Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Joat42 and 43 guests

Beauty and the Beast

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Beauty and the Beast
Post by zyffyr   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:16 pm

zyffyr
Lieutenant Commander

Randomiser wrote:I seriously doubt he did. That's just purple prose. After all when OBS was written the series masterplan called for Honor to die during 1st Manticore, in which case a lot of the development of her empathic abilities would have had much less plot utility and so might well never have happened. Things change when a series extends over so many years and other writers get involved in it.

The stated reason for the change was RFC realizing that the events of Crown Of Slaves (from 2003) had pushed events sufficiently forward that switching generations wasn't going to be workable. Honor's burgeoning abilities were a significant plot point at least as early as In Enemy Hands (1997).

I seriously doubt that the change in her fate has anything to do with it.
Re: Beauty and the Beast
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

zyffyr wrote:
Randomiser wrote:I seriously doubt he did. That's just purple prose. After all when OBS was written the series masterplan called for Honor to die during 1st Manticore, in which case a lot of the development of her empathic abilities would have had much less plot utility and so might well never have happened. Things change when a series extends over so many years and other writers get involved in it.

The stated reason for the change was RFC realizing that the events of Crown Of Slaves (from 2003) had pushed events sufficiently forward that switching generations wasn't going to be workable. Honor's burgeoning abilities were a significant plot point at least as early as In Enemy Hands (1997).

I seriously doubt that the change in her fate has anything to do with it.

A couple of points: Honor began to realize her empathic abilities in Honor of the Queen and even then it was a bit slow to fully unfold.

As for her parents: She left home at 17 for the Academy. She was likely to be somewhat self-centered like all teens with the addition of being involved with Nimitz. Her parents might never had told her of their connection.

Return to Honorverse