Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

Remaining holes in SLN intel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Remaining holes in SLN intel
Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:McBride used the Gamma Center's self destruct. The bomb was placed in the deepest sub-basement when the center was built.

Jack was the only person known to be in the building (other than Isabel Bardasano) who knew the codes for the self-destruct, and the only one with a reason to bypass the two-person safety protocol.

It would have been obvious to a forensic examination that the destruct charge went off, and the number of people who could do that was small. The number that could that by themselves, without anyone else involved, should have been zero. After realizing that Jack was involved with known enemy agents it was a small leap to guess correctly what had happened.
Post by tlb   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Thanx for the textev.

tlb wrote:Why would the Detweilers assume that McBryde was responsible for the Buenaventura explosion? How could he even requisition a nuke without inviting comment? And how would he know to plant it there? So, given that they knew one explosion was due to the seccies, why not consider that it could have been to destroy evidence?

McBride used the Gamma Center's self destruct. The bomb was placed in the deepest sub-basement when the center was built.

Jack was the only person known to be in the building (other than Isabel Bardasano) who knew the codes for the self-destruct, and the only one with a reason to bypass the two-person safety protocol.

Sorry, you are confusing the Suvorov Tower (which was on top of the Gamma Center) with the abandoned Buenaventura (which served as the escape route). The Detweilers thought Jack detonated the bomb in the escape route out of spite, since he could not leave with Anton and Victor.
But how did he manage to get a nuke in place on the escape route? The only reason for initially placing one there (assuming he knew what the route would be) was the same as the real reason: to destroy evidence. But how did he get the bomb?
Post by Joat42   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Joat42
Admiral

quite possibly a cat wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:And if there somehow was an impartial trial, a good defense lawyer would ask exactly how Zilwicki and Cachat set off nuclear devices. And the answer would be that they did not.

Then the prosecutor would cross examine them and show that they helped clearly murderous terrorists steal the nukes and disable the safety features. And that he very clearly ordered one of the nuclear explosions. And that he knew there would be causalities.

Unless the defense lawyer was just suborning perjury. But suborning perjury doesn't make for a good defense lawyer. That just means your willing to break the law.

Before Pritchard set off the nuke, there where no murderous terrorists.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by kzt   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Joat42 wrote:Before Pritchard set off the nuke, there where no murderous terrorists.

Who?
Post by Bluesqueak   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Joat42 wrote:Before Pritchard set off the nuke, there where no murderous terrorists.

Who?

David Pritchard, the guy who bombed Green Pines.
Post by Vince   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Replying to the points made, as well as others made subsequent to the quoted posts:

Bluesqueak wrote:
quite possibly a cat wrote:If the Mandarins can convince the other League worlds that Manticore violated the Epsilon Eridani Edict defeating Manticore will be a trivial task. Manticore is currently placing missiles made by Beowulf in their tubes and around their planets. It would be trivial for Beowulf to sabotage the missiles and obliterate the entire Manticorian navy. As Shannon would say "Oops".

If Manticore gets solidly pinned for violating the Edict they lose.

Well at least assuming the people don't execute their government for it, which I suspect is a distinct possibility. Especially seeing as how Manticore has been saved by the Edict. The Yawata strike would have killed vastly more people if not for the League's Edict protecting Manticore. Hell, what if those stealth ships with unknown origins come back and don't feel like following the Edict the second time around? They'll need to start a bit farther out, but they aren't going to need to scout the location of planets in round two. If Manticore shows the Edict is no longer enforced Manticore is starting down the apocalypse.

I think the main problem with the propaganda aspect is that people are trying to - as the old proverb goes - 'have their cake and eat it.'

Manticore isn't going to get solidly pinned for violating the Edict, because:
a) the Mandarins work for the League, which is now at war with Manticore.
b) The people they are trying to convince (such as Beowulf) know that the League itself, through OFS, has violated the Eridani Edict. Frontier Fleet, under OFS orders, have used KEWs to destroy civilian targets for terror purposes.

c)The people in the Verge and Talbott Quadrant (and on Beowulf) are more likely to regard Mesa and the League as a bunch of liars than they are Manticore.

d) The Manticorans themselves have experience of corrupt regimes accusing their naval heroes of things they didn't do, and tend to react by supporting said hero. See Echoes of Honor.

There's also e) They Didn't Do It.

So while the propaganda may work for those who wish to be convinced by it (see also Echoes of Honor), it won't work for those who don't. Basically, you're going to end up in the same place you were when the propaganda started - one side (the GA) will believe Manticore's version. The other side (Core World League) will believe (or pretend to believe) the Mandarins and Audrey Hanrahan.

The 'have your cake and eat it' principle is particularly in operation if the Mandarins or Hanrahan try and connect Zilwicki and Cachat to Manticore and Haven (rather than Torch, which had already declared war, and was thus entitled to send enemy agents behind the lines).

Because if they connect Zilwicki on the grounds that he's a half-pay officer (if he is) and Cachat on the grounds that he's a Special Officer (which he definitely is), we really are opening the entire 'jurisdiction' can of worms. Zilwicki's entitled to be tried by RMN court martial, not under civilian law at all and Cachat - well, I'm not entirely sure Haven has changed the law that says 'Special Officers do whatever the heck they think is necessary.'

The only other jurisdiction is Mesa, currently in the process of a) suffering a major revolt and b) being invaded. Admittedly Zilwicki and Cachat are on Mesa right now, but who's going to be running the court system?

I also can't help thinking that the MAlign have been too clever for their own good. That is, they've set Manticore up as the patsy for all those nuclear explosions, but anyone who examines the locations is going to very quickly find out that the RMN appears to be incredibly incompetent. Because the bombs went off at the wrong locations - they're not targeting tactical locations, and they also make no sense for terrorising the Mesan slaveholders.

Why on Mesa would a navy come in, guns blazing, and blow up an isolated nature reserve? Especially since the Admiral concerned has a previous reputation for surgical strikes?

Actually, Mesa has ceased to exist as a jurisdiction governed by the local citizens. Mesa, upon surrender by the local authorities to the GA forces, immediately transitions to GA military territory governed under martial law of the GA forces, with the locals having no governing powers, similar to Meyers when Tenth Fleet visited there, until Mike had the Meyers King & Prime Minister set up an independent government.

Also, consider this quote: "History is written by the victors." Mesa (not to be confused with the Mesan Alignment) lost, and will no longer be writing anything (including propoganda), probably for a considerable while. When they do start writing history, it will most likely be by the Mesan group previously known as the seccies.

Another consideration: The Epsilani Eridani Edict does not apply to your own territory. No less of an authority than the Solarian League says so:
Shadow of Victory, Chapter 35 wrote:“If we don’t have ground troops, we’ll have to do it another way,” MacCrimmon interrupted. “From orbit.”
Osborne looked at him in shock. Surely he couldn’t mean…
“As the President of the Loomis System, I can request military assistance from the League on my own authority,” MacCrimmon went on in a flat, terrible voice. “Please inform Captain Venelli that I’m invoking the assistance clause of our agreement with the Office of Frontier Security. Secretary Boyle and Secretary MacQuarie will provide the targeting coordinates.”
“He can’t be serious.” Francine Venelli stared at the face on her com display. “That would…that would—”
“That would kill a hell of a lot of people,” Frinkelo Osborne filled in for her. “Unfortunately, it’s not our call.”
“Not our call?” Venelli glanced across her desk at Commander Bryson Neng, Hoplite’s executive officer. Then she looked back at Osborne. “Forgive me for pointing this out,” she said more than a little caustically, “but whether or not it’s our call, it’ll damned well be our KEWs!”
“I realize that, Captain.” Osborne closed his eyes for a moment, then shrugged, his expression unhappy. “Unfortunately, Frontier Security signed a standard assistance agreement with the MacMinns over thirty T-years ago. And under its terms, the President is entitled to ask for—and the League is obligated to provide—‘all required military assistance’ when the local government determines that it’s necessary.”
“Excuse me, Mr. Frinkelo,” Neng put in, “but this is exactly what the Eridani Edict is intended to prevent, and the Constitution obligates the League to enforce the Eridani Edict, not violate it!”
“I’d love to tell the locals that,” Osborne said bitterly. “But Attorney General MacGwyer’s already pointed out to me that the Eridani Edict specifically exempts planetary governments dealing with insurrection and civil war. And Secretary of War Boyle’s assured me that he’s prepared to sign off on the target list as constituting actual military objectives, not simply terror strikes.” He raised one palm-up hand into his com’s field of view in a gesture of helplessness. “So the bottom line is that they really can ‘request’ this.”
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.

Since Mesa surrendered, Mesa is GA occupied territory, under martial law. Therefore, whoever set off the nukes when the GA was in orbit were simply terrorists and mass murderers.

Also consider:
Changer of Worlds, From the Highlands wrote:She waved her arms. "Don't say it, Anton! I know the Navy officially suppresses the slave trade. Even does so in real life, now and again. Though not once since the war started. They're too preoccupied, they say."
Anton scowled even more deeply. Cathy waved her arms again. "All right, all right," she growled, "they are preoccupied with fighting the Peeps. But even before the war started, the only instance where the Navy ever hit the Mesan slave trade with a real hammer is when—"
Both of them broke into wide grins, now. The news of the incredible mass escape from the Peep prison planet of Hell was still fresh in everyone's mind.
"—when Harrington smashed up the depot on Casimir," she concluded. The countess snorted. "What was she, then? A measly lieutenant commander? God, I love impetuous youth!"
Anton nodded. "Yeah. Almost derailed her career before it even got started. Probably would have, if Courvoisier hadn't twisted some Conservative admirals' arms out of their sockets. And if—"
He gazed at her steadily. "—a certain young and impetuous left-wing countess hadn't given a blistering speech on the floor of the House of Lords, demanding to know why the first time a naval officer fully enforced the laws against the slave trade she wasn't getting a medal for it instead of carping criticism."
Cathy smiled. "It was a good speech, if I say so myself. Almost as good as the one that got me pitched out of the House of Lords entirely."
Anton snorted. Although membership in the Manticoran House of Lords was hereditary, not elective, the Lords did have the right under law to officially exclude one of its own members. But given the natural tendency of aristocrats to give full weight to lineage, it was very rarely done. To the best of Anton's knowledge, at the present moment there were no more than three nobles who had had their membership in the Lords revoked. One of them, the Earl of Seaview, had been expelled only after he was convicted in a court of law of gross personal crimes—which all the members of the Lords had long known were his vices, but had chosen to look the other way over. The other two were Honor Harrington and Catherine Montaigne, for having, each in her own way, deeply offended the precious sensibilities of Manticore's aristocracy.
Anton cleared his throat. "Actually, Cathy, that speech is why I'm here."
She paused in her jerky pacing and cocked her head. "Since when does a Crown Loyalist study the old speeches of someone who even aggravates Liberals and Progressives?"
He smiled. "Believe it or not, Cathy, that speech made quite a hit in the highlands. As it happens, one of our Gryphon yeomen was on trial at the time. Shot the local baron—eight times—for molesting his daughter. The prosecutor argued that a murderer is a murderer. The defense countered by quoting your speech."
"The part about 'one person's terrorist being another's freedom fighter,' I should imagine."
Italics are the author's, boldface is my emphasis.

Again remember that "History is written by the victors." The victors, not those on the losing side, get to judge who is a terrorist and who is a freedom fighter. This has been true throughout human history, and no doubt will be continue to be true as long as humans are writing history. The Mesan authorities lost the revolution that Anton and Cachat supported. Therefore, Anton and Cachat are freedom fighters, not terrorists or murderers.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by tlb   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:Again remember that "History is written by the victors." The victors, not those on the losing side, get to judge who is a terrorist and who is a freedom fighter. This has been true throughout human history, and no doubt will be continue to be true as long as humans are writing history. The Mesan authorities lost the revolution that Anton and Cachat supported. Therefore, Anton and Cachat are freedom fighters, not terrorists or murderers.

If the blurb for UH in Amazon is true, then sometime before the end of November this discussion becomes moot.

For the record, I never expected Anton Zilwicki nor Victor Cachet to face trial anywhere. Instead my expectation (which may also soon be moot) was that charges of an Edict violation, which would very difficult to disprove, would affect the Grand Alliance's ability to break any core world away from the League. That difficulty would put roadblocks in the way of the Harrington plan. It sounds as though that Gordian Knot might be solved the way the original one was.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

tlb wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:How many average Solarian citizens know that, though?

Anyone with any sense who actually looks for an answer can see it wasn't Manticore but those who believe what their leaders tell them are another matter.

We know there are a few people of sense in the SL that are looking to uncover corruption in the upper ranks of the SLN and they also know there is an unknown force that attacked the Manticore home system in a way that no one should have been able to accomplish.

But where would this "anyone with sense" look to see that the explosions on Mesa were not caused by Manticore nor its allies? Obviously we know it because we have read the books, but an average person has no way to approach that problem. I do not think that their planetary leaders have made up their minds, but I expect the Mandarins will see this as a golden opportunity.

It doesn't make any military sense and Manticore isn't known for being harsh to civilians. Put those together and it's not likely to be Manticore.

While Google obviously doesn't work between worlds I would expect every up-to-date world (core worlds, perhaps not verge worlds) to have a copy of basically all the news from human space. Usenet via ship should work perfectly well and the data space needed is trivial compared to what computers of their day could hold.
Post by kzt   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:24 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:It doesn't make any military sense and Manticore isn't known for being harsh to civilians. Put those together and it's not likely to be Manticore.

Oh, come on. Everyone knows they are baby-eating neobarbs. It says so right here in the Education ‘Style manual’. Page 337. “All references to Manticore or Manticorans are to be proceeded with phrase ‘militaristic neo-barbarian’ and exclude the phrases ‘Star Kingdom’ or ‘Star Empire’. Any references to titles should be proceeded with the phrase ‘so-called’.”
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:How many average Solarian citizens know that, though?

Anyone with any sense who actually looks for an answer can see it wasn't Manticore but those who believe what their leaders tell them are another matter.

We know there are a few people of sense in the SL that are looking to uncover corruption in the upper ranks of the SLN and they also know there is an unknown force that attacked the Manticore home system in a way that no one should have been able to accomplish.

But where would this "anyone with sense" look to see that the explosions on Mesa were not caused by Manticore nor its allies? Obviously we know it because we have read the books, but an average person has no way to approach that problem. I do not think that their planetary leaders have made up their minds, but I expect the Mandarins will see this as a golden opportunity.
Loren Pechtel wrote:It doesn't make any military sense and Manticore isn't known for being harsh to civilians. Put those together and it's not likely to be Manticore.

While Google obviously doesn't work between worlds I would expect every up-to-date world (core worlds, perhaps not verge worlds) to have a copy of basically all the news from human space. Usenet via ship should work perfectly well and the data space needed is trivial compared to what computers of their day could hold.

Hence, the reputation—of which I spoke of earlier—that the Manties have been so busy forging since the beginning of time.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse