Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests

Honorverse & Cellular automata

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse & Cellular automata
Post by The E   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 am

The E
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

cthia wrote:The Manticore Binary System

There is also a notion of minimum density.

minimum density
Image

If a living square has no other living squares nearby, the rules say it will die of loneliness.

If a living square is surrounded by more than three other living squares, the square will also die, of overcrowding.

If a dead square is surrounded by three live squares, it becomes linked. The Manticore Binary System—Manticore, Sphinx, Gryphon.


Dead square = unsettled Binary system.


Yeah, see, this is what I mean by tortured analogy. In this analogy, what's a system with a single inhabited planet? What about one with 4 settled planets? What does the study of cellular automata say about them? Do they die off, or cause overcrowding leading to eventual extinction?

And what does this say about the Star Kingdom and its annexation of Basilisk and the incorporation of San Martin?
Top
Re: Honorverse & Cellular automata
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10470
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

This particular oscillator, which puts me in the mind of the Manticore Binary system, is a two period oscillator. Which somehow reminds me of the changing RZ.

Image

IINM that the RZ does change.

.
Last edited by cthia on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: Honorverse & Cellular automata
Post by The E   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 am

The E
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Bielefeld, Germany

cthia wrote:This particular oscillator, which puts me in the mind of the Manticore Binary system, is a two period oscillator. Which somehow reminds me of the changing RZ.

Image


Oh, so it doesn't have anything to do with planets and how many there are or how populated they are, it's just that this oscillating structure eternally switching states that reminds you of the particular properties of the MWJ and its interactions with hyper travel around Manticore?

So what was all that stuff about
If a dead square is surrounded by three live squares, it becomes linked. The Manticore Binary System—Manticore, Sphinx, Gryphon.


about? Does it have meaning?
Top
Re: Honorverse & Cellular automata
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 10470
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

cthia wrote:The Manticore Binary System

There is also a notion of minimum density.

minimum density
Image

If a living square has no other living squares nearby, the rules say it will die of loneliness.

If a living square is surrounded by more than three other living squares, the square will also die, of overcrowding.

If a dead square is surrounded by three live squares, it becomes linked. The Manticore Binary System—Manticore, Sphinx, Gryphon.


Dead square = unsettled Binary system.
The E wrote:Yeah, see, this is what I mean by tortured analogy. In this analogy, what's a system with a single inhabited planet? What about one with 4 settled planets? What does the study of cellular automata say about them? Do they die off, or cause overcrowding leading to eventual extinction?

And what does this say about the Star Kingdom and its annexation of Basilisk and the incorporation of San Martin?

I really do not know E. I was hoping someone could tell me. :lol:

By sharing some of that natural, instinctual insight. I'm certainly no expert on cellular automata, though I have used it in several of my programming projects with great success. Its utility seems to be infinite.

Certainly, I do not mean to insinuate that any comparisons that I draw are written in stone. And surely, any item could be used to represent (predict, support, explain) several, or more, things.

Regarding the systems with 1 or 4 neighbors and "do they die off?" Who knows, perhaps only time will tell as these are period oscillators. Denoting a matter of time between events, which may or may not have come to pass.

Also, if you study cellular automata, you will question what happens to any particular rule if acted upon by an outside force, e.g., Grayson becoming a part of the Alliance and NOT eventually succumbing to the League.

At any rate, cellular automata and the Honorverse are simply parts of things that make me go hmm.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top

Return to Honorverse