Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 68 guests

How good are the solarian transtellars?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
How good are the solarian transtellars?
Post by Maldorian   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:42 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

Like the topic says: How good are they?

My problem is Lacoon!

On the first look Lacoon would be a real mess for the transtellars, because of all the time communication needs in Honorverse.

"What? The whormholes are blocked? What should we do? Return to the last planet we stopped? Next bigger habitated planet? Directly to our target in Hyperspace?"

If you try to ask your boss for that a lot of time would pass.

BUT, we shouldn´t forget that manticore was at war. A blockade of the manticore whormholes and the Erewohn one would be a real threat for your buisness.

So, what do you think? Have some, many or most of the transtellars a plan B for their ships?

The blockade of the other whormholes are a real surprise, but the ones in the haven sector are not.
Re: How good are the solarian transtellars?
Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:43 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

The transtellars are not tightly controlled from one point, they are a collection of semi-autonomous business units that have at best weeks long communication delays back to HQ. Think East India Company, not General Electric.

They will do what they think is best, once they figure out what is going on. This may well include ordering new ships, as freighters in the honorverse use well understood 500 year old technology.
Post by ThisName1   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

ThisName1
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

kzt wrote:This may well include ordering new ships, as freighters in the honorverse use well understood 500 year old technology.

Can they order new ships? If the solarian navy's ships of the wall are so useless and need replacement will there be any shipyard space for merchant ships?
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ThisName1 wrote:
kzt wrote:This may well include ordering new ships, as freighters in the honorverse use well understood 500 year old technology.

Can they order new ships? If the solarian navy's ships of the wall are so useless and need replacement will there be any shipyard space for merchant ships?

New SLN ships were still coming off of the assembly line in Shadow of Victory.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by zyffyr   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:02 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

ThisName1 wrote:Can they order new ships? If the solarian navy's ships of the wall are so useless and need replacement will there be any shipyard space for merchant ships?

Before the SLN starts ordering new ships, they will need to figure out just what those ships should be. Ordering more of the ones they already have is exactly as pointless as reactivating the ones in the reserve - which they have already rejected as a waste of money and lives. Until they figure that out and create the actual designs, I can't see a substantial increase in ship production.

Additionally, who says the Transtellars need to restrict themselves to buying from SL yards. Freighters are pretty generic and there have to be plenty of neutral parties who can produce some.
Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Military shipyards are a special case of shipyards, and military shipyards that can make cruisers are a special case of military shipyards, and military shipyards that can build DNs and above are a small subset of the military shipyards that can build cruisers.

For example, in the Confederacy with it's 60 odd systems there were 5 military shipyards. 3 could build cruisers and BCs, two could build destroyers. But pretty much every system in the confederacy had the ability to service freighters and probably half could build freighters.
Post by Fox2!   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

zyffyr wrote:
ThisName1 wrote:Can they order new ships? If the solarian navy's ships of the wall are so useless and need replacement will there be any shipyard space for merchant ships?

Before the SLN starts ordering new ships, they will need to figure out just what those ships should be. Ordering more of the ones they already have is exactly as pointless as reactivating the ones in the reserve - which they have already rejected as a waste of money and lives. Until they figure that out and create the actual designs, I can't see a substantial increase in ship production.

Additionally, who says the Transtellars need to restrict themselves to buying from SL yards. Freighters are pretty generic and there have to be plenty of neutral parties who can produce some.

SL equivalent of the Jones Act?
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

zyffyr wrote:Additionally, who says the Transtellars need to restrict themselves to buying from SL yards. Freighters are pretty generic and there have to be plenty of neutral parties who can produce some.

Fox2! wrote:SL equivalent of the Jones Act?

Probably not. If there were such a regulation, or even punitive tariffs on non-SL shipping, Manticore would never have claimed 2/3 of the League's shipping.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by pnakasone   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:50 pm

pnakasone
Captain of the List

The problem for getting more freighters is that it is very rare for shipyards to be idle. Most ships are order years in advanced of construction.

How much slack is in the SL civilian ship building industry?

How long would it take to increase civilian shipyard capacity and production to begin to produce enough freighters to really effect the current shortage of ships?
Post by HungryKing   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:53 pm

HungryKing
Captain (Junior Grade)

First of all not all transstellars possess shipping interests, most solarian freight appears to be handled by a relatively small number of shipping cartels, most of whom actually sub-contract an extremely large portion their carrying capacity. As for penalties for non solarian shipping it would not work, Manticorans would start using perfectly legitimate Beowulfan flags.

As for ordering new ships, the production turn around is longer than a year, even if all the parts, and slips, are available.
As for slack, it exists, but the controlling factor is actually the components. Even in the Core there are systems that can't make impellars or starship fusion plants.

Return to Honorverse