Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

What is Earth's government

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What is Earth's government
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:37 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

Rincewind wrote:[snip]. On another point, ever since I read the description of the Solarian League in Storm from the Shadows I always thought that it was based on the EU. Nothing I have read since has shaken me in that conviction, especially when I see how the EU as a whole reacted to Brexit or Spain's reaction to the Catalan call for a referendum.

Whole thing is based roughly (loosely?) on the Horatio Hornblower series, Haven=France; Manticore = England, Wales and Scotland.

Earthgov isn't particularly relevant to the advancement of the plot. There hasn't been any mention of it for that reason. It may become more relevant, therefore worthy of note, as the SL disintegrates.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Rincewind wrote:[snip]. On another point, ever since I read the description of the Solarian League in Storm from the Shadows I always thought that it was based on the EU. Nothing I have read since has shaken me in that conviction, especially when I see how the EU as a whole reacted to Brexit or Spain's reaction to the Catalan call for a referendum.

Whole thing is based roughly (loosely?) on the Horatio Hornblower series, Haven=France; Manticore = England, Wales and Scotland.

Earthgov isn't particularly relevant to the advancement of the plot. There hasn't been any mention of it for that reason. It may become more relevant, therefore worthy of note, as the SL disintegrates.

It is far closer to the UN. Each planet pretty well runs itself. Officially, it is a very loose League (remember League of Nations?). Times have changed. But the bureaucracy seems strongest on Terra.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

It is far closer to the UN. Each planet pretty well runs itself. Officially, it is a very loose League (remember League of Nations?). Times have changed. But the bureaucracy seems strongest on Terra.

Well, that gets a bit sticky. See there is the UN and then there is something called the EU. And, at last look, EVERY country in the EU had a seat in the UN. The mere suggestion that any group of countries in the EU might be colluding to influence UN resolutions is not to be countenanced. The EU and the several SOVERIGNE contries that make it up at totaly different and differnt rules apply. Have fun.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:

Well, that gets a bit sticky. See there is the UN and then there is something called the EU. And, at last look, EVERY country in the EU had a seat in the UN. The mere suggestion that any group of countries in the EU might be colluding to influence UN resolutions is not to be countenanced. The EU and the several SOVERIGNE contries that make it up at totaly different and differnt rules apply. Have fun.

Perhaps you should have waited to make this on April First. The EU is to a limited degree fractured and almost all the countries within it have political parties dedicated to leaving it.
Post by pappilon   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 am

pappilon
Rear Admiral

:arrow:
ldwechsler wrote:Perhaps you should have waited to make this on April First. The EU is to a limited degree fractured and almost all the countries within it have political parties dedicated to leaving it.

Think UN with the core worlds being the Security Council Permanent members, any one of them can veto any UN resolution. I know the analogy is maybe 80%, but here we are.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

pappilon wrote::arrow:
ldwechsler wrote:Perhaps you should have waited to make this on April First. The EU is to a limited degree fractured and almost all the countries within it have political parties dedicated to leaving it.

Think UN with the core worlds being the Security Council Permanent members, any one of them can veto any UN resolution. I know the analogy is maybe 80%, but here we are.

That's the closest analogy we are probably going to get. That and the depth the SL Bureaucracy has sunk to in kleptrocray and graft while mouthing platitudes about Peace, The Children and the Rule of (their) Laws and protecting people everywhere from themselves and only the Buacracy's own clients can get to rule places or take over others- for their own good, of course.
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:45 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:

While the naval tactics of broadside warfare and the "wall of battle" mirror the Napoloenic era warfare, I never saw a real resemblence in the politics.

Rincewind, I haven't been in Europe since '88, but to me the league is more like a cross between Hanseatic League (aggressive militaristic trade monopolies) and the League of Nations. YMMV--I did two tours in Germany, but never saw a Euro. . .

Rob
Post by Theemile   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:57 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
pappilon wrote:

While the naval tactics of broadside warfare and the "wall of battle" mirror the Napoloenic era warfare, I never saw a real resemblence in the politics.

Rincewind, I haven't been in Europe since '88, but to me the league is more like a cross between Hanseatic League (aggressive militaristic trade monopolies) and the League of Nations. YMMV--I did two tours in Germany, but never saw a Euro. . .

Rob

Pretty much the entire Overthrow of the Legislaturists is right out of the out of a history book of the French Revolution - right down to the planning of the overthrow in a tennis court. And names like Rob S. Pierre = Robbes Pierre. McQueen was supposed to be a Napoleon analogue.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
pappilon wrote:

Rob

Pretty much the entire Overthrow of the Legislaturists is right out of the out of a history book of the French Revolution - right down to the planning of the overthrow in a tennis court. And names like Rob S. Pierre = Robbes Pierre. McQueen was supposed to be a Napoleon analogue.[/quote]

Yes, to both of the analogues. But the League is a UN with some real power. And the power is not defined because the bureaucracy just does what it wants.
Post by pappilon   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:01 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Pretty much the entire Overthrow of the Legislaturists is right out of the out of a history book of the French Revolution - right down to the planning of the overthrow in a tennis court. And names like Rob S. Pierre = Robbes Pierre. McQueen was supposed to be a Napoleon analogue.

Yes, to both of the analogues. But the League is a UN with some real power. And the power is not defined because the bureaucracy just does what it wants.[/quote]

Yes, as I stated, UN with the peacekeeping forces on steroids. Oh, yeah and the authority to collect member dues such as they are and what there are of them.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

Return to Honorverse