Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

What happened to Commander Hope?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
What happened to Commander Hope?
Post by Eagleeye   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

I just reread Shadow of Saganami, and I wondered: What happened to the Commander, who Terekhov was forced to relieve from command of HMS Vigilant, before he sailed to Monica? He sent her back to Spindle aboard a dispatch boat, but after that ... Does someone know something about the things which happened down the road in her case? Was she beached? Or forced to leave the service?
Re: What happened to Commander Hope?
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:I just reread Shadow of Saganami, and I wondered: What happened to the Commander, who Terekhov was forced to relieve from command of HMS Vigilant, before he sailed to Monica? He sent her back to Spindle aboard a dispatch boat, but after that ... Does someone know something about the things which happened down the road in her case? Was she beached? Or forced to leave the service?

I think she will be one of those hanging threats that never is handled. She seems irrelevant.
Post by dscott8   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 am

dscott8
Commodore

ldwechsler wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:I just reread Shadow of Saganami, and I wondered: What happened to the Commander, who Terekhov was forced to relieve from command of HMS Vigilant, before he sailed to Monica? He sent her back to Spindle aboard a dispatch boat, but after that ... Does someone know something about the things which happened down the road in her case? Was she beached? Or forced to leave the service?

I think she will be one of those hanging threats that never is handled. She seems irrelevant.

Hanging THREAT? After being cashiered from the service, eight months of working at McDonald's on Gryphon causes her to grab a flechette gun and shoot up the mall?
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

She's got to be around somewhere. Otherwise the mission would have been completely hopeless.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:25 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

If the Opposition gains power and decides to start cleaning out criminals from the military/government she'd make a perfect person to be on the jury for military tribunals. Remember there wasn't a declared war with Mesa either! Henke and everyone who supported Henke could be added to the chopping block.
Post by Kensai   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Kensai
Ensign

quite possibly a cat wrote:If the Opposition gains power and decides to start cleaning out criminals from the military/government she'd make a perfect person to be on the jury for military tribunals. Remember there wasn't a declared war with Mesa either! Henke and everyone who supported Henke could be added to the chopping block.

I suspect, after the outright errors in judgement the Opposition has done, along with the very high profile incidents involving their membership/leadership against Ms Harrington-Alexander....

I do not think they will ever have near the influence/success for a long time.

Granted, this is RFC's universe we are enjoying... so anything possible.

I just sincerely doubt the amount of traction needed politically is in the offing for a good long (20+ years) time.
John T.

aka The Philosophical Kensai

"Master your craft lest it master you."
Post by glott   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

quite possibly a cat wrote:If the Opposition gains power and decides to start cleaning out criminals from the military/government she'd make a perfect person to be on the jury for military tribunals. Remember there wasn't a declared war with Mesa either! Henke and everyone who supported Henke could be added to the chopping block.

Bold mine.

Does that include the Queen?
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:53 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

glott wrote:

Bold mine.

Does that include the Queen?

First the quote should be taken like this: "Henke and everyone [subject to military tribunals who lacks some form of immunity] who [materially] supported Henke [in her actions in Mesa] could be added to the chopping block."

That doesn't currently include the Queen because she hasn't supported Henke in Mesa. Henke made sure the Queen could straight up disown the actions. If they let a Solly nation take over and mete out punishments that would pretty clearly show a total lack of support for Henke. One who is leaving the League and hates Manpower wouldn't have reason to attempt a frame-up or cover-up.

Its also possible the Queen has some level of immunity against criminal prosecution. Even if it IS possible to charge the Queen such actions are unlikely to be wise since you will probably greatly anger the successor or the Queen herself. Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it a good idea!
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:

Bold mine.

First the quote should be taken like this: "Henke and everyone [subject to military tribunals who lacks some form of immunity] who [materially] supported Henke [in her actions in Mesa] could be added to the chopping block."

That doesn't currently include the Queen because she hasn't supported Henke in Mesa. Henke made sure the Queen could straight up disown the actions. If they let a Solly nation take over and mete out punishments that would pretty clearly show a total lack of support for Henke. One who is leaving the League and hates Manpower wouldn't have reason to attempt a frame-up or cover-up.

Its also possible the Queen has some level of immunity against criminal prosecution. Even if it IS possible to charge the Queen such actions are unlikely to be wise since you will probably greatly anger the successor or the Queen herself. Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it a good idea!

A few obvious points

1. Commanders who refuse to fight generally get nowhere particularly if those left behind win.

2. It could be argued that things done by Mesa could be construed as acts of war.

3. To go after Henke for bombarding Mesa, you would have to have evidence that she did so. That does not exist and she would have quite a few subordinates that would swear to it. That would include Touville.

4. The opposition is a mess. The Conservatives are being smashed down because of their previous corruption. The Liberals are split and Cathy Montaigne is quite friendly with Henke. San Martin has joined the KINGDOM and is very centrist. There will not be an effective opposition for a long time.

5. If the opposition wins sometime in the future, going after national heroes is a dumb way to lose power once again. It is likely that once the fighting is over a real lot of the top people will not stay in the navy. Honor is likely to want to raise kids and Henke will probably do diplomacy. Caparelli will probably retire. But their adherents will move to the top.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:2. It could be argued that things done by Mesa could be construed as acts of war.
Yeah, which is why you need people like Hope on the jury! :twisted:

Return to Honorverse