Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

What is Earth's government

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What is Earth's government
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:Harvard University Bogota may be a branch campus. Like the University of Washington and Washington State University both have campuses in Spokane WA. Even though WSU's main campus is 80 miles away and UW is close to 300 miles.

It may have started as a branch campus or just extension courses, such as University of Maryland offers at almost any US military base. But in the context of a post-apocalyptic Earth, Bogota just might have been the only surviving location with any claim to the name "Harvard."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

I would assume that after the Final War totally ruining Earth I would expect the intact government centers would be located off Earth. As far as we know the plagues only got as far as Luna and Mars. There was probably plenty of functioning government elsewhere.

Earth is part of Sol's government now.

feyhunde wrote:Chicago was left as the defacto capital, and Harvard seems to have moved to Bogota.
I don't remember being told Chicago became Sol's or Earth's capital. Its the League's capital, but that doesn't mean its the capital of Sol or Earth. It could be the capital of Sol, the capital of Earth both, or neither. Its also possible that it's not even officially part of Sol's territory! Australia did this for their capital city, carving out an enclave for Canberra. Washington D.C. is a similar case.

Unless I missed something, which has been known to happen.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

quite possibly a cat wrote:I don't remember being told Chicago became Sol's or Earth's capital. Its the League's capital, but that doesn't mean its the capital of Sol or Earth. It could be the capital of Sol, the capital of Earth both, or neither. Its also possible that it's not even officially part of Sol's territory! Australia did this for their capital city, carving out an enclave for Canberra. Washington D.C. is a similar case.

Unless I missed something, which has been known to happen.

Not surprising you missed it - it's a very brief reference in From The Highlands.

Her apartment was located near the very top of one of the Solarian capital's most expensive apartment complexes.
Cathy was looking down on the city from well over a mile above street level. Insofar as the term 'street level' could be applied to Chicago that is.

Emphasis mine. Within the series, Chicago's main importance is as the capital of the League - so it's usually referred to as the League capital. But that quote shows that it's also the capital of the Sol system.
Post by feyhunde   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:54 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

saber964 wrote:
Harvard University Bogota may be a branch campus. Like the University of Washington and Washington State University both have campuses in Spokane WA. Even though WSU's main campus is 80 miles away and UW is close to 300 miles.

WSU also has branches in Tri-Cities and Vancouver, with Tri-Cities sometimes being the official location of professors doing work at PNNL/Hanford. That happens to be where I burned out of grad school...
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

feyhunde wrote:
saber964 wrote:
Harvard University Bogota may be a branch campus. Like the University of Washington and Washington State University both have campuses in Spokane WA. Even though WSU's main campus is 80 miles away and UW is close to 300 miles.

WSU also has branches in Tri-Cities and Vancouver, with Tri-Cities sometimes being the official location of professors doing work at PNNL/Hanford. That happens to be where I burned out of grad school...

Many people are still shocked to learn that Wake Forest University is no longer in the city of Wake Forest, NC but in Winston-Salem, NC. They were solicited there by the need for more space to grow and finances among other things. Big money, the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco empire, lured them there and it was a practical move, seeing as though the city's medical school, an extension of the school in WF, was a boon and Winston-Salem's Baptist Hospital was renown even then. Working in tandem with the university it became Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. Which is huge now. In reputation and size.

Harvard's school could have undergone something similar. Also, in light of the Final Wars, it may have had to relocate, or was a satellite campus that survived, alone, in the face of the Final Wars. As far as something as horrendous as the Final Wars...The truth?...

We probably can't handle the truth.

The Final Wars can probably explain lots of inexplicabilities.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

feyhunde wrote:Ok let's throw in what we know:

There's at least 4 powerblocs at the start of the war. Asian Confederacy, Ukraine, Western Europe, and the Americas.

Each contributes to the mess. The AC and Ukraine have transhuman super soldiers with god complexes. Western Europe unleashed bioweapons, and the Western Hemisphere powers used weaponized nanotech.

Chicago was left as the defacto capital, and Harvard seems to have moved to Bogota.

I'm guessing by the time the rescue fleet got to Earth, there was little functioning government, with the Americas seeming to have survived better. We do know that the rescue efforts became the core of the League. But this was long before the league became perverted into a tool of oppression. We also know it took nearly 500 years for recovery to take place.

I'm going to say the major national governments effectively collapsed. Regional autonomy was defacto until the rescue fleet managed to cobble together something.

Given the weapons used I’d expect organized governments larger than a town would collapse. You lose the power grid and internet to nuclear strikes on major urban area combined with no power and the repeated EMP attacks would have destroyed more than 99% of non-hardened electronics and essentially all radios. So no vehicles more advanced than a 1960s or 70s car would work.

Everyone in an area without surface water dies of thirst when the pumps fail. Then the collapse of food distribution and mechanized agriculture. And things get really ugly.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Not exactly.

Decent rainfall areas with tanks, pumps and solar power, windmills.

Lots of ways to get water in the right areas.

Even in cities.

If you set up before hand of course.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:Not exactly.

Even in cities.

You can also do something like be living on Ceres and laughing at the stupid barbarians stuck down in the gravity well!
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:

Even in cities.

You can also do something like be living on Ceres and laughing at the stupid barbarians stuck down in the gravity well!

We know so little about this that any discussion is a joke. Harvard Bogota might just be a branch or the real thing.

We know very little and we probably won't get to learn a lot more.
Post by kzt   » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:07 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Even in cities.

You know what the average rainfall in LA in June is? Zero mm. But if you hold out until July you get rewarded with an average rainfall of zero mm. And the average summer evaporation exceeds the average depth of swimming pools in LA.

Return to Honorverse