Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 95 guests

Ship Classifications

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ship Classifications
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:19 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

WLBjork wrote:
Daryl wrote:Lots of good accurate information there. I'd add just a couple of points. Light cruisers in the Honorverse and here tended to have longer ranges and more endurance than destroyers, and could carry a few marines.
Mind you we got confused in WW2 as HMS Belfast (restored and moored in the Thames), is classified as a light cruiser because it is only 6 inch, but has 12 of them and is 11,500 tons. Bit of a shock for any destroyer that took it on.
Technology moves on and the newest trend is to pod laying SDs, which greatly increases their throw weight, and with Apollo they can control more missiles at greater ranges. Plus lighter warships with pre placed pods can take on many times their tonnage.

Note that none of this has anything to do with the Honorverse. Ships are getting far larger because of the need to have a lot of missiles. There has been relatively little graser action seen here. Why bother when missiles can take out ships 25,000,000 klicks away?

Effectively, the RMN got ride of battleships by making battlecruisers huge. And cruisers are bigger and far more powerful. Note that it was a group of cruisers commanded by Terekhov, a commodore, that wiped out a third of Crandall's fleet.

The capital ships are huge. No more dreadnaughts and not even superdreadnaughts unless they were podlayers. And the newer ones had Apollo, etc.

Note that even the destroyers were damned powerful. They could take out far larger ships.

It's not just the size it's the tech. But it's also the size. The new Nike class is really tough to take down which means it can do a real lot of damage.

It's worth considering that the RN distinguished Cruisers by main armament calibre (i.e. 6" or 8") rather than by "Light" or "Heavy", especially due to the mess-up with tonnage limits from the Washington Naval Treaty.

As for modern RN ships, the Frigates are primarily ASW platforms, whereas the Destroyers are primarily AA platforms. IMO, we really need a 50% increase in deployable ships, but got to keep costs down....
Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

WLBjork wrote:As for modern RN ships, the Frigates are primarily ASW platforms, whereas the Destroyers are primarily AA platforms. IMO, we really need a 50% increase in deployable ships, but got to keep costs down....

I have an idea! We'll build little crappy ships, that cost 30% of the cost an an actual warship, have 50% of the crew and 5% of the firepower and can sometimes run for almost a month between engine overhauls in shipyard. That will save us!
Post by Theemile   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Effectively, the RMN got ride of battleships by making battlecruisers huge. And cruisers are bigger and far more powerful. Note that it was a group of cruisers commanded by Terekhov, a commodore, that wiped out a third of Crandall's fleet.

The capital ships are huge. No more dreadnaughts and not even superdreadnaughts unless they were podlayers. And the newer ones had Apollo, etc.

The RMN was following the trend to get rid of the BBs. the only major power to build modern BBs was Haven, who had built a modern design up through the start of the 1st war. They used the BBs specifically to control their empire - Since nothing a resistance movement could get their hands on could come close to equaling a BB, using them as system control ships freed more expensive Wallers for front line use.

However, Wallers, DNs and SDs, are not that much more expensive in procurement costs or operating costs and give far more firepower. And this is the reason why everyone else got rid of theirs.

The RMN BBs were ~300 years old when retired, and small for their rate (~2 Mtons, or smaller than the Nike BCs) and completey ineffective against a modern foe. They served far beyond their usefully lives, in light of the The SLN getting rid of all their DNs about 200 years ago.

The RMN should have gotten rid of them far earlier, but with a heavy group of defensive forts, 11 DNs and 3 SDs, and no local peir competitiors or threats, there was no reason to replace ships that could easily handle any local competition. And even their their aging force, they were still one of the 10-15 most powerful fleets in the universe in 1850.
Last edited by Theemile on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:03 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

I think the Haven BBs were old. They just had a lot of them and enough manpower to crew them anyhow.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:I think the Haven BBs were old. They just had a lot of them and enough manpower to crew them anyhow.

While the newest class, the Triumphants, have been in production since 1823, A updated version was still in production in 1905:

From Jayne's RHN
There are currently two shipyards producing Triumphants in the People’s Republic, while four others have since switched over to the newer DuQuesne-class superdreadnoughts.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Part of your confusion comes from Manticore (and RHN, IAN, and others) assigning designations based on designed purpose, while the SLN assigns designations by displacement.

What further complicates designations is the variance in combat capability of a given class in different navies; A Roland is a destroyer the size of a light cruiser that has as much combat capability as pre-war heavy cruisers or battle cruisers.

In large part, ship class is determined by armor and weapons installation. Designed mission is another huge factor. Speed and maneuverability is another factor. Intended opponents probably figures into things too.

In short, a Ship is whatever class the owners say it is -- within reason. I doubt anyone is going to take the claim that, "a Nat Turner is an SD," seriously. :mrgreen:
Plus technology changes things up which makes it hard to compare ships of even a couple decades apart during times of great change.

In the Honorverse, got back 60-70 years, and while frigates and destroyers had overlapping tonnage brackets they had wildly difference focuses. A destroyer was much like the earliest torpedo boat destroyers -- they pack a powerful weapons fit for their size, with a good turn of speed, but are too short legged for independent deployment. A frigate is about the same size but carries far fewer weapons in order to have the endurance for long range deployments. A frigate would get crushed in head to head combat with a similar sized destroyer. But, on the other hand, you couldn't send the destroyer out to patrol Silesia without sending a tender along with it to keep it resupplied and repaired.

But the minimum hull size necessary to fit the minimum capable warfighting kit kept growing, so by the start of the series a modern destroyer is big enough (to hold it's weapons) that finding space for the fuel and supplied for far better cruise endurance is a trivial impact - and the deadlier weapons and need for greater defenses make a frigate increasingly less effective and have less of a endurance advantage over the most modern destroyers. So frigates are dropped and DDs take over both roles.

A similar thing almost happened here on Earth where the USN, right after WWII, looked at the size and cost necessary to make a multi-role destroyer for the jet age. They went from the last wartime design, the 2,616 ton Gearing-class destroyer to the 5,600 ton USS Norfolk; before deciding they couldn't afford to build destroyes that big and expensive and dramatically scaled back their requirements to the 2,800 ton Forrest Sherman-class DDs and 3,642 ton Mitscher-class DLs. (And a new Arleigh Burke DD can weigh in around 9,000 tons!)

Different navies do things differently. The current RN uses Destroyer for anti-air focused units (like their brand new Type-45 destroyer) and Frigate for anti-submarine focused units. In theory if the kit needed for ASW required a larger hull than the kit for AAW then the RN would have frigates that are larger than their destroyers.

The USN doesn't quite do things that way, though their Destroyers are AAW/ASW while their cruisers don't have the anti-submarine focus.

Daryl wrote:Lots of good accurate information there. I'd add just a couple of points. Light cruisers in the Honorverse and here tended to have longer ranges and more endurance than destroyers, and could carry a few marines.
Mind you we got confused in WW2 as HMS Belfast (restored and moored in the Thames), is classified as a light cruiser because it is only 6 inch, but has 12 of them and is 11,500 tons. Bit of a shock for any destroyer that took it on.
Technology moves on and the newest trend is to pod laying SDs, which greatly increases their throw weight, and with Apollo they can control more missiles at greater ranges. Plus lighter warships with pre placed pods can take on many times their tonnage.
The US Cleavland class CLs were similar 11,744 ton, 12 6-inch + 12 5-inch. But both classes were a somewhat artificial result of the way the interwar Naval Treaties were written. They're bigger than optimal for a "balanced" 6-inch design but you "wasted" treaty tonnage if you build then lighter, so both CLs and CAs were targeted at 10,000 tons and differed primarily in the size of their guns 6" vs 8" (and 10k tons was too light to have a balanced 8" cruiser with a reasonable number of guns; so those tended to be tin-clad; not armored well enough to stand up to their own guns. (See the post-treaty USN Baltimore-class of 14,500 tons 8" cruisers for what you need for a more balanced armoring)
Post by HungryKing   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

Ok, I am going to continue...
Now before we start talking about types of ships of the wall, and the frigate's role obsolescence need to be covered, and I need to mention the shipyard rules.
The frigate became an obsolete type, likely by circa 1702 pd, and almost certainly by circa 1750 pd (when energy torpedo range was suddenly no longer greater than graser range [assuming, that is, that energy torpedoes ever had range advantages]), which stayed around for policing duties, and for sensor screening. Without a massive explanation, once missile defense started becoming effective, the initial velocity from the missile tube is an ever more important factor for the types of warheads before laserheads, which frigates obviously did not have. Their sensor duties became less important as recon drones evolved, first by growing some types into recon probes, which had on board fusion plants, and thus optionally replacing the outer recon units, while at the same time power storage and impeller tech improved and shrunk the basic drone, meaning the near watch was covered. Then, by the mid 19th century, at the latest, the recon probe's fusion plant could be included in relatively large drones. Which for reason doing with boat bays, were handed by light cruisers and then destroyers. Thus frigates were left with policing duties, which they were not very good at when faced with serious pirates.

Now, onto a brief discussion about the limitations of shipyards and how they effected they various types. BCs and below are usually built in standard shipyards, that simply have some extra equipment. Technically speaking, courier grade equipment is even more demanding that milspec gear, so aside from the equipment to mount internal armor (said gear is not that intricate when all is said and done), a civilian yard can build military vessels, provided they can source the strictly military components and armor, however, military vessels are more stoutly build than standard civilian designs, and thus a given yard is restricted in how big it can build a military vessel. It does without mention that yard sizes varied, and I do not recall that complete mapping rules, but frigates and destroyers can be built anywhere, not every yard can build CAs, and BCs had an historic cap because of this factor, in Honor's time it was around 1.2 mt, not that battle cruisers ever approached such sizes before the PN's Warlords, which mapped to around a 7.8mt freighter. Those vessels still larger required purpose build yards with actual specialized equipment.
I am stopping here for now.
Post by Walks Alone   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:22 am

Walks Alone
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Well, a lot of that went over my head I'm sorry to say... it sounds like a very complicated system, and the fact that not everyone agrees with the definitions, where such definitions even exist makes it worse!
Post by kzt   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:31 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:Well, a lot of that went over my head I'm sorry to say... it sounds like a very complicated system, and the fact that not everyone agrees with the definitions, where such definitions even exist makes it worse!

Different Navies have different rules, and they change over time. A modern US destroyer (Zumwalt) displaces as much as a WW2 heavy cruiser. And a WW2 heavy cruiser actually has guns with ammunition. And WW2 CA's also didn't cost $4.2 billion each.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:41 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When transferring credits, classifying students depend on whether certain courses transfer.

When classifying SLN ships, most skills don't transfer.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse