Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

[Spoiler - UH] utube snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: [Spoiler - UH] utube snippet
Post by n7axw   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

They can use him as an intelligence asset while keeping him in jail. Those two things are in no way mutually exclusive.[/quote]

Where would be the elegance in plot with that? Bo-o-r-r-ing!! :lol:

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Didn't he receive the contingency protocols at the Gamma Center, administered by none other than Bardasano? Or was that pending?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bluesqueak   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Didn't he receive the contingency protocols at the Gamma Center, administered by none other than Bardasano? Or was that pending?

Pending. He got rushed through too fast for them to have time to do the DNA tailoring; the intention was to fit the suicide nanites on his next visit. Then Collin Detweiler didn't get the memo about it, owing to the memo being blown up in Jack McBryde's cyber-attack.

Damien Hararap is a character who really has the author on his side... :lol:
Post by TangoLima   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:00 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Who knows that they have Harahap.
The highest levels of the SEM, Haven and Grayson,
The other side 'knows' he isn't bonded with a treecat.
Give him bioscult and keep it quiet and the MAlignment
will not have a clue. You can hide him in plain sight.
Agents go missing on operations, missing assumed dead.
I believe the is the sinmplest solution
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:10 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TangoLima wrote:Who knows that they have Harahap.
The highest levels of the SEM, Haven and Grayson,
The other side 'knows' he isn't bonded with a treecat.
Give him bioscult and keep it quiet and the MAlignment
will not have a clue. You can hide him in plain sight.
Agents go missing on operations, missing assumed dead.
I believe the is the sinmplest solution

Once he's bonded, other treecats can talk with his cat and make certain that he's for real. That would go a long way.

Also, he would know that dealing with MAlign would probably mean betraying his treecat. Horribly.

He would be an incredible interrogator. He knows a real lot and with a cat around could push for truth. How about having him assigned to Henke?
Post by saber964   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 pm

saber964
Admiral

Hears what the Alliance is going to with Harahap. Indefinite probation, we interrogate you until we've rung out the bar rag then retirement to sphinx as a SFS backcountry Ranger. Where the rest of the people can keep an beady eye on you.
Post by quite possibly a cat   » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 pm

quite possibly a cat
Captain (Junior Grade)

ldwechsler wrote:
Also, he would know that dealing with MAlign would probably mean betraying his treecat. Horribly.

I'm sure he'd be unwilling to knowingly work with the Malign. But if things look like they might be untenable for him in Manticore he might end up with a nice shiny job/asylum offer in say Visgoth, Line or a similar system. They really want to know what he knows about this Malign. See, they really hated Mesa and genetic slavery, so they want to stop this Malign too. Plus Firebrand and kitty could help find infiltrators.

Actually this might be a solution to any political problems that Firebrand causes by existing. Ship him off with a wink, and them claim ignorance if it comes out he helped kill any Talbot Cluster inhabitants.
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

As soon as Harahap was discovered, I thought to myself 'turn him." He'd make a perfect spy/counterspy -- as in double agent. And why shouldn't he want to go over to the other side? The Malign gave him all of the reasons to want to "defect." They are holding "contingency protocols" over his head. And Harahap is an intelligent individual. It would be better off for him to work for the RMN. Besides, he strikes me as an opportunist, and he only took the job offered by the Malign because he had no choice. They made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.

Problem is, if he decides to become a double agent, he is vulnerable to becoming "conditioned" at the MAlign's earliest convenience.

Also, quite some time ago in the 'Honor and Nimitz and Pavel Young' thread, I broached the subject of a Treecat possibly bonding with a Malign agent or family member, inside or outside of the Onion. I was met with serious opposition then. Treecat's are people and not pets as I said. They are free to bond with whomever they like, if that mindglow is tasty -- for whatever reason.

But the mechanics of bonding is oftentimes hilarious, the people in the near vicinity don't know if it's an attack or what. Remember the scenario I brought up about a treecat bonding with Gustav Anderman? The treecat would be in danger of being shot.

At any rate, the book reading was fantastic, despite the audio. If I get the time, I may run the audio through some filters and eliminate the background noise and all around clean it up a bit.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:As soon as Harahap was discovered, I thought to myself 'turn him." He'd make a perfect spy/counterspy -- as in double agent. And why shouldn't he want to go over to the other side? The Malign gave him all of the reasons to want to "defect." They are holding "contingency protocols" over his head. And Harahap is an intelligent individual. It would be better off for him to work for the RMN. Besides, he strikes me as an opportunist, and he only took the job offered by the Malign because he had no choice. They made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.

Problem is, if he decides to become a double agent, he is vulnerable to becoming "conditioned" at the MAlign's earliest convenience.

He can't be a counterspy. Now he has a treecat which MIGHT just get noticed.

Clearly the "emergency protocols" were not in place. Logical, since he was all over the place. And he was not brought into the ultimate secrets although he clearly figured some of them out/

But most of the people who bond, perhaps just about all, are profoundly affected. At this point, if he has any family at all it is sitting on his shoulder.

He is in some ways the intelligence expert they lost with MacBryde. He doesn't know all that the dead man knows but he knows a real lot. He might also wind up as a sidekick to Zilwicki and Cachat.

Those scenes would be real fun.

Also, quite some time ago in the 'Honor and Nimitz and Pavel Young' thread, I broached the subject of a Treecat possibly bonding with a Malign agent or family member, inside or outside of the Onion. I was met with serious opposition then. Treecat's are people and not pets as I said. They are free to bond with whomever they like, if that mindglow is tasty -- for whatever reason.

But the mechanics of bonding is oftentimes hilarious, the people in the near vicinity don't know if it's an attack or what. Remember the scenario I brought up about a treecat bonding with Gustav Anderman? The treecat would be in danger of being shot.

At any rate, the book reading was fantastic, despite the audio. If I get the time, I may run the audio through some filters and eliminate the background noise and all around clean it up a bit.
Post by JohnRoth   » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia wrote:As soon as Harahap was discovered, I thought to myself 'turn him." He'd make a perfect spy/counterspy -- as in double agent. And why shouldn't he want to go over to the other side? The Malign gave him all of the reasons to want to "defect." They are holding "contingency protocols" over his head. And Harahap is an intelligent individual. It would be better off for him to work for the RMN. Besides, he strikes me as an opportunist, and he only took the job offered by the Malign because he had no choice. They made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.

He can't be a counterspy. Now he has a treecat which MIGHT just get noticed.

Clearly the "emergency protocols" were not in place. Logical, since he was all over the place. And he was not brought into the ultimate secrets although he clearly figured some of them out.

But most of the people who bond, perhaps just about all, are profoundly affected. At this point, if he has any family at all it is sitting on his shoulder.

He is in some ways the intelligence expert they lost with MacBryde. He doesn't know all that the dead man knows but he knows a real lot. He might also wind up as a sidekick to Zilwicki and Cachat.

Those scenes would be real fun.

Your point about a treecat being a bit of a hinderance to a good skulk is quite well taken.

McBryde wasn't a field operative - he was specifically chief of security for the Gamma Center. As security chief he knew a lot of what went on in the Gamma Center, but there were a lot of things he wasn't read in on. I don't think he knew about Janus, for example.

Return to Honorverse