Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], phillies and 47 guests

System and Battle Maps

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: System and Battle Maps
Post by Joat42   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 am

Joat42
Admiral

You can also find some maps at http://www.gotshifted.com/honorverseglo ... SSARY.html

It's Sawa that manages those maps but there has been very little to update the last years.

He is active sporadically on the forum here.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Walks Alone   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 am

Walks Alone
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

It's possible that when they refer to "turnover", they're referring to the wedge itself turning over, rather than the ship, but I accept that that's how it works... the ship has to turnover, the wedge can't be reversed.

Also, I'd like to point out that during the age of sail, turnover wasn't even a thing... even a ship that is slowing down is still pointing its bow in the direction that it's going, so by that logic, it would make more sense for it to just be the wedge that's turning over. This way, you can still have the bow pointing towards the enemy.

Ad hominem attacks are rarely in good taste. There are better ways.

The trouble is, that when whatever I say offends someone, and not saying anything also offends someone, there's no way out... so if there are better ways, I can't think of them.

One interpretation of what Walks Alone said is that some people will take a comment as verbal abuse that most people would not.
Fortunately the standard to be met is set by Duckk, not by overly sensitive people.

This is exactly what I meant.

I wouldn't like to have your desk, I can't imagine how long it would take to walk around it... :lol:

I didn't say they had to be whole... you could break the ships down into small cubes, and sell them off... "Own part of the great Solarian Battlefleet, right there on your desk!" War merchandise lol.

My father told me that as a child during WWII, he would collect spent shells and bomb fragments... Perhaps grown-ups might not be so interested, but children might be, lol!

One last thing... Sawa's maps are EXCELLENT! They present a much clearer picture of the various campaigns!
Post by phillies   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:07 am

phillies
Admiral

tlb wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote: He wanted (initially) ship combat based loosely on Napoleonic age of sail and you don't slam HMS Victory into reverse - I don't think the mast and rigging is laid out or stressed for it.

Except that a square rigged ship can go in reverse, just not do it very well. It is true that you cannot slam into reverse, or out of reverse.

Hornblower does it (I think in Captain Hornblower) to free a fouled anchor. Once the ship is moving backwards, Hornblower has all sail taken in before the anchor chain jerks on the anchor.

Imagine the wind is coming from the side, if you shift the yards so the ends on that side are slanted ahead of the mast then the sails will push the ship forward; but if you slant the yards the other way then the thrust is toward the stern and the ship backs up.
This is something a fore and aft sail plan can not do, but fore and aft can sail closer into the wind than a square rigger.

Harland's Seamanship discusses this in great detail. He provides an example of taking a square-rigger up a narrow river, including points where the ship was being sailed due sideways and being turned without translation. Of course, the wind had to be favorable. There was a US vs UK naval engagement, I think War of 1812,as in which the American ship raked the British from the stern and then threw the ship into reverse and raked the British ship again.
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When sailing, whether you tack, jibe or bear off (according to the wind) is akin to the flipping of Honorverse ships to decelerate.

Or simply start flapping the sails -- trimming them so wind passes through with no effect. Provides instant breaking, akin to taking your foot off the accelerator. Or, the flipping of H'verse ships.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Annachie   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:00 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I always figured that since the wedge shape was different front to back that the emitters for the wedge were hard engineered to create that shape with maximum efficiency.
This would be due to alpha node replacement being expensive enough that efficiency gains in life span beats out cost increase from to double up on foreward weaponry etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Walks Alone   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:47 am

Walks Alone
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:When sailing, whether you tack, jibe or bear off (according to the wind) is akin to the flipping of Honorverse ships to decelerate.

Or simply start flapping the sails -- trimming them so wind passes through with no effect. Provides instant breaking, akin to taking your foot off the accelerator. Or, the flipping of H'verse ships.

Yes, and you still are facing in the same direction when slowing down... this happens basically everywhere except in space.
Post by tlb   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote: Harland's Seamanship discusses this in great detail. He provides an example of taking a square-rigger up a narrow river, including points where the ship was being sailed due sideways and being turned without translation. Of course, the wind had to be favorable. There was a US vs UK naval engagement, I think War of 1812,as in which the American ship raked the British from the stern and then threw the ship into reverse and raked the British ship again.

I do not think you are describing this action, so here could be another example:
The captains of USS CONSTITUTION, and the men-of-war HMS CYANE and HMS LEVANT, had no way of knowing that the War of 1812 had ended three days prior to this battle.
Sailing off the coast of Madeira, Spain, “Old Ironsides” encountered two smaller British ships in the afternoon. Outfitted with 52 guns, USS CONSTITUTION began exchanging fire with both ships, the 24-gun HMS CYANE (commanded by Capt. Thomas Gordon Falcon), as it sailed in formation behind the 18-gun HMS LEVANT (commanded by Capt. George Douglas). What followed would be one of the most brilliant examples of seamanship and tactics in the war.
In his official report, Capt. Stewart described the battle’s beginnings, at 6:05 p.m., “…commenced action by broadsides, both ships returning fire with great spirit for about 12 minutes, then the fire of the enemy beginning to slacken, and the great column of smoke collected under our lee, induced us to cease our fire to ascertain their positions and conditions.”
When the heavy gunpowder smoke that enclosed the three vessels cleared, USS CONSTITUTION was sailing parallel to HMS LEVANT, and delivered a broadside that prompted HMS LEVANT to disengage for repairs. At about that time, Capt. Stewart noticed HMS CYANE coming up on USS CONSTITUTION's stern. To avoid being raked, Captain Stewart ordered his men on the masts and the yards to "back sails," or sail the ship backward into a position where he delivered a crippling broadside to HMS CYANE. Capt. Falcon attempted to disengage, but after being raked again, had little choice but to strike HMS CYANE’s colors at 6:45 p.m.
Damaged but not yet defeated, HMS LEVANT returned at around 8:40 p.m. After 90 minutes of pursuit and at a range of about 50 yards with “Old Ironsides,” HMS LEVANT struck her colors shortly after 10 p.m.
With the two prize ships in company, Stewart turned his British prisoners over to the Portuguese in the Cape Verdes, but British frigates recaptured HMS LEVANT shortly afterward. HMS CYANE was sailed to America, where she was purchased by the U.S. Navy and recommissioned USS CYANE, and served in the fleet until in 1827.
Post by n7axw   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:03 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Does this help anyone?

Honorverse.wiki.com Look for category:maps

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Walks Alone wrote:I was just thinking, one thing that I would find very useful while reading would be if there was some kind of animated map of the battle or the star system while the action is happening...

I try to imagine it, but it would be much easier if I had my own holotank like the characters do.

I was wondering if anyone has ever made or considered making such a thing?

I was tickled pink when I stumbled across this list of Honorverse battles.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse