the N.K. vs. U.S.A. standoff. Honestly, its even worse in Honorverse because the leadership of a world could easily get themselves a well-equipped colony ship and bugger off if things go MAD.

This bodes very badly if any of the Mesa SDF was off on training exercises or the like. Or if Mesa has a rogue bio-engineer who can whip up a biological superweapon.

But Manticore has not violated the Edict. Michelle and fleet did not blow up the bombs.

Why do some people look to blame the good guys for everything? Detweiler set off the bombs himself. A careful exam would show that they had not come from space.

So a big publicity campaign could accuse but the Edicts were not violated.
Post by Peregrinator   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:So a big publicity campaign could accuse but the Edicts were not violated.

Whether they were violated or not is beside the point - the real question is whether the accusation will stick. And it very well may! And while it is true that the EE does not allow for retaliatory strikes, I would not be surprised if the SLN used it as an excuse - nothing like a bit of tu quoque.
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
cthia wrote:Seeing as though UH snippet #1 took us close to the world of reclamation inside the unicorn belts, where tech was removed from the captured Solly ships. Grasers and molicircs were reclaimed.

Asteroid miners, probably. I'd guess that a sensor suite designed to find metal in among a bunch of rocks can easily find post battle scrap. If their captains have got any sense, they'll have headed for somewhere far, far from the warships with the nasty weapons as soon as they came over the hyper limit, and can then set up as scrap merchants as soon as the peace treaty's signed.

If the system concerned hasn't got any asteroid miners, a call out to other systems will probably bring one or two over to mine the new junkyard.
Pardon my bold to call attention.

I wouldn't think that's the case at all. Scanning for metal is going to have the same limitations as scanning for missiles, pods, or other ships. Certainly, trying to find smaller fragments of metal whose momentum has carried it great distances shouldn't be a piece o' cake.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse