Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 47 guests

Remaining holes in SLN intel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Remaining holes in SLN intel
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:IINM, textev hasn't gotten him off planet yet. I don't recall the delegation leaving either. I was longing for RFC to wrap that up for us in SoV, even before the worthless Solly junk. Most of us already knew where that crap was headed anyway. But not so much Carmichael. If I had my choice, I'd much rather the author had exposed another card. Like where Carmichael is.

One thing is for certain. If Carmichael is still on planet, he's a wealth of information.
He's probably not even an active military officer. Just a piddly civilian. With no protections from Deneb. Plus, its not like the Manticorians honor the Deneb accords anyway. IIRC, their current military leader surrendered under false pretenses in an attempt to assassinate the enemy leadership. Technically you could argue she only decided to attempt an assassination on enemy leadership when she learned she wasn't going to get special treatment, but seriously? :roll:

I kid, we all know it was Treecat brainwashing that made her do it.
:P
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
cthia wrote:IINM, textev hasn't gotten him off planet yet. I don't recall the delegation leaving either. I was longing for RFC to wrap that up for us in SoV, even before the worthless Solly junk. Most of us already knew where that crap was headed anyway. But not so much Carmichael. If I had my choice, I'd much rather the author had exposed another card. Like where Carmichael is.

One thing is for certain. If Carmichael is still on planet, he's a wealth of information.
He's probably not even an active military officer. Just a piddly civilian. With no protections from Deneb. Plus, its not like the Manticorians honor the Deneb accords anyway. IIRC, their current military leader surrendered under false pretenses in an attempt to assassinate the enemy leadership. Technically you could argue she only decided to attempt an assassination on enemy leadership when she learned she wasn't going to get special treatment, but seriously? :roll:

I kid, we all know it was Treecat brainwashing that made her do it.
:P

Are we reading the same books? Who surrendered in an attempt to assassinate enemy leadership? Closest thing is Honor Harrington and she was nowhere near Haven.

Actually, Manticore does follow the Deneb Accords and so does Haven. Tourville sat on the court martial after Hyacinth for Peeps who didn't follow it. Yes, the Pierre government, etc. didn't follow them but Prichart has.

As for Carmichael, he is a diplomat. If held and damaged, the Mandarins could have a lot to pay for.
Post by tlb   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:08 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:Are we reading the same books? Who surrendered in an attempt to assassinate enemy leadership? Closest thing is Honor Harrington and she was nowhere near Haven.

Actually, Manticore does follow the Deneb Accords and so does Haven. Tourville sat on the court martial after Hyacinth for Peeps who didn't follow it. Yes, the Pierre government, etc. didn't follow them but Prichart has.

As for Carmichael, he is a diplomat. If held and damaged, the Mandarins could have a lot to pay for.

I believe that was a joke about the destruction of the Tepes and the death of Cordelia Ransom.
The problem for Carmichael is that the Solarian League is not obligated to protect diplomatic immunity - if I remember correctly.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 am

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:
Are we reading the same books? Who surrendered in an attempt to assassinate enemy leadership? Closest thing is Honor Harrington and she was nowhere near Haven.

Yup, Honor throwing Nimitz at Ransom because she was going to have Nimitz killed. :P [/propaganda]

ldwechsler wrote:As for Carmichael, he is a diplomat. If held and damaged, the Mandarins could have a lot to pay for.
Well, we already know they're violating the Edict, so I don't really think they care. They're dead if they lose anyway. Besides, Manticore has a reputation for execution by Pulsar dart. Its very humane. Plus they'd probably get a trial so that might add days onto their lifespans!

Although really using Carmichael as just an intelligence asset is a waste. Better plan, bust in, grab everyone that matters in the Embassy. Hold them in separate cells. The Holo only has history shows about the Final War and various Edict violations. A few days later explain that Beowulf is blatantly committing treason and you kicked them from the League. Put them on their diplo boat back to Beowulf.

Carmichael now explains the horrifying truth. He had been ordered to unleash a bioweapon on the enemy capital world by his head of state. He was told that Henke would nuke Mesa, so he would need to be ready when people started blaming Manticore. He was told that the Malign was a fabrication, which meant that encouraging any efforts to investigate them could backfire on Manticore. While the history channels were playing it was like someone took out his brain and gave him a non-evil one. Repeat this in front of a Treecat to prove its true. He will act devastated and be very non-talkative.

Of course, the Manticorian Carmichael had a brain transplant and this is really all a Solarian spy who happens to be named Carmichael.

Beowulf should vaporize the Manticorian and Grand Alliance fleets for you! Oh and your spy unleashes a bioweapon on Manticore at some point because his head of state ordered him too.
Post by cthia   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor talking to Kingsford bOggles tHe mInd.

...and the Salamander peered into the HD monitor, feeling the power course through her veins from the many souls sitting in the metal about her, and her cold brown eyes, this time, were even harder than flint. "We'll be expecting the delivery of Sir Lyman Carmichael and his entire delegation within the hour."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Honor talking to Kingsford bOggles tHe mInd.

...and the Salamander peered into the HD monitor, feeling the power course through her veins from the many souls sitting in the metal about her, and her cold brown eyes, this time, were even harder than flint. "We'll be expecting the delivery of Sir Lyman Carmichael within the hour."

Another potential use for Carmichal! Take some nanomachines. Make them capable of hanging in the air (like mist.) Make them carnivorous, self replicating, able to destructively image brains/nerves, and then simulate said brain. (You'll need to distribute the simulation obviously.) Ideally they will be modular and able assemble into something like a human form, except extra strong and highly resilient to damage. Failing that you can have some specialized nanobots that can act as artificial neurons and seize control of people's bodies. The brain simulation can easily be used as the nanoswarms AI. With a little bit of code from cybernetics and a bit of code from VR you'll have no trouble creating an interface between the brain simulation and normal nano programs. You can use a similar trick to interrogate "people". :twisted:

When you return Carmichael return him with a nanocloud inside. You'll need to find a fanatic to be consumed and have their brain simulated. Your nannies kill everyone like its a bad horror HD. The best part is this is all legal since the AI will only target members of the military.

When "Honor" returns triumphant no one will ever suspect that she's actually a horrifying superweapon. I mean, the Treecats will, but by that time its already far, far too late.

The main problems I see are that any slight errors in simulation or psychological assessment of the chosen martyr could lead the nanocloud to turn against you and the end of all things human. But its a risk I'm sure the Mandarins would be willing to take.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

...and the Salamander peered into the HD monitor, feeling the power course through her veins from the many souls sitting in the metal about her, and her cold brown eyes, this time, were even harder than flint. "We'll be expecting the delivery of Sir Lyman Carmichael within the hour."

Another potential use for Carmichal! Take some nanomachines. Make them capable of hanging in the air (like mist.) Make them carnivorous, self replicating, able to destructively image brains/nerves, and then simulate said brain. (You'll need to distribute the simulation obviously.) Ideally they will be modular and able assemble into something like a human form, except extra strong and highly resilient to damage. Failing that you can have some specialized nanobots that can act as artificial neurons and seize control of people's bodies. The brain simulation can easily be used as the nanoswarms AI. With a little bit of code from cybernetics and a bit of code from VR you'll have no trouble creating an interface between the brain simulation and normal nano programs. You can use a similar trick to interrogate "people". :twisted:

When you return Carmichael return him with a nanocloud inside. You'll need to find a fanatic to be consumed and have their brain simulated. Your nannies kill everyone like its a bad horror HD. The best part is this is all legal since the AI will only target members of the military.

When "Honor" returns triumphant no one will ever suspect that she's actually a horrifying superweapon. I mean, the Treecats will, but by that time its already far, far too late.

The main problems I see are that any slight errors in simulation or psychological assessment of the chosen martyr could lead the nanocloud to turn against you and the end of all things human. But its a risk I'm sure the Mandarins would be willing to take.

Weaponized nanites are against the Eridiani Edict. Doing any of this is a big stride down the dark side rabbit hole.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by kzt   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:Weaponized nanites are against the Eridiani Edict.

No, deploying weaponized nanites against civilians is against the Edict.

Though people who develop such weapons are kind of trying to avoid having people find out exactly what they have been cooking up.

"Terre Haute had received reports that the current Ingeborg regime was developing weaponized nanotech which it intended to employ against Terre Haute. D’Orville proceeded to Ingeborg, where the authorities initially denied any interest in nanotech research. D’Orville declined to believe them and pressed politely, but very firmly, for a face-to-face meeting with Ingeborg System President for Life Adrian Lipsky. After repeated attempts to delay, Lipsky agreed to meet with her aboard Ingeborg Alpha, the largest of the star system’s three artificial habitats.

"Unknown to D’Orville, the laboratory in which the weapon was being developed had lost containment, and the weapon had already contaminated and virtually depopulated the orbital habitat which had contained it, killing over 350,000 people. President for Life Lipsky, who had no intention of admitting that fact to D’Orville (primarily for fear the Solarian League might construe the development of an obviously genocidal weapon as a violation of the Eridani Edict), hoped to meet with D’Orville, convince her that Terre Haute’s fears had been misplaced, send her on her way, and then arrange a plausible “accident” to destroy the contaminated habitat and any evidence of his government’s actions."
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

Theemile wrote:
Weaponized nanites are against the Eridiani Edict. Doing any of this is a big stride down the dark side rabbit hole.
Its only against the Edict if it goes out of control and starts killing civilians. That said, I'm reasonably certain if anyone in the Malign suggested that they would be culled post-haste. This wouldn't be so much as a stride down the dark side rabbit hole, but reaching the bottom of the dark side rabbit hole and then renting a backhoe.
Post by Brigade XO   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Are you channeling Lord Skimper?

Return to Honorverse