Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 66 guests

[spoilers]What happens when Shannon Foraker meets...

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [spoilers]What happens when Shannon Foraker meets...
Post by saber964   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:06 pm

saber964
Admiral

Valen123456 wrote:
Kater" quote="GofyTomcat1 wrote:SNIP
let me know when you finish.

Shannon will never get distracted by a personal relation - neither with man nor with woman. Shannon lives and breaths for her work. ;)

IMHO who will lead a dev-tem is a political question .- not one of who is better at the job (I am reding the novels with a delay due to the fact I have to wait until they are available in German ;))

Neither side will be happy that critical tech ís researched with "the enemy" - moreso under the "lead" of the enemy.

Both governments will face stiff opposition over this issue.

I believe that - for some time at least - we will get two separate (three - Grayson on its own? - they might not be happy about the warming relations between the Manties and Haven) teams who try to figure out whats in the new tech.

I bet the "traitor" will get a nice pile of "bonus-lightyears" travelling back and forth ;)

Ultimately both (all) teams will have to sit together to compare results.

I would not be surprised if those "new" technologies will be actually "old" tech used in a new way ;)

Actually Graysons are far more likely to welcome and treat Havenites much more pleasantly than most Manticorans. Remember quite a large number of former Havenite officers defected to the Allies side and wound up working in the Grayson Navy were they were less mistrusted, even offered Grayson citizenship and High Office. Alfredo Yu, a skilled pre-war officer defected before the war and is now the High Admiral of the Grayson Navy. Abigail Huerns noted in one book "you Manties tend to view Haven as the fount of all evil in the universe", and the main reason the GA actually works is that so many of both sides High Command respect each other so well. However they are still working out all the kinks and there maybe some trouble in the future as a result of old wounds.

I agree about the "old in a new way" argument though because it effectively has already happened. The first piece of Havenite/Manticoran joint work is the "Mycroft" star-system defense platforms, which is basically Manticoran tech being deployed in a Havenite developed manner.[/quote]

Alfredo Yu is not High Admiral he is de facto CO Protectors Own. The current HADM is Judah Yanakov. Abigail Hearns is a Grayson born and bread she is the daughter of Steadholder Aaron Hearns Steadholder Owens. The person you might be referring to is Warner Caslet who is currently CO of BatRon 1 Protectors Own IIRC.
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:
Thirdbase wrote:
Just what we need, Foraker and Harkness getting into a contest to see who can blow up a warship in the most unusual way.

Lol, now that could get REALLY entertaining!

Have them start it at the end of one novel so we have all the time until the next novel comes out to speculate on what they will come up with and set up a betting pool on who wins with side pools on what they come up with to win.
Post by Tenshinai   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:

Have them start it at the end of one novel so we have all the time until the next novel comes out to speculate on what they will come up with and set up a betting pool on who wins with side pools on what they come up with to win.

Ack! That would be evil! :mrgreen:
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:41 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Don't kid yourselves.

They're going to get together and discover that they both did it the SAME way, with variations.

Horace will then immediately determine that it is time to introduce THIS girl to his son...er...commander...er...protégé...er...friend.

dreamrider
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Tenshinai wrote:
Roguevictory wrote:

Ack! That would be evil! :mrgreen:

Harkness has a ways to go to top Foraker's destruction of the State Sec SD divisions she blew up with a single keystroke (look Ma! No missiles fired!).
Post by dreamrider   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
Harkness has a ways to go to top Foraker's destruction of the State Sec SD divisions she blew up with a single keystroke (look Ma! No missiles fired!).

C'mon, y'all know how Shannon's mind works. She takes a proof-of-concept idea and runs with it and twists it until it screams for mercy and joins her team.

Has it never occurred to any of y'all that Shannon SAW what Harkness did to the Tepes. Moreover, she SAW the telemetry data. She probably still has it (except for a few moments worth that Tourville accidentally erased.)

Could Shannon the Tech Witch have left that little mystery alone? She would have worried that bone until she could taste marrow in her sleep. Until she could reliably reproduce that spectacular effect, and do it better and faster...and remotely.

Oops.

dreamrider
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
Zakharra wrote:

C'mon, y'all know how Shannon's mind works. She takes a proof-of-concept idea and runs with it and twists it until it screams for mercy and joins her team.

Has it never occurred to any of y'all that Shannon SAW what Harkness did to the Tepes. Moreover, she SAW the telemetry data. She probably still has it (except for a few moments worth that Tourville accidentally erased.)

Could Shannon the Tech Witch have left that little mystery alone? She would have worried that bone until she could taste marrow in her sleep. Until she could reliably reproduce that spectacular effect, and do it better and faster...and remotely.

Oops.

dreamrider
Now that's an interesting idea.
Hmm, I wonder how often shuttles or pinnaces from the StateSec ships visited the normal flagship?

That could give a docking bay worker a chance at physical access to StateSec small craft - or at a minimum there should be computer access to them when aboard. Shannon might have sabotaged them as available until she had at least one subverted craft on each StateSec ship. Then send the command and wedges activate. Tepes fate repeated many times over.

You couldn't directly duplicate the approach used there, since the pilots would rather quickly notice their sensors were disconnected from the computer; but with more time you should be able to build a malicious program capable of simulating the same effect upon demand.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:Now that's an interesting idea.
Hmm, I wonder how often shuttles or pinnaces from the StateSec ships visited the normal flagship?

Unlikely since textev says Shannoon sent a command to tactical plans she had uploaded to the State-Sec ships.

I suppose it wouldn't be much more difficult to command missile drives to activate in the magazine than it would be to command a premature detonation of a magazine full of nuclear warheads. :roll:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Dafmeister   » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:08 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

I don't think you could bring up the missile drives in the magazines as the capacitor rings aren't charged until the missiles are sent to the tubes.
Post by crewdude48   » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:08 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Dafmeister wrote:I don't think you could bring up the missile drives in the magazines as the capacitor rings aren't charged until the missiles are sent to the tubes.

No, capacitor missiles are charged while in the loading systems. Fusion missiles are only ignited in the launch tube due to ... bad things happening if there is an issue. This is why capacitor missiles have a lower launch cycle time than fusion birds.

Return to Honorverse