Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

System and Battle Maps

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: System and Battle Maps
Post by tlb   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps for all Midship-persons we should have a standardized warning about certain dead topics that ought not to be raised. Off hand these are the ones that I can recall:
1. Do not speculate on the of frigates by any major navy - Torch using them as training tools is the limit of what is okay.
2. Do not speculate on a new use for the grav lance, RFC might wish he never introduced it. RFC is short for runsforcelery which is the name Mr. Weber uses in the forum.
3. Do not use verbal abuse in an argument; people have been kicked out of the forum for that.
4. Do not use any example from current politics in a argument; I know this is true for US politics; but not sure about UK or Australia, since I have not seen that happen. Anyway Duckk, the system administrator, will close the thread against any further postings. It can be interesting to go to old areas and see what threads have Duckk as the last poster (although sometimes it was just to answer a question).
5. Do not try to think of uses for all the captured Solarian ships. But we know from one snippet that they are being scrapped in the next books, except for things like grasers that are still usable.

I am sure there are many more, but am drawing a blank. Here are some style pointers.
1. Use the preview button after any edit before pressing submit.
2. Be careful of the square brackets that contain "quote" to start quoted text and "/quote" that ends it. Otherwise it will look as though the wrong person wrote something.
Post by Walks Alone   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Walks Alone
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Everyone starts as a midshipman, ratings are earned by you number of posts.

I figured, and I'm not taking it personally. But I did notice.

I've also felt an integrated timeline would help me keep track of events.

Do you mean a battle timeline, rather than a series timeline? This could tie in with the maps...

Ships can only accelerate in the "forward" direction.

How come? Is there a fundamental difference in the orientation or function of the impeller rings?

1. Do not speculate on the of frigates by any major navy - Torch using them as training tools is the limit of what is okay.

I'm more likely to comment on how LACs often seem to act as destroyers, and destroyers act as cruisers, and occasionally in the SI series, as wallers.

3. Do not use verbal abuse in an argument; people have been kicked out of the forum for that.

That's a difficult one when dealing with some people... I've come across people who are offended if you sneeze.

4. Do not use any example from current politics in a argument

Roger that! I tend to be more of political theorist anyway, and when it comes to modern political movements... I don't think they belong in science fiction, and I often go to Sci-Fi to escape them. In fact, that's why I left the last group I was part of.

5. Do not try to think of uses for all the captured Solarian ships.

Paperweights?
Post by Annachie   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:
Annachie has Ann or Anna as a root.

Not unless she's a lesbian :P

Actually, I think it's a political reference... being a homophone for "anarchy" and all...

Not originally. But I suspect I've grown into the reference over the years :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Walks Alone   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm

Walks Alone

Good afternoon, its nice to meet you! Now you make me wonder what it was originally? :)

[Edit: I guess my middy cruise is over lol!]
Post by Theemile   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Perhaps for all Midship-persons we should have a standardized warning about certain dead topics that ought not to be raised. Off hand these are the ones that I can recall:
2. Do not speculate on a new use for the grav lance, RFC might wish he never introduced it. RFC is short for runsforcelery which is the name Mr. Weber uses in the forum.
4. Do not use any example from current politics in a argument; I know this is true for US politics; but not sure about UK or Australia, since I have not seen that happen. Anyway Duckk, the system administrator, will close the thread against any further postings. It can be interesting to go to old areas and see what threads have Duckk as the last poster (although sometimes it was just to answer a question).
5. Do not try to think of uses for all the captured Solarian ships. But we know from one snippet that they are being scrapped in the next books, except for things like grasers that are still usable.

I am sure there are many more, but am drawing a blank. Here are some style pointers.
1. Use the preview button after any edit before pressing submit.
2. Be careful of the square brackets that contain "quote" to start quoted text and "/quote" that ends it. Otherwise it will look as though the wrong person wrote something.

All that, except for the Frigates and Solarian Ships is in the Forum rules stickied at the top of the thread.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:
Everyone starts as a midshipman, ratings are earned by you number of posts.

I figured, and I'm not taking it personally. But I did notice.

I've also felt an integrated timeline would help me keep track of events.

Do you mean a battle timeline, rather than a series timeline? This could tie in with the maps...

Ships can only accelerate in the "forward" direction.

How come? Is there a fundamental difference in the orientation or function of the impeller rings?

I'm more likely to comment on how LACs often seem to act as destroyers, and destroyers act as cruisers, and occasionally in the SI series, as wallers.

That's a difficult one when dealing with some people... I've come across people who are offended if you sneeze.

4. Do not use any example from current politics in a argument

Roger that! I tend to be more of political theorist anyway, and when it comes to modern political movements... I don't think they belong in science fiction, and I often go to Sci-Fi to escape them. In fact, that's why I left the last group I was part of.

5. Do not try to think of uses for all the captured Solarian ships.

Paperweights?

There are several fan made timelines in the downloads section at the top of the screen. One of our members (SWM) has a website with strategic maps at different team chops in the series. The last I saw he was a little behind, but everything up through mid 1921 was covered. I don't have the link here, but I will post it later.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Annachie   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:13 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
All that, except for the Frigates and Solarian Ships is in the Forum rules stickied at the top of the thread.

Even that rule gets ignored for original, funny, ideas.

Not that there's many left unsaid by now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Walks Alone   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:02 am

Walks Alone

Theemile wrote:There are several fan made timelines in the downloads section at the top of the screen.

I actually made my own guide to the order in which I should read the books... but I messed around a bit with the series titles, and I moved a couple of books from the Main Series to the Saganami Island Series.

I also use this timeline for events rather than simply the book order.
http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/timeline/Harrington
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:Just because you didn't notice something doesn't make you inadequate. Didn't Honor say something about seeing something and thinking it's something else? And I might have gotten it wrong after all :) Or we might both be right.

Hmm... distinguishing between the bow and the stern... is there any reason there has to be a difference? Aren't the fore and aft impeller rings the same?

I actually have been referring to Maxx's drawings for quite some time now... and I hunger for more :)

https://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks for the much better link to Maxx's material.

What do you mean there's no difference between the bow and the stern? If there isn't, I'll never get a ship! LOL

Seriously, I thought the bow was a much bigger hammerhead.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Walks Alone   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Walks Alone

cthia wrote:What do you mean there's no difference between the bow and the stern? If there isn't, I'll never get a ship! LOL

Seriously, I thought the bow was a much bigger hammerhead.

I didn't mean to say there isn't a difference, I asked why there has to be a difference? We're not flying in atmosphere, and the main drive units are at both ends of the ship. Why does one end have to be the "front"? It would be far more convenient, say if you had damage at one end of the ship and were chasing someone, to flip over and chase them with the other end.

Return to Honorverse